Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Is this an alignment problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 08:44 PM
z_roadster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this an alignment problem?

Well, I was driving my Z to school today and all of a sudden I noticed something weird. When my cars moving it feels like it's driving over tiny bumps even though the road is completely flat?? Or a better way to put it is that it doesn't drive smooth anymore, almost as if the tires aren't compelety circular. What could it be? I got eibach springs installed about 2 months ago and I just got this problem now. I haven't got an alignment done though, so I'm guessing that's what's causing it? I have a 2005 350z roadster with a little over 18000km's on it. What do you guys think? Should I get an alignment done and see if I still get the problem? or should I take it to nissan? (just so you know, I've never had any problems with the dealership, they've always fixed whatever needs to be repaired without any questions)
Old 02-28-2007, 09:18 PM
ARMSTRONGARMS

try balancing your tires?
Old 02-28-2007, 09:21 PM
plumpzz

Sometimes when i drive, my steering wheel turns just a little bit because the tires like to follow the crack in the road. Thats caused by a stiffer swaybar (from what I've been told). Is this what you're experiencing.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:32 PM
ANXIOUZ

Nissan won't do anything. This sounds like you need an alignment and/or new tires.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:51 PM
z_roadster

Originally Posted by plumpzz
Sometimes when i drive, my steering wheel turns just a little bit because the tires like to follow the crack in the road. Thats caused by a stiffer swaybar (from what I've been told). Is this what you're experiencing.
not really. It doesn't seem to pull in either direction.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:24 PM
black06z

sounds like tires or shocks.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:59 PM
z_roadster

anyone else experience this themselves?
Old 03-01-2007, 07:06 PM
farobaba

check ur tires for chops... just glide ur hand over it and see if its even or not. Now if its choppy, that is an indication of lack of balancing. If the tire is just out of round, thats a manufacturer's defect. U can feel the out of round, by driving at low speeds. If ur doing about 60mph/100kph and the steering wheel starts shaking (which btw it shouldn't because of the vibration dampners in the column), its a sign of balancing.

Reading ur post, u put Eibachs on, that could be a part of ur problem, since it would put ur camber out of specification. In that case causing uneven tire wear. Excessive wear on the inner edge. If u have access to a tire depth gauge, measure ur tires all around, outside, inside and middle. Thats the best indication of a bad/miss alignment.

Hope this helps!
Old 03-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Dubai

I would also say tires problem. check if there is anything that got inside your tires like bolts or any crap on the road.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:49 PM
edwin350z

get an alignment anyway. dropped my car with hotchskis spring and two months later the rear tires were shot.(from the inside) get it and if it doesnt work then take it to the dealership
Old 03-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Cheezwiz

You forgot the alignment after lowering? You're asking for it, there. And a wheel out of balance would only give vibration around 50-70 mph.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:04 AM
z_roadster

thanks for the info. I think I just need to get my car aligned, if that doesn't help then it must be the tires. Farobaba, when i drive slowly, i feel that the left side tire isn't even. and when I drive fast I don't notice it that much. I'll let you guys know what happens after alignment. How much does alignment usually cost anyways? thanks
Old 03-03-2007, 04:59 AM
MoodDude

Originally Posted by plumpzz
No - this is caused by your Toe being incorrect.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:04 AM
MoodDude

Originally Posted by z_roadster
Well, I was driving my Z to school today and all of a sudden I noticed something weird. When my cars moving it feels like it's driving over tiny bumps even though the road is completely flat?? Or a better way to put it is that it doesn't drive smooth anymore, almost as if the tires aren't compelety circular. What could it be? I got eibach springs installed about 2 months ago and I just got this problem now. I haven't got an alignment done though, so I'm guessing that's what's causing it? I have a 2005 350z roadster with a little over 18000km's on it. What do you guys think? Should I get an alignment done and see if I still get the problem? or should I take it to nissan? (just so you know, I've never had any problems with the dealership, they've always fixed whatever needs to be repaired without any questions)
I would say it was you tires not being balanced.

Alignment issues show there ugly head by:
- The car wanders on straight line
- The car turns by itself when braking
- The car turns by itself when accelerating
- Uneven tire wear
- At initial turn in the car is not turning
- At initial turn in the car turns in to fast

Of coarse some of these problems could be something else too (like brake byass being off) but unless you done some major changes to the car, most of the time these symtoms will be alignment. There are probably more, but I just woke up.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:26 AM
z_roadster

thanks, I think im just gonna take it to nissan and see what they say. If they don't fix it, then I will get it aligned
Old 03-04-2007, 06:15 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Either way, First things first----Have ur tires balanced by someone that is good, Im conserned bout the balance, but more so whether u might have a belt separation problem, if thats the case, u will have, as u say , a tire that is out of round ( and one that could go off like a granade ) ALWAYS start diagnostics from point A

Once that is done and all is well ( or not and fixed ) Get an alignment from, there again, someone that is HOT and knows WTF he's doing.

Good Luck
Old 03-04-2007, 02:57 PM
z_roadster

Yeah, your right. I'll get an alignment done as soon as possible, just been really busy. How long does an alignment usually take?
Old 03-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by z_roadster
Yeah, your right. I'll get an alignment done as soon as possible, just been really busy. How long does an alignment usually take?
Hour at the most as a rule, call for an appt. --But ---do nothing till u have ur tires balanced. First things first. That can be done at the alignment place.