Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

My suspension is messed up... HELP....

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 06:42 AM
MyV6IsFast3r

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My suspension is messed up... HELP....

Ok, my setup includes 18" Work wheels with 245/275 Kuhmo MX tires, Front Progress sway bar set to full stiff, Tein STech springs, and GT SPec rear tie brace. The rear sway and front tie brace are on the way before you ask about that.

My question is, why and I getting so much overstear?????? With the rear sway being stock and the front being stiff you would think I would have understear, but no everytime I turn a corner a little faster and give her some gas the rear end gets so loose it's not funny. Don't get me wrong I love to drift around corners, but really I don't like how squirly the rear end wants to get. I want the car to glide around corners without haveing to worry about where the rear end will end up.... Any suggestions??? I though it may be the tires, but they are supposed to be pretty sticky? Could it be the roads, tires, or something in the way my suspension is set up?

Thanks
Old 05-12-2006, 11:10 AM
rawdeelux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when is the oversteering happening? in the beginning, middle or last part of the turn. i don't think your suspension is messed up i think it might be the way you drive. the rear will always step out if you get on the gas too hard especially with the torque of the v6. maybe try being softer when you apply the gas. i'd also have your alignment checked. you might have too much toe out.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:34 PM
MyV6IsFast3r

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't driven it a whole lot, the alignment was adjusted back to spec after the springs went on. I was planning on having it done again with the new wheels and sway bars and all this comming week. I don't get on it too hard, just gradual, and in the middle of the turn the rear end wants to come around, even way before im even half way on the gas.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:50 PM
plastiketa

what kind of tires are you using? Whats their treadwear rating? How much tread do you have left on the rears?
Old 05-13-2006, 04:24 AM
MoodDude

It could be your wheels are not wide enough for 275's. Thus, the tire is rolling over and would cause oversteer.
What is your wheel width and what is your rear tire size (side wall)?

Or could it be your driving style? Try braking early and keeping her speed constant (at the speed where you oversteer) in a constant radius turn, does she do it then?

I loned my GRM (Grassroots Motorsports) that has a great write up on how to tune the suspension. And it is not as easy as just changing the sways. I don't have it now, but it does have tips on this exact condition and what to do - sorry. Go to the book store and look for the May issue. I think Kolia was going to put it on his server?
Old 05-13-2006, 07:17 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ah, you've thrown on a front sway bar that your assuming is stiffer then oem. Thing is, at 33mm it's thinner then the oem bar. Add to this the fact that your car may have had the revised suspension. Part of the revision was a change to the front sway bar where they made it stiffer by using thicker hollow walls. So, their is a distict chance that even at full stiff you may not have upped your front bar stiffness by much at all.

How are you rolling into the throttle when the rear starts to come out? When it does is, kinda sounds like it's doing so in a unruley fashion, true?

"Alignment is back to spec",.....can you please post the after specs for camber and toe, making sure to label what is negitive or positive?

I used to have MX's on my car. Only when outside temps got really high in excess of 100 degree's did I ever see them get greasy when run hard. But I would like to know what psi your running front to rear?