Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

D-spec Suspension setup questions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 01:56 PM
KhanMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D-spec Suspension setup questions?

So I plan i purchasing D-spec shocks for the my car. Now I drive a G35 sedan with the sports suspension and would like a 1in drop at most. I was also thinking about geting 06 350Z springs to lower it a bit. Now what I want to know is should I be going with the 350Z D-specs or the G35 D-specs? Also, would I be better off with 350Z springs or keeping my stock spings? Thank you.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KhanMan
So I plan i purchasing D-spec shocks for the my car. Now I drive a G35 sedan with the sports suspension and would like a 1in drop at most. I was also thinking about geting 06 350Z springs to lower it a bit. Now what I want to know is should I be going with the 350Z D-specs or the G35 D-specs? Also, would I be better off with 350Z springs or keeping my stock spings? Thank you.
I would get the oem Z springs and 350Z D-specs. If you stick with your oem springs, get G35 D-specs.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:22 PM
KhanMan

Thank you. Would you recomend the D-spec with stock g35 or 350Z springs or would you recomend either the D-spec G35 or 350Z with the D-spec springs? Will the D-spec for the G35 lower my car more than I want? Will there be any camber issues or anything else I should be worreid about?

Where is the best place to get either the G35 or 350Z d-spec or than the Zstore? Thank you.

Last edited by KhanMan; 05-05-2006 at 09:34 PM.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:22 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

wheelautohaus.com talk to them
Old 05-06-2006, 06:50 AM
Gsedan35

Thank you. Would you recomend the D-spec with stock g35 or 350Z springs or would you recomend either the D-spec G35 or 350Z with the D-spec springs? Will the D-spec for the G35 lower my car more than I want? Will there be any camber issues or anything else I should be worreid about?

Where is the best place to get either the G35 or 350Z d-spec other than the Zstore? Thank you.
Well, to be frank I do care for the fender gaps that oem sedan's come with from the factory at all. So, of course I'm going to say to get the oem Z springs. And I can reinforce that by saying that they only drop the car 1", if you make sure to get oem Z springs off of a 03/04 Z (also called "unrevised") you'll be getting springs that have the SAME stiffness as your taller oem sedan sport springs. Furthermore, camber settings with the drop are not so bad that your going to experience excess tire wear. So as far as what D-spec shock, refer to my post above. Where to buy the shocks, I'd start with the sponcering vendors on the board and check shipped prices and their in stock status. Will you also be installing aftermarket sway bars?

To help you here is a picture of my sedan when it was delivered at oem ride height.

Now with a oem Z spring drop.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:21 PM
KhanMan

Man that is a nice sedan. With the drop the car looks clean and nice specially with those wheels. What shocks do you have? The d-specs? One more question will the D-spec with the unrevised springs cause any ride harshness? Because I am looking for something that is imporves handling by a solid amount with out really ruining the ride quality. I know alone they can be a problem but with the d-specs I dunno much about. Thank you

btw how much drop does the d-spec springs give?
Old 05-07-2006, 11:38 AM
KhanMan

Also, would I have to worry about any alignment issues once the shocks and springs are installed? Thank you.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:40 PM
Gsedan35

Man that is a nice sedan. With the drop the car looks clean and nice specially with those wheels. What shocks do you have? The d-specs? One more question will the D-spec with the unrevised springs cause any ride harshness? Because I am looking for something that is imporves handling by a solid amount with out really ruining the ride quality. I know alone they can be a problem but with the d-specs I dunno much about. Thank you

btw how much drop does the d-spec springs give?
Thanks. I'm running Koni shocks, but that's a really long story. I have helped two other G35 owner's install Tokico D-specs on their cars and afterwards I got to drive in both cars. One car had oem coupe springs, the other had unrevised oem Z springs. Both car's were set at the half way point. In short, D-specs are worth every penny that they cost, much better shock behavior vs oem, no harshness whatsoever.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Gsedan35

Also, would I have to worry about any alignment issues once the shocks and springs are installed? Thank you.
I didn't have a issue with alignment, when I got the car aligned I was within or close to the slighty more aggressive specs that the coupe uses. Just to say it, I could have gotten the rear into sedan specs, but I didn't want that.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:27 PM
KhanMan

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Thanks. I'm running Koni shocks, but that's a really long story. I have helped two other G35 owner's install Tokico D-specs on their cars and afterwards I got to drive in both cars. One car had oem coupe springs, the other had unrevised oem Z springs. Both car's were set at the half way point. In short, D-specs are worth every penny that they cost, much better shock behavior vs oem, no harshness whatsoever.
So with these shocks you are saying that the 03/04 springs you will notice less harshness? Also, is how many versions of the d-spec shocks are there? I have seen ads for 16way(or was it 12way) and 6way adjustable? Thank you.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:08 AM
Nano

So with these shocks you are saying that the 03/04 springs you will notice less harshness? Also, is how many versions of the d-spec shocks are there? I have seen ads for 16way(or was it 12way) and 6way adjustable? Thank you.
I believe they are ifinitetely adjustable between the hardest and softest setting. 16way refers to the number of turns, not really relevant. As far as I know there is only 1 version.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Gsedan35

No.

One version of D-specs, though IIRC it was easier to adjust them in 8 click's vs trying to set them as if they have 16 clicks (what your finger's can sense as a half click if that makes sense. )
Old 05-08-2006, 06:50 PM
KhanMan

Oh I see thank you. One last question, how much of an (de?)improvement in cornering and ride quality would I expect over stock? Would I just be better off with the d-spec springs that could come with it?

Last edited by KhanMan; 05-08-2006 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:29 PM
KhanMan

Okay so I just saw in the market place something about extender adjusters for the D-spec. I have the premium model G35 which means I have the reclining seats but since I am getting the 350Z version with 350Z spings would that mean I need this or no?
here
Old 05-11-2006, 06:59 PM
KhanMan

Anyone?
Old 05-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Gsedan35

Oh I see thank you. One last question, how much of an (de?)improvement in cornering and ride quality would I expect over stock? Would I just be better off with the d-spec springs that could come with it?
The lowered center of gravity has it's benefit's. And better shock control add's to this. I can't comment too much on gains since I do not know how you will set the shocks stiffness wise. I like the car more when it is on the firm side.

I do not recommend D-spec springs ment for the G35 coupe (some ebay reseller's incorrectly define the shock and spring setup as coupe/sedan).
Old 05-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Gsedan35

Okay so I just saw in the market place something about extender adjusters for the D-spec. I have the premium model G35 which means I have the reclining seats but since I am getting the 350Z version with 350Z spings would that mean I need this or no?
here

Which version of shock you go with will have no effect on if the adjusters will be of benefit to you. Their value can only be defined by you since the 'should I" part of the buying decision ultimately depends on how often you think you'll want to adjust the rear shocks. (I bought my Nismo adjustable end links for the same board member, excellent person to do business with just to say it).
Old 05-11-2006, 10:01 PM
KhanMan

Oh okay i see thank you.