Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

HKS Hipermax 3 coilovers few questions for the pros

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 02:00 PM
Fallen612

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HKS Hipermax 3 coilovers few questions for the pros

i think i've made my decision to go with the HKS Hipermax 3 coilovers. the non sports because my car is a DD and i dont track it. just have some fun around the turns!! anyway i have a few questions. my friends have had adjustable coilovers on there cars but i have always been confused on how to adjust them. do you use the piece that goes on before you put the spring on and screw it up and down and thats how you adjust them. or do you take a socket wrench on the top of the coilover and do it either tighten it or loosen it and it controls the height. and how do you konw that the left and right side will be the same height. does it click when you go down or up a certain ammount. and also are you suppose the compress the springs before installation. and can someone please explain that to me. thanks. and also is the HKS hipermax 3 non sports in the rears do they have a shock and spring teogether or the shock and spring seprate like the stock suspension.

o and does anyone have installations instructions to go with them or pics of there install kinda like a step by step thing?? thanks. i will be installing these myself because i have installed coilovers in my friends cars and i dont think anything of it but i want to be sure i do everything 100% right on the z. i dont want to half *** it, not to say i did on there cars. it just seems more basic?

i know thats a bunch of questions and alot to ask with the pics. but thanks for the help experts!!!!
Old 10-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Fallen612

and forgot to add. do i need control arms or any type of camber kit?? i want to drop it an inch or so.

and i will prob be selling my nismo wheels and getting the volk GTS 19" with the big offsets and 245/35/19 front and 275/35/19 rear so they will be stretched. to go with the vertex body kit im getting. i dont want to roll or cut my fenders so if i get a bit of negitive camper will it work?? and how long will my tires last as well??

all insight is welcome!!! thanks again!!
Old 10-25-2008, 02:34 PM
ohSIXz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just a heads up i may be selling my 19" gts 9.5+17 10.5+18 in mercury silver pretty soon.

if u drop it an inch on a 275, it shouldnt rub. if it does, u prolly need to add A LITTLE negative camber.

i have 285 rear right now and im dropped about 1.5+ inches w/ rolled fenders and there is no rub.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Fallen612

sweet. thanks for the heads up. im glad it wont rub. and i know the vertex kit is gonna look sexy with the big lips!!!
Old 10-25-2008, 02:40 PM
terps

I have them without a camber kit and I don't have excessive tire wear but I do have chunks of tire missing from the inner tire after aproxametly 15k miles. tread is uniform however to the eye. I got a pretty decent drop around a finger or less around. aligned with -2 camber
Old 10-25-2008, 02:42 PM
Fallen612

sweet do you have any pics of the install or anything?? and whats your impression on the HKS coilovers??
Old 10-25-2008, 02:43 PM
Fallen612

o and are the HKS have the spring and shock teogether or seperate in teh rear??
Old 10-25-2008, 04:27 PM
bimmertech

that is a bunch of questions, all that could be answered with a simple search. however i am not a douche so here ya go.

first off the rear spring is OE in design, meaing the spring sits exactly where the stocker sits.

as far as height adjustment goes for the rear, there is an adjustable perch on the rear spring as well as a collar on the shock. you must adjust the shock with the sping to maintain proper shock travel--ie when you move the spring perch a few turns, lower the shock a few turns.

in the front you just lower the shock body as the springs come preloaded from hks. if you are not coner balancing then just leave the preload alone.

as for the shock setting adjustment. the fronts are at the top of the strut and is changed with a supplied allen wrench. the rear adjustment is made by a **** on the lower part of the rear shock. this is easy for me as i have stock brakes and lmgt4's--this allows me to stick my hand through the open part of the wheel and turn the ****.

install is easy. the front struts are pre-assembled. the rest is very similar to any other spring/shock install that you can find in DIY section. the only thing i recommend is if you are going to lower the rear a lot then do the perch adjustment before you install it as it is difficult to access once installed.

as for my impressions, i like them. decent ride, although maybe not as smooth as my d-spec combo, they really shine in the handling dept though. i do have the eibach/spc rear camber arms/toe bolts and did need them--i do my own alignments and could not get it where i wanted it after lowering more than the preset levels. if you are not going to go lower than the preset ride height you will most likely not need the camber arms/toe bolts.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:17 PM
Fallen612

sweet thats great. im kinda confused about a few things. i dont understand when you say adjust the spring perch and the shock?? how do you do that when you install. and what is a spring perch??
thankks!!
Old 10-25-2008, 07:22 PM
Fallen612

and do you have any pics??? thanks
Old 10-25-2008, 07:51 PM
bimmertech

Originally Posted by Fallen612
sweet thats great. im kinda confused about a few things. i dont understand when you say adjust the spring perch and the shock?? how do you do that when you install. and what is a spring perch??
thankks!!
the rear shock has a threaded portion to it that can be turned to lower or raise the shock body. they do this so that the proper shock travel can be attained when lowering the vehicle.

as for the spring perch, it is an alum/steel round thing that sits on top of the spring between the spring and body. this perch has a threaded collar that you use to raise or lower the spring height thus changing ride height. like i said before it is very important to move the shock height in equal proportion to the spring. this is all for the rear of course as there is only one adjustment in the front. the shock can be adjusted once installed, however there will be spring tension on the rear suspension making shock height adjustment slightly harder. what i did was completely remove the rear spring perch and adjusted both with no spring in the car. this obviously takes more time and more dissassembly, but it only took me one time to achieve my desired ride height and the whole process took me only a couple minutes.

i hardly ever take pics of my stuff, but i am sure that if you google 350z rear spring adjustment you could find a couple diff pics.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Fallen612

alsome thanks man!!
Old 10-25-2008, 10:34 PM
terps

search on g35driver under my username, I got a writeup with review and pictures(would post link but on my phone). the rears are not a true coilover, the spring and shock are separate but due to the mounting locations it is actually preferred to have them seperate due to excessive wear. personally I love them but I recently moved to baltimore and the streets are horrible, pot holes that could swallow your car, completely unever streets, and lightrail lines. they are somewhat stiff and a little unforgiving for the baltimore streets but for suburbs , highway, and general driving they are awsome. they are set to 8.5-10 hardness out of 10. I would highly advisw going towards extreme stiffness since it does not really allow for the coilover to work as intended and causes premature wear.

gl with the install. I paid to have them installed and dropped, not something I would try to tackle myself. ..drop the front more than the rear by an inch or so for a nice stance.