Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

calipers leaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Zquicksilver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default calipers leaking

Hello,

I need some help or advise on a problem I currently have with my Rotora BBK.

My BBK was originally installed in 05/06 and has provided great street performance for almost 57k. Brake wear seems normal and everything was fine until late summer. It was then when I first noticed some leaking from my right rear caliper. I tightened the hard line nut at the base of the caliper, seemed a little loose, and the problem went away for a while. Around November I noticed some fluid inside my right rear wheel similar to when I first noticed the leak. But this time I torque’d the same nut and it didn't stop the leak. It was now coming from the inside of the caliper. I took it by a reputable shop and they came to the conclusion that my inside piston seal(s) may be shot. So I ordered two new seals from Rotora and have been waiting to install them. I've been topping off my reservoir on a 3 week basis for about 3 months now. I filled it up on Monday and then my brake light came on this past Wednesday. I was like WTH is going on... Keep in mind all my other brake calipers were fine up until this week. Now all of the sudden my two calipers on the left side are leaking in a similar manner to right rear caliper. My front right caliper is completely dry... bizarre!?

So I don't know what's going on and why all of the sudden my two left calipers would start to leak? I live in Chicago and my Z is my DD. The weather is very harsh at times (-10) and has been brutal this year, just like last year. I'm not overly hard on my brakes and put a lot of miles on my Z via the highway.

One conclusion based on some research here is that my seals are probably worn out. But that wouldn't explain why the two on the left went out at exactly the same time. The odds are just too great IMHO. My blue sky theory is water and or air absorption. I haven't flushed the system in almost 3yrs, stupid on my part I know... So I think the tainted brake fluid is causing my calipers internal parts to freeze somehow or stick and not work properly. I lost about ½ an inch in the reservoir in 3 days, but it has since stopped. The temperature is rising here, but was around 2 degrees on Monday.

Please, what are your thoughts...? I personally find the situation bizarre!

Zquicksilver
Old 02-06-2009, 04:34 PM
bimmertech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stuff happens man.

sometimes it is TOO coincidental that stuff like that happens, but sometimes it just does. just like your rr caliper leaking didn't give you any notice.

you should maintain your fluid better, but if anything poor fluid maintenance typically causes stuck/seized pistons.

good luck
Old 02-06-2009, 06:40 PM
Zquicksilver

^ I hope its just bad fluid. I'm going to attempt to bleed the brakes tomorrow with a one man bleeder. If I get comfortable doing this, I'll probably do it once a year...

I'm going to keep checking back here for possible answers.

Zquicksilver
Old 02-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Zquicksilver

Ok, for anyone following this, lol...

So I went to Napa last Saturday, talked to a few guys there about the situation and they said bleeding the system probably won't help. They said have the rear caliper inspected and replace the piston seals if needed. Then get the system bled at that point. If the problem persists... change out all the seals. So I went home empty handed and figured maybe I'll just power wash each caliper. Maybe this will help!? The day was nice and the power washer seemed to really clean things up! After cleaning the car I decided to test the brakes, what do I have to loose. So I found a desolate area that I could do about 10 hard stops. I wanted to see if the calipers would continue to leak under stress. After performing these stops I found all four rotors polished up, unlike before. The "good" rotor (FR) started to turn colors after about the 10th stop. I stopped at that point and figured it was doing most of the work. All the calipers were bone dry, except for the RR, it was continuing to leak I'm not sure what's going on with the other two brakes on the left side, but the situation improved. Its been about 7 days now and the RR caliper continues to leak. I still don't have a clue as to why the other two started leaking!? I'm taking her to the shop next week to have the RR caliper inspected and the entire system bled. I hope this fixes the problem.

The reservoir seams to be holding the fluid longer, so I assume I can drive around like this for another week. The pedal is not spongy, I figured it would be, but this isn't case. Breaking is linear, even through 3 months of up and down levels in the reservoir... This was not the case in my old 300zx, lol.

To be continued...
Zquicksilver

Last edited by Zquicksilver; 02-13-2009 at 03:08 PM.