Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Lowering

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 05:44 PM
OldDirty Z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my tires for 10k miles and fronts are looking good with no uneven wear but really noisy. The rears had inner wear more then the out sides of the tires.(camber issue but not crazy wear) I just flopped the rear tires from one to the other and now its even! lol
Old 01-01-2009, 06:33 PM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

phorbo007...can you post a recent pic of your Z?
Old 01-10-2009, 05:02 PM
BIG Z

Originally Posted by phorbo007
^
I thought about getting the GF210s also instead of my Hotchkis because of the bigger drop, but camber kit will be a necessity if you don't want to prematurely wear out your tires. Also it might be a good idea to change out the shocks too due to the higher spring rate and lower drop.

The Hotchkis are actually tuned to work well with factory shocks, so that's what I chose as a cost-effective solution.
Where did you read this, that the Hotchkis are tuned to work w/ factory shocks? Thanks.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:38 PM
MikeyG

I think the key here with camber kits is it is very car to car specific. I noticed someone a few posts back say they have GF210 with no camber kits and it is perfect. I have the same springs and needed both front and rear camber kits. One of my front wheels was at -2.7 and the other at -2.3 if I remember correctly. I wanted to be around the max limit of factory specs near -1.4 since it is just a DD and I don't track it.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:04 PM
lil_shaun

Im on nf210's (lower than gf210's) and i dont have a camber kit, all settings are within factory spec

If its within factory spec, then hell its good enough for me...And if your concerned about tire wear just make sure your toe is to spec, camber doesnt kill tires as fast as incorrect toe settings do

I used to have a slammed civic, the rear driver side had -4* camber but the toe was perfect, the rear passenger sides toe adjuster was frozen in the bushing so couldnt be adjusted and was out of spec with -4* camber as well...the driver side wore properly and NOT prematurely, where as the passenger side tore up real quick

if u spend your money on camber kits for a <1" drop then your wasting your money
Old 01-11-2009, 10:39 AM
phorbo007

Originally Posted by BIG Z
Where did you read this, that the Hotchkis are tuned to work w/ factory shocks? Thanks.
This was from from a vendor about the Hotchkis:

"Hotchkis has gone a step further than the rest of the spring companies by actually track testing the Hotchkis Springs and matching them to what the Stock Shock valving can handle. The ride quality of the Z is improved with the Hotchkis Springs, do to lowering the rear spring rate by 20 pounds from stock, this removes the bounce in the suspension that so many of us have grown to hate. Hotchkis increases the Front Spring rate to improve turn in and keep the car cornering flatter than stock.

Hotchkis Springs will allow for factory alignment specs without any other items like camber or toe rods. "

SluggoZ - I will try to get pics today of my car
Old 01-11-2009, 04:07 PM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by phorbo007
This was from from a vendor about the Hotchkis:

"Hotchkis has gone a step further than the rest of the spring companies by actually track testing the Hotchkis Springs and matching them to what the Stock Shock valving can handle. The ride quality of the Z is improved with the Hotchkis Springs, do to lowering the rear spring rate by 20 pounds from stock, this removes the bounce in the suspension that so many of us have grown to hate. Hotchkis increases the Front Spring rate to improve turn in and keep the car cornering flatter than stock.

Hotchkis Springs will allow for factory alignment specs without any other items like camber or toe rods. "

SluggoZ - I will try to get pics today of my car
Cool.....can't wait!
Old 01-12-2009, 06:03 AM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That statement was written back when Hotchkis designed these springs for the 2003 MY vehicle which exhibited a bounce at highway speeds. They solved the problem by making the rear springs softer than factory spec. This was confirmed by many forum members at the time.

Nissan then revised the rear springs and shocks on 2004.5+ to eliminate the same bounce. They did this by upping the spring rate and spec'd new shock valving to match.

To my knowledge Hotchkis never changed their spring rates in response to this but I was assured by Hotchkis sales they were still "matched" to my 2004.5 350Z. Now that I have the Hotchkis installed I have the bounce at highway speeds where I didn't before.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:55 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

Just get the full Hotchkis kit with sways, sways make the car so much more enjoyable to drive. Then the endlinks, stock ones are just fine if you don't run the stiff settings. Soft rear (yes it is stiffer than stock) and one up from full soft front ( still stiffer) you will get plenty of miles out of the endlinks.