Old 04-10-2007, 08:36 PM
da-masterbater
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks rather ****tay
Old 04-10-2007, 09:04 PM
wildmangk

very useful info, thanks guys. I was thinking of purchasing these and going for a 1.5" drop on them. But now that I have heard that I would have to do some modification to the bump stop.

I don't race or track at all so I would use these springs for looks only. I currently have 18" stern ST-1's so since they are 18's they require dropping my car a little more than 19's or 20's.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:54 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
Looks like these are just coilover sleeves, similar to the ones made by Ground Control right? Never been impressed with those things. Dropping your ride height on these means what...turning the spring perch and compressing the springs both front/rear? I agree w/other guys...these look like crap to me too. I have a feeling that "Tubbs" clicked on the sponsorship link on their website. These aren't even listed on there anyways...
Ground Control sleave coilovers are wildly popular with BMW 3-series owners with Koni shocks, to the point that more owner's run them then I see running dedicated coilovers. Why, because they work well. It's far easier to snub something without knowing the in's and out's then it is to really look into something for real answers. Instead we just want to say they're junk and walk away.

Sleave coilovers get a bad rap when people that don't know what they are doing try and run them in way's they should not be run and or they have design issues that allow poor sleave to shock fitment that causes noise issues. They have their place, providing that they are used in limited way's. And that's the real issue, knowing how and when they are going to be a plus and when they are going to be a minus.

"Dropping your ride height on these means what...turning the spring perch and compressing the springs both front/rear?"

How do Zeal V6 coilovers adjust ride height?

Same way that HKS LS, LS+, RS, II, Tein CS, Basic, Tanabe Pro S-OC, and Unitech racing/Truechoice Koni coilovers do. Yes, full length adjustment is a better option, since you can adjust ride height and corner weight without effecting spring preload. But if said system without that get's you to your desired ride height with the correct amount of shock piston stroke and low to modest preload level's, it is a viable setup to use. That's where we should center our attention at with this product. What's the ride height range/bump travel at min to 1" of spring preload?
Old 04-11-2007, 10:31 AM
z-u-later

^+1 Well said from our resident suspension expert. Most people are not comfortable when they see something outside their norm. This is human nature. There are those of us who do not mind thinking outside the box and trying out new things. I just don't appreciate individuals who call something "junk" even though they don't have a clue what they're talking about.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:46 PM
Triple8Sol
Banned

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Ground Control sleave coilovers are wildly popular with BMW 3-series owners with Koni shocks, to the point that more owner's run them then I see running dedicated coilovers. Why, because they work well. It's far easier to snub something without knowing the in's and out's then it is to really look into something for real answers. Instead we just want to say they're junk and walk away.

Never said they were junk, did I? I said that I wasn't impressed with them, clearly showing it's just my opinion. Since I'm posting again, I can go on to explain that it's based on riding in & tuning the cars of a few friends that have run them in the past.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:25 PM
wildmangk

anybody else with testimonials on these springs?
Old 04-11-2007, 05:46 PM
jcpeyton

Not on these springs, specifically, but I echo Gsedan35's comments, which I thought were well said. I've run Tanabe Sustec Pro SOC Type I coilovers (w/ helper springs) for 10k miles as my DD and occasional track w/ a 1.25" drop. The shocks are not adjustible, and I know spring load changes as I adjust ride height on these but it simply has not been a problem since the Tanabe's have what seem to me to be truly excellent shock valving.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:13 AM
tobysoprano
Banned

Last edited by tobysoprano; 01-17-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: n/a
Old 05-01-2007, 06:40 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tobysoprano
I used to work for Tom Motorsport, maybe I can help.

The rear adjustables are a copy of the units used on Tein Basic Coilovers. The fronts are the same as the ones from Tom's 98-02 Honda Accord Adustable Springs. All of Tom's Honda Adjustable Springs are copies of Ground Control. These copies look and function similarly to their originals but the materials used to produce them are of a much lesser quality. This is one way Tom saves money and is able to sell them on ebay for so cheap.

Another fact to note is that these adjustable springs have not been tested! Tom started selling these the moment he received them from China. The factory messed up on the shipment and Tom received significantly more rear sets than front. The reasoning for z-u-later's blue springs is because we used the overstocked sets of 98-02 Accord springs to compensate.

I'm not trying to knock anyone with good results from Tom Motorsport parts, you just have to accept the adage "you get what you pay for."

Also, z-u-later, I think you may have Tom Motorsport confused with Tom's Racing. Tom Motorsport is known for his cheap generic parts from China while Tom's Racing is known for their high performance and high quality Toyota tuning...from Japan.
I do have a question, that I hope you can answer. Why do some 350Z kit's spec with 500/500 spring rates and the latest kit's that have popped up on ebay have 450/350 spring rates? Does this have to do with the supply mix up you mention above?
Old 05-02-2007, 07:41 AM
tobysoprano
Banned

Last edited by tobysoprano; 01-17-2012 at 12:11 PM. Reason: n/a
Old 05-03-2007, 11:28 PM
wildmangk

wow, good info, thanks alot. Hmmm Accord springs on a Z huh? that explains the price.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:48 PM
blitz2k1

no point in spending $30k plus on your 350z and installing $150 springs on it. To me this seems like a downgrade = OEM-