Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Red stuff / yellow stuff? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 03:54 AM
cliffrlp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red stuff / yellow stuff? Help!

Hi,

I've searched and searched (what else are you gonna do when you get to work at 6am... ) and I've finally decided on going with EBC pads. What I haven't found while searching though is which are better the red or yellow stuff? I found one thread that some guy put "yellow are worthless"...but I was hoping for any input anyone else had? Brake dust is important, I wash my car every 2-3 weeks and it seems like I clean my wheels every other day...I am getting new wheels and would like to not be super paranoid i'm going to ruin them if I don't clean them every other day.
So the yellow stuff is their track set up and the red stuff is their daily driver set up...has anyone taken the red stuff to the track? how has it preformed? I go to the track once in a while, but I just wanna make sure when I do go...I stop when I need to lol
Also, any help on new rotors would be great...slottled ? Or slottled and dimpled? I have an '05 non brembo (i'll be lookin' to do bbk eventually, but have other things in mind first, and would like to just get this brake dust issue out of the way for now)

Thanks guys
-Leor
Old 02-03-2008, 05:54 AM
laze1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the Red on the street now, and used the Yellow on the track for a little while. However, I now use Carbotech xp10 for track only with R-Compounds.

The Reds are kinda "touchy", when you 1st hit the brake, they really bite...but you get used to it quickly.

The Yellow worked well on the street and track,,,,if you are looking for a dual-purpose pad,,,go with the yellows. I was pretty happy with them for the price.

Both of these pads are a good value...but go with the Yellows...

I use Power Slots in the from and Centric standards rotors in the rear for the track.

Originally Posted by cliffrlp
Hi,

I've searched and searched (what else are you gonna do when you get to work at 6am... ) and I've finally decided on going with EBC pads. What I haven't found while searching though is which are better the red or yellow stuff? I found one thread that some guy put "yellow are worthless"...but I was hoping for any input anyone else had? Brake dust is important, I wash my car every 2-3 weeks and it seems like I clean my wheels every other day...I am getting new wheels and would like to not be super paranoid i'm going to ruin them if I don't clean them every other day.
So the yellow stuff is their track set up and the red stuff is their daily driver set up...has anyone taken the red stuff to the track? how has it preformed? I go to the track once in a while, but I just wanna make sure when I do go...I stop when I need to lol
Also, any help on new rotors would be great...slottled ? Or slottled and dimpled? I have an '05 non brembo (i'll be lookin' to do bbk eventually, but have other things in mind first, and would like to just get this brake dust issue out of the way for now)

Thanks guys
-Leor
Old 02-03-2008, 07:20 AM
UofA350Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never used the Yellow, but I'm installing Red this afternoon. I'll let you know my thoughts after I get them on.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:32 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

I ran reds my second weekend out at the track, and got two days on them. Then i got yellows and a bit faster, well major fade issues with the crappy 03 calipers and rotors. Now i run yellows with 06 brakes and have no problems, i feel they are fine till i get R compounds.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:24 PM
cliffrlp

So how is the yellow stuff on brake dust?? Is it not too bad or do you guys need to clean your wheels every few days?

-Leor
Old 02-03-2008, 07:49 PM
WyattH

If you read any site on the EBC pads, you would know the difference.

Yellow is their track, as you said. Better performance, but it will dust about as much as OEM.
Red is for the street. Perform as well as stock, but they're quiet with less dust.

I would not run street pads on the track. And I would not run track pads on the street. Both will **** you off when they aren't on their intended turf. Pads are cheap and easy to swap - - buy some for each situation and swap them out.

I don't track, but I drive aggressively on the street sometimes. For that reason, I am going with street pads.
I have Reds for my C43 which will be installed in 2-3 weeks. I'll give impressions. Also consider Axxis Deluxe.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:28 PM
ke0ki2k

where can I get yellow stuff pads for 06' calipers?
Old 02-03-2008, 11:25 PM
WyattH

Not sure if they have what you are looking for, but they should. I just ordered my red stuff for the C43 @:

www.placeforbrakes.com
Old 02-03-2008, 11:35 PM
boogy886

I have EBC slotted and dimpled rotors, and yellow stuff and I love them. I have yet to track my car, however I drive like an arsehole and everyday is like a trackday. I've had the setup since probably Oct. and haven't had to replace pads yet. I do heel toe and use the engine compression more than the brakes, but the setup is sweet and has a noticeable difference over stock. Plus, as an added bonus, the slotted and dimpled rotors make an awesome whirring noise that sounds really cool, although I cant hear it so much anymore since I put on the straight pipes...
Old 02-03-2008, 11:45 PM
WyattH

^ How many miles on them? Did you seat them properly? How's the dust level?

I want someone to compare Axxis Deluxe+ with EBC Red... I want something quiet with low dust, but at LEAST as grippy as stock.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:00 AM
boogy886

I'd say at least 3 oil changes so at least 7500mi. Dust level isn't too bad, the Z gets a bath once a week and I don't have to scrub or anything. Hard to give a real answer as I have gunmetal CR Kai's, for that reason haha I HATE brake dust it ruins the looks. But those are the yellow's not the red's...
Old 02-04-2008, 09:58 AM
cliffrlp

I did read the website...and my question wasn't the difference of yellow and red but how bad the brake dust was on the yellow since all it says was "medium" and for red it says "none".
Thanks though...

Originally Posted by WyattH
If you read any site on the EBC pads, you would know the difference.

Yellow is their track, as you said. Better performance, but it will dust about as much as OEM.
Red is for the street. Perform as well as stock, but they're quiet with less dust.

I would not run street pads on the track. And I would not run track pads on the street. Both will **** you off when they aren't on their intended turf. Pads are cheap and easy to swap - - buy some for each situation and swap them out.

I don't track, but I drive aggressively on the street sometimes. For that reason, I am going with street pads.
I have Reds for my C43 which will be installed in 2-3 weeks. I'll give impressions. Also consider Axxis Deluxe.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:43 AM
WyattH

Originally Posted by cliffrlp
I did read the website...and my question wasn't the difference of yellow and red but how bad the brake dust was on the yellow since all it says was "medium" and for red it says "none".
Thanks though...
No worries, I didn't mean it in the wrong way. I search and ask the same Q's over again and people just throw me the search button again. I tried answering your Q as best I could, though. But if you read the first 2 1/2 lines of your post, you'll see why I misunderstood the dust emphasis. Good luck with the hunt and let us know what you decide and your impressions.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:22 AM
boogy886

Originally Posted by WyattH
No worries, I didn't mean it in the wrong way. I search and ask the same Q's over again and people just throw me the search button again. I tried answering your Q as best I could, though. But if you read the first 2 1/2 lines of your post, you'll see why I misunderstood the dust emphasis. Good luck with the hunt and let us know what you decide and your impressions.
My buddy uses Axxis Ultimates? on his M3 and he refuses to even try my EBC pads he's really happy with they way they perform, even on his stock rotors...I think both of those are good choices, each with a great reputation.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:02 PM
WyattH

I think the Ultimates are more compared to Yellows, and Delxue+ is compared to Reds.

For me it's down to the latter two, the street pads.

I have found EBC Red for $140, and Axxis Deluxe+ for $96 (F&R).
Honestly.. I am not a firm believer in swapping rotors until they need to be replaced. Until then, I think it's a waste of money. But some good fluid, good pads, and SS lines will be a great upgrade for the street.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:33 PM
GWord256

Just got back from Motor Sport Ranch (Cresson, TX) this past weekend. Got "YellowStuff" pads because I went through a set of OEM pads in two days at Texas World Speedway.

The Yellows lasted me 3 sessions or 1.5 hours of track use. I plan on writing EBC a letter of dissapointment. I runied a whole set Front and Back. Paint melted off, and rubber shims started to bubble.

The next day all I had was OEM pads (had to drive 60 miles to pick up the only ones in stock). Went one session (30 minutes) and ruined a rear set (less than 1 mm remaining). Put on another set of rears (I was able to find 2 sets woo!hoo!) and stoped denying to myself that I own a fat car so I started to brake early and light. Moral of the story EBC pads lasted 3 times longer than OEM.

My suggestion, get street pads for street, track pads for track. Skip the in between pads unless your driving in the novice group.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:41 PM
WyattH

Originally Posted by GWord256
My suggestion, get street pads for street, track pads for track. Skip the in between pads unless your driving in the novice group.

I would only recommend the "in-betweens" for those who drive ONLY on the street, but drive aggressively. I live downtown and cannot drive too aggressively, so dustless and quiet is more important to me. But if I lived back in the suburbs where I had some open highway and empty roads, I might get an "in-between" pad as a compromise.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:06 AM
1cockyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got back from Motor Sport Ranch (Cresson, TX) this past weekend. Got "YellowStuff" pads because I went through a set of OEM pads in two days at Texas World Speedway.

The Yellows lasted me 3 sessions or 1.5 hours of track use. I plan on writing EBC a letter of dissapointment. I runied a whole set Front and Back. Paint melted off, and rubber shims started to bubble.

The next day all I had was OEM pads (had to drive 60 miles to pick up the only ones in stock). Went one session (30 minutes) and ruined a rear set (less than 1 mm remaining). Put on another set of rears (I was able to find 2 sets woo!hoo!) and stoped denying to myself that I own a fat car so I started to brake early and light. Moral of the story EBC pads lasted 3 times longer than OEM.

I use ebc yellow they are fine on the street dusting less than the stock pads. I have 3 track days on them and they still have 75% of there material. This person quoting above is way to hard on the brakes. They come with integral shims and a easy bed-in material. I bought mine for $93 shipped and I have brembos. Also these pads work cold, as in I can pull my car out on a 20 degree day and when I get to the stop sign at the end of the street the car stops. Whoever said above that these are fine until r comps I would have to agree with. Also they are very kind to the rotors. Axxis ultimate or ULT's are rotor kryptonite and loud as hell when cold. You can't go wrong with yellows but for daily driving on public roads I doubt you will ever overdrive the reds and they will dust less and feel more like stock pads with their initial bite. If you haven't flushed your brake fluid its a good idea but thats another thread entirely.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:50 AM
QM888

Can I mix them up?....like yellow in front and red one in rear? please advise.
I dont track....just aggressive on street for daily driving..
Old 02-05-2008, 01:42 PM
WyattH

Originally Posted by QM888
Can I mix them up?....like yellow in front and red one in rear? please advise.
I dont track....just aggressive on street for daily driving..
You COULD. But why? I sure wouldn't.. It'd be inconsistent. Stock calipers/rotors already have the right biases. I would try to maintain variables beyond that.

Cocky Z - Where did you get yellows shipped for $95??? That is a great deal. That's the price of Axxis Deluxe+ I was considering. I've only seen EBC for $140-170 shipped (red-yellow).

Quick Reply: Red stuff / yellow stuff? Help!