Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

HKS Hipermax RS or Tein flex ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006, 03:51 PM
jiaimZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HKS Hipermax RS or Tein flex ?

Daily driving + week end racing use,same price range.

Little afraid after reading some hks's noises on rear shocks / springs,what about teins?
teins ride isn't too arsh (very high spring settings)?

What would you consider?

Thanks
Old 03-04-2006, 06:36 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jiaimZ
Daily driving + week end racing use,same price range.

Little afraid after reading some hks's noises on rear shocks / springs,what about teins?
teins ride isn't too arsh (very high spring settings)?

What would you consider?

Thanks
Tein has a far greater past history concerning noises, in fact the current flex offering is different from the original offering in two way's. One, they upped the spring rates from 560/560 to 672/672. Second, they changed the upper mount system to use the same system that the CS line uses. They were experiencing a problem where the car's rear structure was resonating in tune with the dampners and causing excess noise. You will still find posts of complaints about this noise even amoung owner's that have the newer flex setups with the different upper mounts. But that is not to say it remain's a mass problem.

Concerning ride quality with 672lbs spring rates. If you search out flex owner review's, you will find owner comments that do speak of harshness even at the softest dampner settings. I highly recommend that you seek out a owner local to you that has them on the car and ask for a ride alone.

The flex does have the spec advantage of being able to set the car's ride height without adjusting spring preload. But, if your not going to corner weight the car, I don't know how much I can harp on that point. RS review's have tended to be rather good. You may want to try and visit any post where the owner talked about the noise and see if you can get the owner to comment about the noise. It is a real world bother? For example, do you rear it 24/7. The meagan racing coilover's I tested made noise's, but I felt that since it was only around town and only for a breif time when my rev's and speed were low, I didn't see the point in commenting on it since I only heard the noises infrequently and certainly never on the highway just to say it.

Tein Flex (twin tube construction, adjustable dampners
Full-length adjustment and height adjustment for separate setting of the height and spring preload
Spring rates 672/672
Side Note: Extremely high spring rates mean even when the adjustable damping is set as low as possible, you may not find ride quality happiness, several reports of this setups harshness exist Yet a few owner comment’s of a “like stock ride quality” also exist. However given the fact that they use a spring stiffness that’s over 100% stiffer then oem, if ride quality is of concern, either hitch a ride in a car equipped with them or make a different choice. In addition, several review’s have been done by people actually having the original more softly sprung Tein Flex coilovers do not take their comments to mean the same as the one using the current product, the original product specs are listed below under Tein Flex JDM.

Tein Flex JDM specs (can be special ordered est 10-12 weeks delivery)
Full-length adjustment and height adjustment for separate setting of the height and spring preload
Spring rates 560/560
Side Note: This is the original specs first offered in the U.S. with the Flex, shortly after it’s introduction the specs changed to those listed further above (672/672)

HKS RS (Monotube construction, adjustable dampning)
Spring rates 448/448
Special Note: “Marketed” as HKS’s track coil over with a good street ride.
$1600 when on sale Owner review's have a simular flavor as the Zeal coilover's, they are very will liked.

G35 sedan 6mt
Koni coilover front 448lbs
Koni shock rear 342lbs
Hotchkis front bar set to med
350EVO rear bar set to med
Crawford plen
Custom TD injen
HF cats
K&N panel
Rogue short shifter
Enkei RPM2
BfGoodrich KD
245/40-18
265/40-18
Old 03-04-2006, 07:29 AM
jiaimZ

thank for the very cool response !

I use this forum prior because in France, there's no tuning shops like yours who sell all that stuff, only buying from the states , and it's cheaper to do that (too many taxes here )
Old 03-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hands down the HKS
Old 03-09-2006, 02:16 PM
Will Pwr

The HKS's make less noise than the Teins.....thats from personal experience with both
Old 03-09-2006, 03:00 PM
350Zteve

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Tien's and love them. They don't make any noise at all. When I researched mine, the threads on noise were related to the older version which used spherical bearings in the upper mounts. Now they use urethane to stop the noise.

I must say though that the Tiens are much stiffer than the HKS, so you should try and get a ride in a car with Tiens to make sure you're comfortable with the spring rates.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Will Pwr

Originally Posted by 350Zteve
I have the Tien's and love them. They don't make any noise at all. When I researched mine, the threads on noise were related to the older version which used spherical bearings in the upper mounts. Now they use urethane to stop the noise.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that in my earlier post....sorry.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:17 AM
jinsei888

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hks pwn3d stupid "barely rear-lowering" Teins
Old 03-12-2006, 11:53 AM
jhp1025

HKS definately.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:15 PM
350z4steve

Having had JIC and now HKS I would def go for the HKS by far for street and track. Excellent ride on street.