Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tanabe GF's Temporarily on Nismo S-tune?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 02:51 PM
DaProdigy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tanabe GF's Temporarily on Nismo S-tune?

I searched for atleast someone asking this question or doing this but couldnt find an answer... i want to know is it possible to run tanabe springs on the nismo s-tune shocks until i get my D-specs which will be this summer... a simple yes or no would be appreciated... no need for flaming...

Nismo S-tune

Last edited by DaProdigy; 03-31-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:14 PM
DaProdigy

nobody knows?
Old 03-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DaProdigy
I searched for atleast someone asking this question or doing this but couldnt find an answer... i want to know is it possible to run tanabe springs on the nismo s-tune shocks until i get my D-specs which will be this summer... a simple yes or no would be appreciated... no need for flaming...

Nismo S-tune

Possible, yes.

Would it be a good idea, no.

Why? Too much shock for too little spring.

If your ditching the S-tune suspension for a D-spec/GF210 combo your settting yourself up for a serious downgrade and that's taking into account that you would be running D-specs vs other possible choices.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:35 PM
DaProdigy

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Possible, yes.

If your ditching the S-tune suspension for a D-spec/GF210 combo your settting yourself up for a serious downgrade and that's taking into account that you would be running D-specs vs other possible choices.
yea i know but i feel like i need to be lowered more lol performancewise i like it alot... handles great but its not aggressive enough... but thanks i had a feeling it wasnt a good idea... maybe i'll just leave it alone until i get some hks's or something thanks though
Old 03-31-2008, 03:36 PM
DaProdigy

Possible, yes.

yea i know but i feel like i need to be lowered more lol performancewise i like it alot... handles great but its not aggressive enough... but thanks i had a feeling it wasnt a good idea... maybe i'll just leave it alone until i get some hks's or something thanks though
Old 03-31-2008, 03:36 PM
DaProdigy

Possible, yes.

Old 03-31-2008, 03:37 PM
DaProdigy

woah... major internet explorer F'up right there... wtf mods can trash this thread....
Old 03-31-2008, 08:17 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by DaProdigy

Even though the S-tune setup is extreamly well liked by owners, you would not be the first person that want's something that is more aggresive. But your talking about going with a setup that is less aggressive, the opposite of what your after. Drop is more aggresive, but performace won't be. If your really out to kick it up a notch, you'll need to make a different choice, one that is coilover based.

Nismo S-tune (twin tube construction, uses progressive springs)
350Z .8"/.8" drop
Spring rates 448/504

Tanabe GF210 Series 350Z progressive springs 1”/1.2”
Spring rates in LBS 336/375 (only peak rates are published, softer initial progressive rates unknown)
Old 03-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look for the user FastZ33 as I believe he put tanabe springs on his s-tune shocks to go lower.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:30 PM
Sensi09
Sponsor
Works Concepts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's that thread. https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/259230-help-on-springs.html

He didn't have any follow-up posts, but I believe I saw his car after the Tanabes were installed. I saw him at a canyon run and I believe I asked how it handled. I don't remember the conversation though.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:46 PM
Gsedan35

Originally Posted by Sensi09
Here's that thread. https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259230

He didn't have any follow-up posts, but I believe I saw his car after the Tanabes were installed. I saw him at a canyon run and I believe I asked how it handled. I don't remember the conversation though.
Problem is with about a 2Kg lowering of the spring rates the shocks were designed to use, being overdampned is highly likely. With non adjustable shocks a 1Kg rate swing may be ok, but even then it might not be a good idea. Just because we can, doesn't alway's mean it's a good idea, even if it's only for a few months in his case.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:42 PM
DaProdigy

Problem is with about a 2Kg lowering of the spring rates the shocks were designed to use, being overdampned is highly likely. With non adjustable shocks a 1Kg rate swing may be ok, but even then it might not be a good idea. Just because we can, doesn't alway's mean it's a good idea, even if it's only for a few months in his case.
makes sense... thanks for your help all of you guys
Old 03-31-2008, 09:45 PM
06nismoz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im running the nismo s-tune with the tanabe springs... it actually handles pretty well and has a nice aggressive drop.. the s-tune didnt look to aggressive for me neither....and i dont know if its bad for it though ...25,000 miles on it so far and no problems yet..
Old 03-31-2008, 09:52 PM
DaProdigy

Originally Posted by 06nismoz33
Im running the nismo s-tune with the tanabe springs... it actually handles pretty well and has a nice aggressive drop.. the s-tune didnt look to aggressive for me neither....and i dont know if its bad for it though ...25,000 miles on it so far and no problems yet..
interesting... i knew i wasnt the only one to want to try this... but to actually read that you've been running it for 25k+ miles is pretty solid...