Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

put suspension in myself?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Tubbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default put suspension in myself?

Hi, for those of you who have installed coilovers, camber arms and sways, I'm getting Zeal coilovers, battleversion rear camber arms, cusco a arms and cusco sways. I'm sure the sways are fine enough to install, but do you think I can install the coilovers ans camber arms well enough myself, or should I just get a professional to do it?

I have car experience, but have never installed suspension components myself.Any special tools needed? Thanks.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Fluid1

Suspension is relatively easy. I'd say it's a toughness factor of about a 4(of 10) for all of those. Just make sure you have the right size sockets, and most importantly, that you use the right ft/lbs of torque on each bolt. Air tools FTW
May I ask why you got the pieces you got?
Old 03-21-2007, 09:54 AM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pay someone else for shocks and the like.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by Fluid1
May I ask why you got the pieces you got?
After several recommendations and months of research, these seem like the best for what I want.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:11 AM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed everything you've mentioned (although different brands) with nothing but hand tools, on jackstands, with the help of one other person when it came to the coilovers. Too easy.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:12 AM
rkd350z

I did my coilovers with my friends in 3 hours. air tools are VERY recommended. but We did with out it.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Checkmate58

I see you're going to install rear camber arms. How about mating them with Toe arms? Just curious or will toe stay in specs?

--Sam
Old 04-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by Checkmate58
I see you're going to install rear camber arms. How about mating them with Toe arms? Just curious or will toe stay in specs?

--Sam

I actually had a race shop here do them, as I wanted them to corner balance and align at the same time. I went 1.5 degrees camber all around with a 1 inch drop, and no toe probs. I was worried I'd need them, but after seeing the alignment specs, relieved. I also don't know if I'd stray from my current setup. I love it so much.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:31 PM
zillinois

Its all fairly easy, except the front coilovers. Sometimes I've been able to get the fronts off without spring compressors and sometimes not. Its not hard it just takes a little longer.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:14 PM
rx7/350z

installation of all those parts is the easy part. i installed all those parts in the street in front of my house with basic tools and a torque wrench. the only problem i ran into was removing the rear swaybar. the bolys on my exhaust were rusted on so it took me a while to work the swaybar out and get the new one in. you should also look into getting new front endlinks for the swaybar the stocks end up making noise.

the hard part is tuning your preload , dampening ,corner weighting ,camber and toe.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:26 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tubbs
After several recommendations and months of research, these seem like the best for what I want.
Only thing I'll point out is the Cusco's non adjustable rear bar. Sway bar's are ment to fine tune a already will dialed in setup, to allow you to make changes. Non adjustable bars do not allow for that and when you need to make a change to get at the limit behavior the way you want and need it, you cannot. I pulled and sold my Cusco setup some time ago for that reason.

The Zeals you bought, do they have full height adjustablity?
Old 04-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by rx7/350z
installation of all those parts is the easy part. i installed all those parts in the street in front of my house with basic tools and a torque wrench. the only problem i ran into was removing the rear swaybar. the bolys on my exhaust were rusted on so it took me a while to work the swaybar out and get the new one in. you should also look into getting new front endlinks for the swaybar the stocks end up making noise.

the hard part is tuning your preload , dampening ,corner weighting ,camber and toe.

Unfortunately, my condo peeps won't let me work on my car. I found a great shop though, and they did an amazing job at a great price. I may look into endlinks as you say, in the future.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Tubbs

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Only thing I'll point out is the Cusco's non adjustable rear bar. Sway bar's are ment to fine tune a already will dialed in setup, to allow you to make changes. Non adjustable bars do not allow for that and when you need to make a change to get at the limit behavior the way you want and need it, you cannot. I pulled and sold my Cusco setup some time ago for that reason.

The Zeals you bought, do they have full height adjustablity?

True, but I had it under advisement from a few people that the Cusco's were the way to go for what I wanted... which was a car that felt like a Lotus. And it certainly does.

The Zeals are terrific, and yes have full height adjustability.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:14 PM
black06z

pics of the installed coilovers?