Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

HKS Hipermax Coilover Review ... finally :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 02:19 PM
Moroccan_Mole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up HKS Hipermax Coilover Review ... finally :)

sorry for the delay, but the combination of work and bieng lazy/tired when i get home has prevented me from writing this ... i also wanted to get a chance to do a little spirited driving on the suspension .

for general everyday driving, i think this is a great setup. dampening is preset, so you don't have to do alot of tuning to get the ride that you want. the ride is stiff, but not too harsh for everyday driving.

the height is adjustable, it seems you have about 4 inches of height adjustability judging from the amount of room that you can adjust the rings. -im sure it actually says the exact measurements in the instructions, but they're in japaneese, so not much help there . the height does seem to have an effect on the ride (the distance that the shock can travel ), so you will have to play with the height to get the balance between looks and performance that you want. most importantly, it does remove the bounciness from the stock ride.

i was able to go do some spirited ing last night, and found that the car handles much better, probably from the lower center of gravity. i couldnt get the car to understeer, it was going where i wanted it to -which felt great! im sure part of the reason is my tire setup 235f/255r, and partly because i probably wasnt driving hard enough to really get it to a point where i could notice (afterall i was still on city streets). im sure to completely rid the car of understeer, upgraded sway bars are needed.

i feel more confident with the hks versus the stock suspension, which is what matters, i guess ...i can't wait to get it on the track next month to see how it feels out there when i can really drive the car to its limits

and finally a pic of how my car is sitting right now (its about 1 1/2" inches lower in the rear and about 1/2" lower in the front...i think i still want to raise the rear another 1/4" and lower the front about another 1/4"). unfortunantly i forgot to take pics during the install but here are some quick pics i snapped. i will probably take the wheels off and readjust the height (yet again! ) this week ... and take some better pics of the installed components.

https://my350z.com/gallery/albun70

Last edited by Moroccan_Mole; 03-23-2003 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-23-2003, 02:53 PM
r34 racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Is there too much camber in the rear, or is that just the photo?
Old 03-23-2003, 02:55 PM
2k3silver350z

it's not the camera, then again we have a lot of negative camber to start off with.

how much did the kit run you? i'm seriously considering it if i can find it for around 1400$.
Old 03-23-2003, 04:21 PM
Moroccan_Mole

yea, there is alot of negative camber, but that's the price you pay when lowering any car. i will probably pick up some adjustable rear camber plates if it eats tires too fast ...

i got the kit from mike @gruppe-s ... email or pm him for pricing.
Old 03-23-2003, 04:24 PM
2k3silver350z

Originally posted by Moroccan_Mole
yea, there is alot of negative camber, but that's the price you pay when lowering any car. i will probably pick up some adjustable rear camber plates if it eats tires too fast ...

i got the kit from mike @gruppe-s ... email or pm him for pricing.
lucky i already have the jic kit, 3 of the arms are on and i'm still waiting for them to get me the bushings for the arm that they forgot.
Old 03-23-2003, 04:34 PM
Moroccan_Mole

can you post a pic of what they look like?
Old 03-23-2003, 04:50 PM
Boomer

Default Re: HKS Hipermax Coilover Review ... finally :)

sorry for the delay, but the combination of work and bieng lazy/tired when i get home has prevented me from writing this ... i also wanted to get a chance to do a little spirited driving on the suspension .

for general everyday driving, i think this is a great setup. dampening is preset, so you don't have to do alot of tuning to get the ride that you want. the ride is stiff, but not too harsh for everyday driving.

the height is adjustable, it seems you have about 4 inches of height adjustability judging from the amount of room that you can adjust the rings. -im sure it actually says the exact measurements in the instructions, but they're in japaneese, so not much help there . the height does seem to have an effect on the ride (the distance that the shock can travel ), so you will have to play with the height to get the balance between looks and performance that you want. most importantly, it does remove the bounciness from the stock ride.

i was able to go do some spirited ing last night, and found that the car handles much better, probably from the lower center of gravity. i couldnt get the car to understeer, it was going where i wanted it to -which felt great! im sure part of the reason is my tire setup 235f/255r, and partly because i probably wasnt driving hard enough to really get it to a point where i could notice (afterall i was still on city streets). im sure to completely rid the car of understeer, upgraded sway bars are needed.

i feel more confident with the hks versus the stock suspension, which is what matters, i guess ...i can't wait to get it on the track next month to see how it feels out there when i can really drive the car to its limits

and finally a pic of how my car is sitting right now (its about 1 1/2" inches lower in the rear and about 1/2" lower in the front...i think i still want to raise the rear another 1/4" and lower the front about another 1/4"). unfortunantly i forgot to take pics during the install but here are some quick pics i snapped. i will probably take the wheels off and readjust the height (yet again! ) this week ... and take some better pics of the installed components.

https://my350z.com/gallery/albun70

What about its viability as a high speed touring suspension for extended travel. Did you drive it at stock height very much? Do you think it would be a comfortable ride for hours at a stretch at high road speeds, like 80-120mph, when conditions were right? Good report, BTW. I'm getting a good feel for it, despite my questions.
Old 03-23-2003, 05:27 PM
Moroccan_Mole

when i was testing it out last night, i hit speeds of 120+ and it was fine, i don't think driving for an extended period of time would be uncomfterable at all (unless the road was really shitty the entire length of the drive). i think this setup would be perfect for those looking for a comfterable daily driver, but still likes to drive thier car (long weekend drives up in the hills and the occasional track visit).

i really didnt want an adjustable kit (tein/jic), like raceboy, id rather have the preengineered package. the one reason i went with this over the nismo s-tune setup is because of the adjustable height.

now i guess my next step is to find a set of sways that will complement these coilovers.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:32 PM
2k3silver350z

can you post a pic of what they look like?
on the car? no, off the car yes.