Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

do i need a shim kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 02:54 PM
ih8thegaytriots

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do i need a shim kit?

my g35 rear brembo break pads are rubbing and squeakin a bit and i need to replace em asap. i called the dealerships around here and the prices for the brembo pads are only $15-$20 more than buying it on everythingg35.com

the funny thing is that when i call the dealership, they are saying i need the shim kit for an extra $80. WTF.

can you guys give me some advice on what i do need for replacing it with the factory brembo pads? too many bad reviews with hawks pads and nismo cost much more. havent really found a big difference other than $40 as to why i should go with axxis pads, so im wondering if the brembos need new shims. everythingg35.com states that it comes with the shims. also, did you resurface your rotors when you replaced your rear brake pads?

opinions appreciated!
Old 02-04-2008, 03:29 PM
DMK

I believe Brembo pads should come with shims. Shims are a thin aluminum piece that is placed behind the pad and in front of the pistons. If they didn't come with shims, just tell them to reuse your old ones. That's what I did when I got Project Mu pads which didn't come with shims. If they tell you some BS on how they can't re-use them, go somewhere else. $80 shims are way over-priced by the way.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:32 PM
ih8thegaytriots

Originally Posted by DMK
I believe Brembo pads should come with shims. Shims are a thin aluminum piece that is placed behind the pad and in front of the pistons. If they didn't come with shims, just tell them to reuse your old ones. That's what I did when I got Project Mu pads which didn't come with shims. If they tell you some BS on how they can't re-use them, go somewhere else. $80 shims are way over-priced by the way.

yeah they said that the brake pads were redesigned and may require new shims to fit with the new brake pads. they said using the old ones might not work. lol what the... i have an 03. the rears need to be replaced.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:46 PM
DMK

Just pick up some aftermarket brake pads from one of the vendors here. Project Mu NS work very well and are pretty cheap. You don't even have to run shims with those and you could reuse your old ones if you want to.