Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Urgent for rotora bbk owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Sisith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent for rotora bbk owners

Hey all, I have the rotora 6 caliper front and 4 caliper rears. I recently went in to get my brakes services because of a severe vibration while braking. I knew it was a warped rotor before going in but I just wanted to make sure it wasnt something else. I got all the rotors turned (fyi you can only do it one time as per rotora's instruction) and when I came back to pick up the car i noticed the rotor 's holes and slots were sweeping backwards. I asked the guy why they had turned all the rotors backwards and he said "no, now they are facing the right direction. they were on wrong before." I checked myself and the vanes inside the rotors do definately go the opposite direction of the slots and holes on the outside. He also said that this might have caused the rotor to warp.

I have always seen pics of bbk's and the vanes are all sweeping forward for a more aggresive look, so I never even bothered to check if they were installed the right way. I urge other rotora owners to make sure the vanes on their rotors are going the right direction. If they are sweeping backwards then they arent getting any airflow and dont cool down. I dont know if mine are the only exception with the slots and holes facing the opposite direction of the vanes but just dbl check to be sure to save you the costs of having to replace the rotors (quoted $600/axle from rotora).

Oh and also after I got them machined, the braking is much softer yet slows the car down MUCH better than before. It used to slam me into the windsheild if I even thought of touching the brake pedal.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:59 PM
J Ritt

Here's what the vane direction should look like:

Oh and also after I got them machined, the braking is much softer yet slows the car down MUCH better than before. It used to slam me into the windsheild if I even thought of touching the brake pedal.
Make sure you do a good bed-in on the kit, and you'll be set:
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...contents.shtml
Old 05-25-2006, 02:23 PM
Sisith

shouldnt that pic be of the right side rotor so that the vanes pull air into the rotor? thats what the guy at the brake place was telling me
Old 05-26-2006, 09:07 AM
J Ritt

shouldnt that pic be of the right side rotor so that the vanes pull air into the rotor? thats what the guy at the brake place was telling me
That is incorrect, and the picture is correct. Think about that rotor on the left side of the car...spinning. Air is drawn into the center opening on the back side of the rotor (anulus)...not into the outer edge of the rotor. Air is evacuated OUT of the outer edge of the rotor.

That means that you want the leading vane edges (the ones closes to the center of the rotor) cutting into the air like a knife in the direction it's spinning. If you have them oriented in the other direction, air would flow into the center of the rotor and essentially hit a wall because the vanes would stop the air and create turbulence...that means no cooling for you!

You can see on our AeroRotor design, that every other vane is set back away from the one in front of it. That is so airflow into adjacent vanes is not blocked. Also, the shape of our vanes is like a little airplane wing...airflow attaches to the vane and speeds up as it exits...less turbulent. The whole thing works like an air pump, and is designed to evacuate as much heat as possible.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:31 AM
Sisith

Thanks a bunch J Ritt, wish rotora had this kind of of detailed instructions on their website. I scheduled an appointment with the brake shop and told them they were installed wrong and they will be switching them for me