Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tein Vs. HKS and EDFC compatibility.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 10:13 PM
Drift_corners

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein Vs. HKS and EDFC compatibility.

I did my search and it seems that most people feel HKS hypermax RS is the best suspension. If my information is wrong let me know. Someone told me that the Tein Flex is not valved right for our cars is this true. I really hope this is wrong, becouse adjustability without EDFC, does not mean as much to me. Which would you go with, and why. Also Would EDFC work with HKS does it just turn the ****. Thank you.

The idea with my car is to go all handling and track car. I cant afford to do power now, so ill just keep it reliable. Right now i have nismo rear wing, invidia n1, and hotchkis sways. Ultamate goals for the next few years, are Rota 9.5 all 4 corners, 275/295 Gforce ta kd's, Coilovers, and then the Stoptech big brakes kit.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:32 AM
adrianko43

If in-car adjustability is that important to you, HKS is coming out with one pretty soon (dont know exactly when though), and so are a lot of other companies. Honestly though, i dont think you'll need it since once you find the settings you like, you will rarely ever change it again. It's not that hard or inconvenient to adjust the dampening manually, you just pop the hood and trunk, and turn the ****.

Since you say you are all about handling, i suggest getting something more aggressive than the HKS which is more of a compormise between street and track.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:18 AM
Drift_corners

Well it is a street car, my freinds R32 has a real real stiff suspension, and i can honestly out perform him on some roads in Ny, on some highways, 100 feels scary in his car. i want to be able to be on something rough, and have it softer, then see a sick road, and push a button, now i have it rock hard. I dont do that much track its more autocross. Anything over stock thats coilovers will be better. When the weather changes and you feel the car over steering, i can just adjust it while im driving instead of getting out of the car. It's not that its a big inconviennce but its so much nicer to do it on the fly. How about how well tein works with the Z?

Last edited by Drift_corners; 10-27-2006 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Armando

I just got HKS installed last weekend and it handles very good. There are no squeaks or noises. I think for the street its well worth it.

A
Old 10-27-2006, 07:30 PM
GReddySetGO
Banned

If you want it for performance, you want it to be stiffer than HKS. Like everyone said, HKS is a good street coilover.

Tein FLEX is a good track coilover, or even better yet Tein MONO FLEX, which is at this time a special order from Japan part, but will be amazing on the track. And even more track oriented would be Tanabe Pro Sustec Seven. They have a regular and hard driving version which is even more stiff. Tanabe has a TEAS controller which is like the EDFC, but can automatically adjust damping force according to speed aswell.

And no, the Tein EDFC will not work on HKS coilovers.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:19 AM
Drift_corners

Its track / street, i think flex will be fine and i thoink anything with 275/295 g force ta kd's willl handle like an animal.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:18 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the Flex leave alot to be desired on a Z unless you're tracking it - its just not a very street compliant suspension

HKS RS is a far more capable coilover, IMHO, for a street and occassional track day car.

Very meaningful valve adjustments (meaning there is a distinct difference between full soft and full stiff). The Flex range is much more narrow and there is not a huge difference between stiff and soft on the Z.

As for adjustment, dont get all hung up on it...the HKS front is adjustable at the top, the rear at the bottom (I don't even have to take the wheel off, just reach between the spokes). I have adjusted my dampening 1 time since installing them 18 months ago.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:39 AM
GReddySetGO
Banned

On the FLEX it is noticable from full stiff to full soft, it might not be as wide as HKS RS, but it is still very diffrent from full soft <-> stiff.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:33 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

not from the kits I've ever driven on - the difference between full soft and full stiff was the narrowest range I've yet to test on a Z coilover. It's a good kit, don't get me wrong, and they are popular and we do stock them, but it's got the narroest dampening range I've encountered. My 5 way Cusco's flor example were much more of a pronounced difference between full soft to full stiff