Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 12:32 PM
BlackSpec02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah until I have the money for a BBK I will stick with EBC pads and rotors... only other pads I may give a shot are the Project mu's. I may look into your black slotted ones though because they sound good too. Im not a fan of drilled which is why i bought ebc because they are just dimpled and not actually drilled. The price/quality is hard to beat unless you spend a lot more money... I would say stick with red stuff too because i havent heard much good about the green stuff.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:53 PM
DMK

Originally Posted by Brian@Performance
Every set of pads you get should be bedded in properly. It's not required per se to bed any brake pads, but it's highly recommended. This way, you'll see a slight improvement in pad life and maybe performance. If I may steal a link from Stoptech...

http://stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedincontents.shtml

They have a wonderful section all about bedding in and other neat little tidbits on brakes.

The dust and noise on the Endless and Project U pads are not really anything to worry about. The street pads will definitely be quieter than the more aggressive ones of course, but none of them are loud pads at all. The VN and NS would probably be the best choice for rain/cold as their initial bite is really good. Here's a little chart for the Vita Nuova's.

Unfortunately, I can't express how nice Endless and Project U pads are. The pads I have on my bbk are Endless SSS but once they wear out, I really wanna try their CCA as everyone I sell those to are all raving about them. Here's a chart of the SSS.

Again, just shoot me an email (brianw@perfnissan.com) or give me a call anytime for better pricing on Endless stuff.
Which ones are better for light track/autox and a DD, CCA or SSS? Can you PM me a better price for both for the Brembo model. Thanks

Last edited by DMK; 10-12-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:07 PM
bjr

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSpec02
Yeah until I have the money for a BBK I will stick with EBC pads and rotors... only other pads I may give a shot are the Project mu's. I may look into your black slotted ones though because they sound good too. Im not a fan of drilled which is why i bought ebc because they are just dimpled and not actually drilled. The price/quality is hard to beat unless you spend a lot more money... I would say stick with red stuff too because i havent heard much good about the green stuff.
Thanks for the advice. My rotors just showed up today and they look awesome. They are completely anodized black all over unlike the pic on the web site. So the black will be rubbing off like you said on the higher up sport rotors with the dimples. My redstuff pads should be here Friday. They were shipped from separate locations from thepartsbin.com $235 total pads and rotors for front.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:01 PM
BlackSpec02

Thats similar to what I paid for the sport rotors and red stuff pads for my fronts... what year Z do you have? Also where did you purchase your rotors from... I may try those ones out next time or get them for my rears.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:03 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the middle of a brake system conversion, from non-Brembo with EBC greenstuff and sport rotors to track brembos with EBC red stuff and ultimax rotors.

Why the switch from green to red, no good reason other than trying something new. I used the greenstuff in the mountains and at the autocross without any issues. Basicly, if the stock pads work for you the greens will work well. The difference in feel between stock and greenstuff is the greenstuff have a bit more initial bite but feel a little softer. Dust has been minimal.

As for the rotors, I found the sport rotors a little noisier than I like. As I have described in other post, they make a whooshing sound when the windows are down, up next to the K rail on the freeway. Turns out in the summer I seem to spend a lot of time doing just that. So I am hoping the ultimax rotors are a bit quieter. Also, the cad plating on my sport rotors clashes with my silver wheels and white car. The dimples look hot though, they will be missed

All this stuff is in boxes in the garage waiting for installation, I am also adding stoptech SS lines at the same time so my comparison between green and red will be flawed for more than a few reasons.

Chris
Old 10-19-2006, 02:43 AM
bjr

I have a '05 Base. I hope I got a good price, that was for the ultimax black rotors and the red pads up front. I searched some of their other approved retailers and gave up on a better price. I always thought I would want green stuff also but the box the rotors came in said that the red stuff are for 200hp+ cars - whatever that means - so I guess that I made the right choice. I've never actually heard anything bad about the green stuff but the red stuff should be even better
www.thepartsbin.com
Old 10-19-2006, 10:08 AM
BlackSpec02

Originally Posted by HyperSprite
I am in the middle of a brake system conversion, from non-Brembo with EBC greenstuff and sport rotors to track brembos with EBC red stuff and ultimax rotors.

Why the switch from green to red, no good reason other than trying something new. I used the greenstuff in the mountains and at the autocross without any issues. Basicly, if the stock pads work for you the greens will work well. The difference in feel between stock and greenstuff is the greenstuff have a bit more initial bite but feel a little softer. Dust has been minimal.

As for the rotors, I found the sport rotors a little noisier than I like. As I have described in other post, they make a whooshing sound when the windows are down, up next to the K rail on the freeway. Turns out in the summer I seem to spend a lot of time doing just that. So I am hoping the ultimax rotors are a bit quieter. Also, the cad plating on my sport rotors clashes with my silver wheels and white car. The dimples look hot though, they will be missed

All this stuff is in boxes in the garage waiting for installation, I am also adding stoptech SS lines at the same time so my comparison between green and red will be flawed for more than a few reasons.

Chris
Awesome, let us know how you like the set up. I would recommend also using a DOT 4 fluid with it too like the motul or something... you may not have an accurate comparison between the pad but let us know how you like the rotors and if they make noise. Sounds like youve got a great set up though, im jealous!
Old 10-19-2006, 11:55 AM
Zexy

Project Mu B-Forces will make noise! I came to terms with that. They do squeak quite loudly when they're a bit warmed up..

I usually avoid soft braking on the road. Braking a little hard will eliminate it
Old 10-19-2006, 12:04 PM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by DMK
Which ones are better for light track/autox and a DD, CCA or SSS? Can you PM me a better price for both for the Brembo model. Thanks
Vita Nuova's will be what you are looking for.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:05 PM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by Zexy
Project Mu B-Forces will make noise! I came to terms with that. They do squeak quite loudly when they're a bit warmed up..

I usually avoid soft braking on the road. Braking a little hard will eliminate it
Thats interesting because they should make less noise when theyre warmed up. We have sold countless sets of B Force's without any complaints....
Old 10-22-2006, 08:53 PM
Zexy

Originally Posted by Andy@Performance
Thats interesting because they should make less noise when theyre warmed up. We have sold countless sets of B Force's without any complaints....

When they're cold, mine don't make noise.. When they are warmed up a bit they make crazy noise when braking lightly. When i drive aggresively and they're fully warmed up/hot they don't make noise.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:28 AM
bjr

BlackSpec02 - what did you do for shims when you put on your RedStuff pads? The box says that the backing plate on the pads is sufficient. I saw in the Z manual that there are two pieces behind the factory pad. I don't remember what they were labeled as but one was definately a shim. Did you reuse the Nissan pieces (shims)? I know that using the shims won't hurt anything and there are different opinions as to just putting the pads in with the backing plates and leaving all of the shims out. Most of it has to do with noise. It sounded like you are happy with yours so I wanted to know what you did.
Thanks
Old 10-23-2006, 09:56 PM
BlackSpec02

honestly I have no idea.... i took it to a shop like a woman and had them put em on for me. I do as much work on my car as I can but sometimes I just dont have the time for everything. ( I did just install my varis duct, veilside lip, and new front and rear bumpers a couple weeks ago though... damn that was a long day!)
Old 10-24-2006, 01:33 AM
DMK

Originally Posted by Andy@Performance
Vita Nuova's will be what you are looking for.
hmm...I dont think those would hold up at a track event. CCA and SSS have twice the heat rating.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:54 AM
Q45tech

http://www.linktestlab.com/Brochure%...web_010402.pdf
http://www.brakecouncil.org/52102AFPECG.PDF

"FMVSS 135 is a tougher standard than FMVSS 105 and, like the earlier standard, applies only to new vehicles, which means there are currently NO government safety standards or minimum performance requirements for aftermarket brake linings. The Brake Manufacturers Council would like to keep it that way and prefers a voluntary self-certification program such as their new Brake Effectiveness Evaluation Procedure (BEEP), which identifies approved linings with a BEEP seal."

"Comparing edge codes on brake linings doesn’t tell you much because edge codes only describe the hot and cold friction characteristics of the friction material and have little correlation to how the linings actually perform in any given brake application. There are too many variables involved. Edge codes are established by a simple "Chase" test that rubs a small square sample of friction material against a rotating drum to see how much drag it generates. It baselines the friction material but cannot predict how it will perform in a real brake system."

http://www.linkeng.com/pdf/LINK_China_Presentation.pdf

Consider how bad heavy trucks are at braking and what can happen when a performance car locks it down the following should be scarey. As trucks even at the proscribed safe distance [120 feet at 60 mph] will still rear end you at 24-35 MPH.

http://www.iihs.org/laws/comments/pd...atm_041406.pdf

Last edited by Q45tech; 10-24-2006 at 05:09 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:19 AM
Andy@Performance
Sponsor
Performance Nissan

Originally Posted by DMK
hmm...I dont think those would hold up at a track event. CCA and SSS have twice the heat rating.
Yes it has better heat rating but it will be unforgiving on your rotors. It would not be an ideal pad for the street. The Vita Nuova is a versatile pad for both street and light track, far better than stock. If you are looking for very aggressive pads, you may consider getting 2 sets, 1 for track and 1 for street.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:12 PM
StreetOC192

Originally Posted by Zincognito
EBC red stuff huh? i just bought the green stuff so im wondering what makes the red stuff better than them??
From the description of the EBC Green Stuff pads:
"....For heavier faster cars and vehicles above 200bhp we strongly recommend Redstuff which DOES offer much less dust."
Old 10-27-2006, 12:15 PM
bjr

Originally Posted by StreetOC192
From the description of the EBC Green Stuff pads:
"....For heavier faster cars and vehicles above 200bhp we strongly recommend Redstuff which DOES offer much less dust."
Also, the Red Stuff specifically says that they are CERAMIC
Old 11-24-2006, 12:21 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackSpec02
Awesome, let us know how you like the set up. I would recommend also using a DOT 4 fluid with it too like the motul or something... you may not have an accurate comparison between the pad but let us know how you like the rotors and if they make noise. Sounds like youve got a great set up though, im jealous!
Ok, I'm done, first let me say thanks to my350z.com and stoptech for the information I found here and there. It was invaluable in making this conversion as painless as possible.

From stock brakes with Greenstuff, sport rotors and stock lines and fluid to Redstuff, Ultimax, track Brembo, Stoptech SS lines and ATE super blue.

Finished Monday night and now have 1k miles on them, nearly all highway, some surface but unfortunately, no mountains.

First off, there is no noise, and whooshing near the k rail is gone. The pads are made in the UK but the rotors said they were made in the states. They have casting lines down the center of the non-directional veins and have a black coating that I think looks better than the gold cad.

I was worried about cold bite but the Redstuff but they seem at least as good as stock and with the SS lines it all seems to come on a bit sooner on the pedal travel.

Someone on another thread said their Brembo upgrade gave them a softer, lower pedal but that is not my experience, (I think following the stoptech BBK first bleeding instructions and having the caliper rotated to face up helped quite a bit). Actually, the first hour behind he wheel they seemed a bit high until I got used to them.

The first 200 miles was dust city but that was before I wore off the black coating on the rotor faces. They don't seem to be dusting much now, similar to the greenstuff that seemed dust free.

Greenstuff are Kevlar and Redstuff are ceramic.

Chris
Old 11-24-2006, 01:10 AM
BlackSpec02

To clarify, you went from stock calipers front and back, EBC sport rotors (dimpled and slotted), greenstuff pads, and stock lines and fluid...

To factory brembo calipers front and back, EBC Ultimax rotors (mini slots, whatever those are called), redstuff pads, and Stoptech stainless lines and ATE super blue fluid...

... just wanted to make sure I understood you.

First of all, sounds like you've got a GREAT brake set up! Its good to know those ultimax rotors aren't noisey! I may go with those next.

Couple questions, where did you pickup your brembo calipers? and why did you choose the ATE fluid over motul? Also, do you think you will stick with the redstuff pads or try another one next time?

Congrats, im very jealous of your set up!

Quick Reply: Brake pads