Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

NISMO S-tune VS R-tune Suspension Q???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 10:21 AM
Goofy1477

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NISMO S-tune VS R-tune Suspension Q???

I am very interested in getting a suspension for my Z soon. I have a question about the R tune and S tune suspension by nismo. I know the R tune is a Race tune suspension and the S tune is a Street/Sport tune suspension. But do you add the R tune to the S tune suspension to get the Race suspension or is it a totally different setup? Do you buy the R tune or the S tune? I have searched on it and have not found anything on either except reviews on the S tune.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:59 AM
WashUJon

I don't think anyone knows much about any of the R-tune specifics just yet...

Old 05-27-2003, 10:59 AM
FlyingToaster

R-tune is not an upgrade from S-tune, it uses completely different spring rates, bound/rebound settings, and antirollbar. S-tune is non-adjustable in any of these settings, but R-tune, to what I have heard, is user-adjustable.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:35 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by FlyingToaster
R-tune is not an upgrade from S-tune, it uses completely different spring rates, bound/rebound settings, and antirollbar. S-tune is non-adjustable in any of these settings, but R-tune, to what I have heard, is user-adjustable.

What your saying doesn't seam to jive with nissan's marketing efforts, thier not painting the picture as you say it really is. If nissan is true to its marketing, the R-tune should be adjustable to the point of allowing the end user to adjust to a more aggressive setting over S-tune products. What is your information source for what you say?
Old 07-03-2003, 07:52 AM
jran76

From what I have heard and based off other R-tune suspension components, the R-tune is a fully adjustable coilover design, both height and firmness are adjustable. Below is a pic of the R-tune from the GTR-R34.... It seems to be a true track setup, and light years ahead of the s-tune.
Attached Thumbnails NISMO S-tune VS R-tune Suspension Q???-164-2.jpg  
Old 07-03-2003, 11:40 AM
J Ritt

Those are pretty...but if NISMO USA wants $1800 for the S Tune...I don't even want to think about what they'll want for those...any guesses? My guess is $2500-$2700...which is nutty.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:48 AM
FlyingToaster

Originally posted by Gcoupe35
What your saying doesn't seam to jive with nissan's marketing efforts, thier not painting the picture as you say it really is. If nissan is true to its marketing, the R-tune should be adjustable to the point of allowing the end user to adjust to a more aggressive setting over S-tune products. What is your information source for what you say?
I looked it up on the Japanese catalog that the dealer had which was, I think, published late 2002. I looked it up for the R34 GTR, and even though I cannot read Japanese, I could see from photos - similar to jran posted - the adjustments for ride height, bump/rebound, and camber. Also, in the text, I had compared the spring rate ranges they had (metric btw) and the R-tune's range was much higher. I do not recall the figures at this time as it was about 2 months ago.

It is somewhat disappointing that Nismo decided to bring only few select S- and R- tune components to the US, but I hope the number of items will increase in the coming years. I think Nismo is just testing the waters at this time.