Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Alignment after new rear tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 11:36 AM
Accordaleer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment after new rear tires?

As stated, just wondering since I slapped on new rear tires last month, do I need an alignment? Just went by the dealership to see how much a diff oil change would be. First guy didnt know what that was. Second guy asked another guy, and said uhh its about half hour of labor so 60 dollars. I walked out, but on the way out saw they only had a price for front wheel alignment. Do I need to have the rear aligned? I dont care about the front, soon as hours pick up at work I'll replace with the rears, I just wanna make sure my falkens wear evenly. Thanks. And I decided ill do the diff myself, I squeezed under when I got home, its just freezing out. I'm totally stock rims, springs, everything. May get spacers eventually though.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:09 PM
VIZAGE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being stock everything, I'd say your ok. Maybe. How well was the wear on the tires you replaced? Did you go back with same size? How may miles are on you car now? It might not hurt to have the alignment check/adjusted (same price). There is little adjustablity on these cars, but enough to correct for a stock setup.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Accordaleer

The old rears were bad. The inside of the left rear wore bald basicly. The tech blamed it on spinning them too much. Most likely it was from spinning them, I had 2 seperate occasions that I did some donuts. When it was checked they said it was just outside the parameters, not enough to cause any wear though. I've had them on for almost 1000 maybe, they look fine. I baby these now, tcs hasnt come off once lol. Theyre not bad in this temp for being a summer tire. Even took it out in the snow.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:33 PM
VIZAGE

Originally Posted by Accordaleer
When it was checked they said it was just outside the parameters, not enough to cause any wear though.
What was out? Camber, toe? If they checked it, they should of at least made some attempt to correct to spec or setting of your choice. I meant, how many total miles are on the car?

Last edited by VIZAGE; 01-19-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:33 PM
trodis
350Z-holic

u have an 07 and ur tires are already shot? How many miles? Do you smoke ur tires for the hell of it? Basicly why are they shot?
Old 01-19-2008, 01:55 PM
Accordaleer

I killed my tires basicly. One or 2 nights I did a few donuts and it killed the inside of my left tire. It got worse as they wore. At 13k miles I hammered them. Took out brake fuse and murdered them because I was going to buy new ones in the morning. I'll have to get the spec sheet out from the car. When it was on the rack they said it was fine. brb.
Old 01-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Accordaleer

Sorry only have a 1.3 mp cell lol.
Attached Thumbnails Alignment after new rear tires?-left-rear.jpg   Alignment after new rear tires?-right-rear.jpg  
Old 01-19-2008, 04:25 PM
Cheezwiz

Those toe readings would indicate a pull to the left when the steering wheel was centered, assuming the front toe angles were perfect. If you want us to give you a good explanation, we need to see the entire printout. But from what I see, that negative camber is somewhat mild, and should not result in excessive inside edge wear.

On your old tires, what was your tread depth on the inside, center, and outside of the tires? If they were 0/32" 2/32" 3/32", then I would not be concerned about alignment. That's normal for the cars we drive. tirerack.com, NAPA, and Carquest have alignment kits that allow something as mild as -0.5 Camber for our cars if that is so concerning.

Last edited by Cheezwiz; 01-19-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Accordaleer

To be honest I dont know about the tread depths, but I know the inside tire was bald and it got a little better as you went across the tire to the outside. I plan on getting one soon, I know theyre inexpensive, moneys tight right now, and I'd rather wait until I buy new fronts. Thanks guys. Oh also, the front's were well in alignment. I'm clueless with alignments but all the numbers fell well within the range. I'll just keep on being easy on the tires.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:47 PM
VIZAGE

Both toe's are off. Especially on the left. More than 1/8 of an inch can really start to wear .
Old 01-19-2008, 04:52 PM
fithamoto
Sleeps in 350Z

I was under the impression that any & every-time you put new or different tires on you should get an Alignment.

especially in the front but the backs you might be able to slide. But for the price of tires for the Z....I would get one.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Accordaleer

Originally Posted by VIZAGE
What was out? Camber, toe? If they checked it, they should of at least made some attempt to correct to spec or setting of your choice. I meant, how many total miles are on the car?
I brought this to their attention at 8k miles. I had visited the dealership literally 9 times. Oh and only the left tire wore like that. I did a lot of highway driving, about 2k miles a month. This pic only got worse.
Attached Thumbnails Alignment after new rear tires?-bald-tire.jpg  
Old 01-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Cheezwiz

I think the tire wore pretty well for the car. The reason only one tire wore like that is beyond me (EDIT: DOUGHNUTS! LOL). Bridgestones are not supposed to last very long in the first place.

Last edited by Cheezwiz; 01-19-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:12 PM
VIZAGE

That's one problem there. Going to the dealership. The left wore due to the toe being off, according to the sheet you showed us. But you did admit to roughing it. But you also said it was only the left one that wore that badly.

I was at a Nissan dealship and over heard a guy ask about a alignment spec. He told him just to get it in the green. That's just putting it in the ballpark. It's not right. You have spec and they should be dialed in perfect. Everyone trying to make the quick buck. Total BS.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Cheezwiz

All a dealership has to promise is to be in the green, it's all you should need to be getting decent wear from your tires. Besides, why so quick to blame the dealership? He's showing us a BEFORE print.
Beating on it will throw out the toe, easy. Especially doughnuts, do you do your doughnuts to the left, or right, exclusively?

Last edited by Cheezwiz; 01-19-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:50 PM
VIZAGE

He is showing a before print beause there was no after print. So that being said, they claimed .14 toe is ok. That is way off. It's not even just outside the perimeters. I will always see fault in dealships (stealerships). That's me. Same reason they want to charge people $2600 for clutch.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:40 PM
Accordaleer

Well if I go to the dealer, can I just get a rear alignment even though theres not much to play around with? Thats all I care about until I get new front tires. Hours should possibly be returning to semi normal, the time I had spare money lol. Just cant afford it atm as sad as it sounds. Wish I was VERY knowledgeable in certain aspects of cars.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:40 AM
VIZAGE

I would at least try going to another place that will set it to the exact specs and not just put it on the ballpark. Most all other shops charge the same for an alignment. And being that it's all the same price, have them check the front toe also.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Accordaleer

Thanks for the advice guys.