Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tokico D-Spec spring/shock kit installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 01:48 PM
nramsey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tokico D-Spec spring/shock kit installed

Hi all,

Finally got good weather this weekend to install my Tokico D-Spec spring/shock kit. I ordered the kit from The Z Store:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/350z11b/23-3998

Great service from them by the way. They were originally out of stock, but they gave me prompt notice and they shipped only a few days later.

Install was a breeze. Took about 4 hours total working slowly by myself with only hand tools. Probably the easiest suspension install I've done on a car yet. Used the directions here and they worked like a charm.

https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension-diy/318335-diy-spring-installation-2-revised-by-yusoslo.html

No need for a spring compressor by the way, just put the stock spring/shock combo on the grass with one foot on the spring/top mount and undid the nut with an offset wrench. Shock only shot out about 6 inches. Easy as pie. New springs/shocks went together with no need to compress the spring to screw on the nut.

They appear to have lowered the advertised 1-1.25". Very nice look. Can't wait to get some new wheels with more width and offset to complete the look.

A quick review then. I've only driven them about 80 miles total today but have some thoughts on them. Adjustment on these shocks is done by turning a little allen screw inside the shock shaft. This adjust both rebound and compression at the same time. 7 turns out counter clockwise is full soft, all the way clockwise is full hard. The manual recommended starting at 5 turns out from full hard, but I decided to start with 4 all around. The feeling is very similar to stock, in fact it maybe rides a bit softer. Bumps absorbed with no drama, and no bouncy ride at all. On the way home I adjusted them in a turn, making that 3 turns out from full hard. The ride tightened up noticably, and felt very sporty. Still quite comfortable, in a sports car kind of way, but you can feel the bumps and the springs are very well damped. It looks like these shocks have quite a range of adjustment available!

These seem like a great bargin kit compared to a basic coilover setup. Same adjustment on the shock, for half the price. No height adjustment, but the height with these springs seems to be perfect to me.

I'll post back in a few months once I get a few thousand more miles under the belt. I have an SPC camber/toe kit for the rear on the way, as the back has quite a bit of camber. I prefer more camber than some, as I tend to drive fairly spiritedly. I've never had tire wear issues due to camber in the -2.5 degree range so I'll probably shoot for somewhere between -2.0 and -2.5. I have a few track days scheduled this July/August so I'll be eager to compare to the last track day done with stock suspension.

Here are a few pics, sorry for the dirty car!

Rear adjustment access. Hole was drilled in rear shock tower in order to gain access to the top of the shock shaft with a 3mm allen T-handle tool. Haven't decided if I'm going to drill a corresponding hole in the plastic cover or not yet.

Front adjustment access. Just pop the hood and insert allen tool.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:12 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

keep is updated, I am interested in the same combo
Old 04-13-2008, 08:35 AM
bimmertech

Originally Posted by mw9
keep is updated, I am interested in the same combo
what are you wanting to know. i've had this setup for a lil bit now and feel the same as the OP. i like it a lot, the only downside is the front springs could be a bit higher rate. other than that its great. nice drop, good sporty ride, etc....

on this setup with factory rear camber/toe adjusters i run -2.0 camber(took it up to -3.0 while doing alignment) and 0 toe. the front came in at about -1.5-2.0, but i bought some spl front arms and run -2.0 and 9.0 pos caster.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:27 PM
SlipZ

Originally Posted by nramsey
Hi all,

Finally got good weather this weekend to install my Tokico D-Spec spring/shock kit. I ordered the kit from The Z Store:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/350z11b/23-3998

Great service from them by the way. They were originally out of stock, but they gave me prompt notice and they shipped only a few days later.

Install was a breeze. Took about 4 hours total working slowly by myself with only hand tools. Probably the easiest suspension install I've done on a car yet. Used the directions here and they worked like a charm.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=318335

No need for a spring compressor by the way, just put the stock spring/shock combo on the grass with one foot on the spring/top mount and undid the nut with an offset wrench. Shock only shot out about 6 inches. Easy as pie. New springs/shocks went together with no need to compress the spring to screw on the nut.

They appear to have lowered the advertised 1-1.25". Very nice look. Can't wait to get some new wheels with more width and offset to complete the look.

A quick review then. I've only driven them about 80 miles total today but have some thoughts on them. Adjustment on these shocks is done by turning a little allen screw inside the shock shaft. This adjust both rebound and compression at the same time. 7 turns out counter clockwise is full soft, all the way clockwise is full hard. The manual recommended starting at 5 turns out from full hard, but I decided to start with 4 all around. The feeling is very similar to stock, in fact it maybe rides a bit softer. Bumps absorbed with no drama, and no bouncy ride at all. On the way home I adjusted them in a turn, making that 3 turns out from full hard. The ride tightened up noticably, and felt very sporty. Still quite comfortable, in a sports car kind of way, but you can feel the bumps and the springs are very well damped. It looks like these shocks have quite a range of adjustment available!

These seem like a great bargin kit compared to a basic coilover setup. Same adjustment on the shock, for half the price. No height adjustment, but the height with these springs seems to be perfect to me.

I'll post back in a few months once I get a few thousand more miles under the belt. I have an SPC camber/toe kit for the rear on the way, as the back has quite a bit of camber. I prefer more camber than some, as I tend to drive fairly spiritedly. I've never had tire wear issues due to camber in the -2.5 degree range so I'll probably shoot for somewhere between -2.0 and -2.5. I have a few track days scheduled this July/August so I'll be eager to compare to the last track day done with stock suspension.

Here are a few pics, sorry for the dirty car!

Rear adjustment access. Hole was drilled in rear shock tower in order to gain access to the top of the shock shaft with a 3mm allen T-handle tool. Haven't decided if I'm going to drill a corresponding hole in the plastic cover or not yet.

Front adjustment access. Just pop the hood and insert allen tool.

im having to put this in 2 weeks. Mine is a DD. and prefer to ride on the stiff side. I read that 3 turns from hard is a good setting? is this front and back?. Also do i need to get camber kit knowing its a DD.?

thanks!
Old 07-01-2008, 08:08 PM
nramsey

Sorry I haven't updated in a while guys! I still LOVE this setup. Ride height is just perfect, I've yet to scrape on anything. Ride quality is terrific. There is still some body roll though, which is to be expected since the springs are not much firmer in the front, and actually softer in the rear than the stock '07 springs. I'm eyeing some sway bars next.

My car had somewhere around -3 degrees camber after this was installed, so I'm definitely glad I did the rear camber kit. The fronts are near the limit on the negative side, but still barely in spec without a camber kit.

I'm running around 3 turns out from full hard front and back, and love the setting for daily driving. 4 turns out was smoother, but felt a bit more floaty over large freeway dips...similar to stock feeling.

Here is an updated pic with the new wheels.

Last edited by nramsey; 07-01-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:08 PM
SlipZ

thanks for response!
Old 07-05-2008, 11:43 AM
black06z

Looks good with the wheels on the updated pic.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:58 AM
haeshik

nice i have tokico as well and im gonna try 3 turns from firm
Old 07-05-2008, 12:07 PM
bimmertech

Originally Posted by haeshik
nice i have tokico as well and im gonna try 3 turns from firm
i drive on 1 front, 2 rear and have no complaints
Old 07-05-2008, 12:08 PM
haeshik

Originally Posted by bimmertech
i drive on 1 front, 2 rear and have no complaints
is that real stiff? i don't want it to be too soft and too bouncy so right in the middle.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:15 PM
bimmertech

Originally Posted by haeshik
is that real stiff? i don't want it to be too soft and too bouncy so right in the middle.
i think its fine. i don't have any bounce whatsoever. i always get compliments on my ride quality. the wife does not even complain about it--i guess she is too distracted by the nismo diff lol.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Ztalker

i think mine are set at 4...i forgot already. i've had Tokicos since 05, best money ever spent. They shouda been installed by Nissan as OEM from day one.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:46 PM
krnzzang84

Does this kit work with VDC?
Old 07-05-2008, 05:20 PM
turismo

Your car looks good. Love the drop!
Old 07-24-2008, 10:19 AM
DJL711

I also have an '07 350Z and looking into buying the same kit. Just wanted to know how far they actually drop after the springs settle in. I don't want them to drop too far over an inch and then buy upper arms and a rear camber kit. I'm considering on just buying the struts themselves and just use my stock springs since there isn't really a big gap from the wheels to the fender and it'll save me way more money since I wouldn't have to buy the arms and camber kits. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2008, 12:27 PM
RKnight

You know they sell extenders for the rear shock ajustment.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:33 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Originally Posted by DJL711
I also have an '07 350Z and looking into buying the same kit. Just wanted to know how far they actually drop after the springs settle in. I don't want them to drop too far over an inch and then buy upper arms and a rear camber kit. I'm considering on just buying the struts themselves and just use my stock springs since there isn't really a big gap from the wheels to the fender and it'll save me way more money since I wouldn't have to buy the arms and camber kits. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
The stock shocks are actually valved really well for the stock spring IMO this would be a waste of $$$ till the stock shocks start to wear out (40K+). The only way i would consider this idea is if the car is being run in BS autocross. If you just want a nice difference in handling, get a set of sways.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:45 PM
SlipZ

I have mine installed 3 weeks ago. Same set up-d specs shocks and springs. Setting is 3 turns from hard. I like the ride.

sorry the crappy celphone picture

Tokico D-Spec spring/shock kit installed-07-14-08_0545.jpg
Old 07-24-2008, 01:13 PM
DJL711

Originally Posted by terrasmak
The stock shocks are actually valved really well for the stock spring IMO this would be a waste of $$$ till the stock shocks start to wear out (40K+). The only way i would consider this idea is if the car is being run in BS autocross. If you just want a nice difference in handling, get a set of sways.
Do you know how much the actual drop is though after the tokico shocks settle in. I'm planning on buying the parts soon but not going to put them on until later on until I get most my other parts (i.e. JWT clutch & flywheel and other performance parts) which will be later on in the year or early next year. I just want to have everything so I can install it all at once instead of going back and forth to the shop and wasting time there.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:28 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Originally Posted by DJL711
Do you know how much the actual drop is though after the tokico shocks settle in. I'm planning on buying the parts soon but not going to put them on until later on until I get most my other parts (i.e. JWT clutch & flywheel and other performance parts) which will be later on in the year or early next year. I just want to have everything so I can install it all at once instead of going back and forth to the shop and wasting time there.
Shocks have nothing to do with the drop, spring will lower your car , shocks dampen the ride.

Quick Reply: Tokico D-Spec spring/shock kit installed