Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Dropping with GF210

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:22 PM
_Fayte_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dropping with GF210

This goes out to people who have experience with the GF210. I'm looking to drop with the GF210 and have a few unanswered questions from using search, and I thought I'd sum up the questions into a thread for more convenience:

1.) Anyone with GF210 want to tell me if it is absolutely necessary to get shocks as I've heard that with any drop lower than 1.0"~, it will wear out the shocks much faster?

2.) Is a camber kit necessary for DD so that the tires can have a longer lifetime? To people with no camber kit, what are the approx. lifetime of the tires?

3.) The drop is not adjustable right? Just a solid 1.0"F/1.2"R

Thx.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:11 PM
Marino Z
Know it all

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1) yes
2) yes recommand.
3) no not adjustable.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:50 PM
_Fayte_

What shocks do you recommend that aren't as cheap as the Tokico d-spec shocks?

Or I was thinking of just getting a coilover kit...

I don't plan on autox or tracking soon, just DD in LA. I'm on 18" stocks right now, plan on getting 19" later on though.

Thx

edit:
I found myself a used Tein Basics for ~$450, was wondering what the lifetime of used coilovers are? Would I also need a camber kit if basics were installed?

Last edited by _Fayte_; 11-21-2007 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes you'll need a camber kit

no one can tell you the life expectancy - they could last forever or self implode tomorrow, all depends how they were treated.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:58 PM
_Fayte_

Need some input... Leaning towards the GF210 + aftermarket shocks now. I've heard good news on the GF210 + Tokico D-specs combo but the Tokico is way out of my budget. Because like others have said, if this setup is going to run about the same as Tein basics, I'd rather get the basics.... I could care less about ride quality, I just want shocks that will hold against the GF210. So can anyone recommend me some aftermarket shocks besides them Tokicos?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:33 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by _Fayte_
Need some input... Leaning towards the GF210 + aftermarket shocks now. I've heard good news on the GF210 + Tokico D-specs combo but the Tokico is way out of my budget. Because like others have said, if this setup is going to run about the same as Tein basics, I'd rather get the basics.... I could care less about ride quality, I just want shocks that will hold against the GF210. So can anyone recommend me some aftermarket shocks besides them Tokicos?

I have GF210 on my Z with Stock Shocks
And i have SPC rear Camber/toe.

Seem like you just want to drop, but from your search idea people says GF springs Mess up Stock shock, so you trying to get shocks together. But not enough money to get good shocks.

If you want to get shock/springs together. i rather say get coilover.

If You don't like Coilovers.. Then

Just Get Springs and Camber First, Put them on.
and just Drive for while. your shock won't get break right away.
And save money, and see. if you think you need new shock, then get it
if not, then buy other toys with that Money.

Don't worry too much, Take it easy.
either you get shocks now or later, you are not gonna use stock shocks.
i rather use stock shocks all the way and Put them RIP

I didn't get aftermarket shocks

b/c
I Like to feel Springs, and Then Shocks, and then ~Rims,...
maybe im weird but i like to feel one by one,

For Me That's how i get to kno my car more then more..So

It's your Z. Your Choice.

BTW i got Tanabe GF + SPC camber/toe from Z1auto.com
check them out. Fast shipping.

Last edited by Chef-J; 11-21-2007 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:00 AM
_Fayte_

Unless you're doing the installation yourself, it's not worth it to have to bring it to a shop and having them intall it, not to mention the labor cost
Old 11-22-2007, 09:06 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

If Tokico are out of your budget, you're not going to be able to get aftermarket shocks - those are the least expensive ones on the market as it is

The GF210 will work just fine on stock shocks - get these and the rear camber kit, install them, then get the car aligned, and you'll be happy with the drop and performance

IMHO, you SHOULD care about ride quality - there is no reason to drop a car on the ground, and then have it handle worse than stock, or ride horribly. A stock Z rides fairly nicely - with the right mods, chosen carefully, you can get good ride quality, and good looks and performance. The GF210 have a firm ride, but its not obnoxious. If you want a spring that drops it right around the same level as a GF210, but has more refined feel, the NF210 are a good choice (1.2 inches front/rear, but rates are a bit softer than the GF210). Spring rates on the NF are about 30 lbs less than the GF, so makes them a good choice for the 03-04 owners.

This is the NF210 installed:

And we've got both NF and GF ready to go!

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 11-22-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:00 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Unless you're doing the installation yourself, it's not worth it to have to bring it to a shop and having them intall it, not to mention the labor cost

Well if you know how to do, and if you have tools no problem.

but if you are first time, and install camber kit/ TOE, then shop will be worth it.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:10 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xhooniex83
Well if you know how to do, and if you have tools no problem.

but if you are first time, and install camber kit/ TOE, then shop will be worth it.
Eh, you've gotta bite the bullet at some time and do a mod the first time yourself
Old 11-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
Eh, you've gotta bite the bullet at some time and do a mod the first time yourself

That's true, Your Z your choice
Old 11-24-2007, 07:46 PM
Watkins

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
If Tokico are out of your budget, you're not going to be able to get aftermarket shocks - those are the least expensive ones on the market as it is
I've been using Tokico HPs on my car with Tein S-techs and SPL camber arms. I have no complaints with these shocks and at about $75 a shock, they aren't really all that expensive.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PSDC02B/23-3975

Originally Posted by The Z Store

Description:
Tokico designed the 350Z version of their ultra-popular HP line to be the perfect Street Performance Struts, ESPECIALLY for lowered 350Z's.. Tokico increased the rebound damping by 25% to firmly control lateral body movement. However, since the 350Z struts are already quite firm from the factory, they only slightly increased the compression damping, in order to keep the firm performance ride quality & feel, without the bone-jarring effects of over-stiff compression damping. We think you'll love the results! HP struts are sold individually.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:22 PM
cheshirecat79

Originally Posted by Watkins
I've been using Tokico HPs on my car with Tein S-techs and SPL camber arms. I have no complaints with these shocks and at about $75 a shock, they aren't really all that expensive.

Do you have any idea as to the life of these compared to the stock shocks?

This is a really great price for aftermarkets if they will live better than the stocks with a drop. I just dropped mine this weekend and need a set.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:50 PM
Watkins

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
Do you have any idea as to the life of these compared to the stock shocks?
I honestly have no clue.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:06 PM
black06z

Wow!!! Those Tokico Blues are cheaper for the Z than they were with my Hondas. That's crazy. If my Tokico D-specs blow, then I'd probably go with the Blues.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:07 PM
black06z

Originally Posted by Watkins

Any pics installed? What year is your Z?
Old 11-25-2007, 08:29 PM
Watkins

Originally Posted by black06z
Any pics installed? What year is your Z?

2003. Installed? Like the shock installed on the car or the car? If so, I don't, all I have is this.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:06 PM
cheshirecat79

I've actually got GF210s along with the springmount mod in the rear running 30 profile tires. I'm going to go ahead and order these and see how they work out along with a set of spc camber arms.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:20 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Tokico Stuts (Blues and D Spec)

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ng&prodid=1114

The blues are essentially an OE type strut with a bit more rebound valving - not dampening adjustable, but a good economical replacement for stock. Similar overall feel to the revised struts on the later Z's, though these have a shorter overall stroke as I recall, making them a good choice to pair with various springs.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:31 AM
Nukiz0r
350Z-holic

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance

The GF210 will work just fine on stock shocks - get these and the rear camber kit, install them, then get the car aligned, and you'll be happy with the drop and performance

IMHO, you SHOULD care about ride quality - there is no reason to drop a car on the ground, and then have it handle worse than stock, or ride horribly. A stock Z rides fairly nicely - with the right mods, chosen carefully, you can get good ride quality, and good looks and performance. The GF210 have a firm ride, but its not obnoxious. If you want a spring that drops it right around the same level as a GF210, but has more refined feel, the NF210 are a good choice (1.2 inches front/rear, but rates are a bit softer than the GF210). Spring rates on the NF are about 30 lbs less than the GF, so makes them a good choice for the 03-04 owners.

This is the NF210 installed:

And we've got both NF and GF ready to go!

Adam, you've given me great advice before, so I need some clarification here. With the GF210's, you only recommend the rear camber kits, and perhaps some some Tokico blues all the way around?

I dropped mine with the 210's and the ride is tight, but not what I had figured it would be with new springs and new rims/tires. The guy who did the alignment said he had trouble and couldnt completely get it to spec without a kit. He gave me a printout of my stats, unfortunately its at home. (Im overseas.)

Quick Reply: Dropping with GF210