Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

New Pads needed for my G, read too many threads, need help deciding!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 03:48 AM
Jellysick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Pads needed for my G, read too many threads, need help deciding!

Well I have searched and searched and searched about replacement pads. I almost just said to hell with it, I'll just go with OEM, but from infiniti-parts.com the fronts alone are $160. I think I can save a lot of money by going with something aftermarket.
My most important concern in the replacement pads is that they stop my car at least as well as the OEM pads do, beyond that, I don't want any noise. My current OEM pads make zero noise, and any screetching or squeeling would not be acceptable. Beyond that, limited brake dust would be a very important aspect as well...
Having said that, I have looked at Project mu and Hawk HPS, and I think I'm leaning towards the project mu. I seem to be getting the same feeling about both. Sometimes they are noisey, sometimes they are quiet. Some say they stop like crap when wet/cold, some say they stop better than OEM pads all the time... you get my point.
Some also say the Carbotech and Satisfied Pro are good too.
Does anyone have any other input? Its frusterating to read about experiences that range all over the spectrum, from excellent reviews to poor reviews - all for the same set of pads!

btw, I have the Brembo brakes
Old 06-12-2006, 08:35 AM
Brian@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Hey Jelly. When choosing brake pads, it can be very confusing as to which set is best for you with so many selections out there. Personally, I've experienced many Endless pads and some Project Mu pads and have not had any complaints with them stopping like crap when it's wet/cold. Dust is limited and brake pedal feel exceeds the stock unit's abilities. If you have any questions, feel free to give me a call. Here are some links to some pads on our website.
http://mynismo.com/products/?id=3135
http://mynismo.com/products/?id=3215
http://mynismo.com/products/?id=3886
http://mynismo.com/products/?id=3891
http://mynismo.com/products/?id=3805
Old 06-12-2006, 08:55 AM
SpeedRcr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had hawks and replaced them after putting on a few thousand miles with my project mu's and never looked back. the hawks had a weird feeling until they warmed up and when the rotor was partially submerged it didnt stop for crap
Old 06-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Jellysick

Excellent links - thats a new site to me, so thank you. Prices seem competitive as well. If I can convince myself that the project mu NS series pads will perform well, and not squeel, then I think I can settle on those. Anyone have any other opinions?

SpeedRcr, your comments seem to be holding true throughout the posts I've read regarding Hawks. How many miles have you been able to put on your project mu's?
Old 06-12-2006, 09:48 AM
PalmXP3

I've got Endless Vito Neuvo pads on my non-brembos. They are a little pricey, but worth every penny IMO. Braking is one of the most important, if not THE most important aspect of driving, so the few $$$ shouldn't be too much concern if you're getting a good product. These have a very firm pedal feel and don't get mushy even after hard braking. 300 miles so far and not a squeal, whether it's hot, cold, or rainy. Brake dust is nil compared to stock and brakes just as good. Money well spent!
Old 06-12-2006, 09:56 AM
MustGoFastR

I'm in the same boat (and confused from all the conflicting posts) and looking for pads for my OEM Brembos as well. I'm going to be mating them with Brembo cross-drilled rotors, if that makes any difference. I was leaning toward Nismo pads, but am open to other options.

I want basically the same things: at least as good, if not better braking than stock (even when cold), less dust, good wear rate (yet something that won't eat up my nice, new rotors) and the ability for good performance in agressive street driveing or occasional track or auto-X. Hmm, I probably just described what everybody ideally wants out of a brake pad, didn't I? Does such a thing exist?
Old 06-12-2006, 10:16 AM
Jellysick

Take a look at the links that Brian@performance posted. I also spoke with him regarding the Endless and Project Mu's. I think I am going to go with the Project Mu's just because they are a bit cheaper - he said they have reported very little to no noise with those as well, along with good performance during dry/wet or hot/cold conditions...
If you find something else though, please let me know! Where are you getting your Brembo Cross-drilled rotors?
Old 06-12-2006, 03:05 PM
MustGoFastR

I got the rotors off someone local that went with a stop-tech two-piece instead.

I looked at the links and have been e-mailing one of the guys (eddie) at Performance; still up in the air, though.

So which Project MUs are you getting, the NS or BForce? I'm trying to decide between the two. My driving style is normal to agressive street with the occasional high speed canyon run or curvy mountain drive with lots of switchbacks (in SoCal).
Old 06-12-2006, 03:09 PM
plumpzz

[Giggle]
New pad? Did the tampon that came with you G get used?
Old 06-12-2006, 03:17 PM
Jellysick

I think I will be going with the NS. I dont track (havent YET), and money plays a bit of a role in the decision. I dont want to get B-Force pads if I have yet to track any car I have owned...
Old 06-12-2006, 03:23 PM
MustGoFastR

Hmm, yeah, thinking I may go that way as well. I have yet to make my stock Brembos/pads/rotors fade and the NS are supposed to be better than stock, so they'll probably suffice. I just have a hard time getting parts that aren't "the best" and $50 difference per set doesn't seem much when you can have alot more upward performance potential. I have to realize that "the best" where brake pads are concerned is more about matching them to your driving style, though.

Eddie at Performance told me the NS pads actually have a little better initial bite than the BForce, but that the BForce can outperform the NS otherwise.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:00 PM
MustGoFastR

Just ordered. Ended up getting the BForce pads after a couple more email conversations and thoroughly describing my driving style/intent. For only $40 more than the NS pads, the BFprce are much more capable and the initial bite difference between the two is said to be very small, both being better than stock.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Jellysick

Good reasoning... I assume you are speaking of $40 per set... Unfortunately the $$$ plays a bigger role than the overall performance for me at this point, which is why I will probably be sticking with the NS pads...
By all means though, good luck with your purchase. I'd like to collaborate down the road and compare results. I have nothing against B-force maybe for my next set (assuming my NS work well for me!).
Old 06-12-2006, 05:36 PM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
Just ordered. Ended up getting the BForce pads after a couple more email conversations and thoroughly describing my driving style/intent. For only $40 more than the NS pads, the BFprce are much more capable and the initial bite difference between the two is said to be very small, both being better than stock.
We received your order and will be shipping out tomorrow! And I do agree with you, when it comes to braking, it also a safety issue. The B Force pads have a much higher threshold in higher temperatures so you never have to worry about fade. I have the NISMO's myself which are quite comparable but my other option wouldve been the same pad you went with. We also have 2 piece Stoptech Aerorotors in stock to further enhance your braking!
Old 06-12-2006, 10:17 PM
MustGoFastR

Thanks, Andy! Looking forward to getting them. I was going to go with Nismo, but Eddie gave me the lowdown on the options and recommended the BForce as a comparable, yet cheaper alternative. On rotors, I already have a set I'll be putting on with the pads: Brembo 1 piece cross-drilled. Two-piece would be nice, but too much $$$ for me.

Oh, and Jellysick: yes, the BForce pads are only $40 a set more than the NS. even if you're on a budget, you ought to be able to swing that; I doubt very much that you'd regret it.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:48 AM
Jellysick

Originally Posted by MustGoFastR
Thanks, Andy! Looking forward to getting them. I was going to go with Nismo, but Eddie gave me the lowdown on the options and recommended the BForce as a comparable, yet cheaper alternative. On rotors, I already have a set I'll be putting on with the pads: Brembo 1 piece cross-drilled. Two-piece would be nice, but too much $$$ for me.

Oh, and Jellysick: yes, the BForce pads are only $40 a set more than the NS. even if you're on a budget, you ought to be able to swing that; I doubt very much that you'd regret it.
You think I will benefit from the B-Force even though I dont plan on tracking the car? Will temp issues on the NS cause fade compared to the B-force?
Old 06-13-2006, 06:17 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by Jellysick
You think I will benefit from the B-Force even though I dont plan on tracking the car? Will temp issues on the NS cause fade compared to the B-force?
I think the most notable difference between the pads will be the pedal feel. The BForce will end up giving you a slightly more stiffer pedal feel.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:47 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to clarify guys, NO pad is going to stop well when it's submerged in water!

There are loads of great pads for the car - how well they work for YOU is largely dependant on how they are bedded in, and whether or not you are replacing everything that needs to be replaced, when it needs to be replaced (ie rotors, which are often overlooked, or never checked as to whether they are in spec, etc)