Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Rear steer/toe changes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 02:05 PM
BPRacer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear steer/toe changes?

Hi guys! I'm new here, and just beginning to learn the intricacies of the Z33 platform. I have a question regarding the rear suspension- is the 350Z rear suceptible to rear toe changes? Did Nissan use soft bushings in the rear arms, as so many manufacturers do, for NVH reasons, that might allow for a lot of it? Do they have something similar to the old Super-HICAS setup, or the toe bushings my old RX-7 TurboII used, which purposefully induce toe change to "enhance stability"?

The reason I am asking is that I sense a toe change or rear steer as I accellerate or decellerate and turn. This is noticeable even under moderate throttle and low g's in tighter turns- i.e. intersections and the like.

There may be some contributing factors. The car (an '05 Enthusiast) is equipped with JIC's(pretty stiff), Hotchkiss sways, and a Cusco 85% LSD. Previous owner also ran Zero toe in the rear. All of these would be likely to be the issue if it was plain ol' oversteer BUT that's not really the issue, it's a confidence thing as I feel the rear end change up quite a bit based on throttle opening. Again, I'm not talking about under hard cornering or aggressive driving, I mean at regular city street speeds.

As I am continuing to develop this car for BSP autocrossing and track duty, I'd like to know if toe change is an issue, so I can factor it into any changes I make.

OK, did I over-explain that enough?

Thanks for the help guys!

Brian Flanagan