Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

KW v2 Basic setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 05:58 AM
mikedbz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KW v2 Basic setup

I ended up ordering KW V2's. I will be installing them on an 04 touring 350z.

I am looking for a more neutral balance than stock. I would like to keep a slight understeer, basically just as a little safety until my skill develops further. I drive the car on weekends/ evenings and do some lapping days. Not a daily driver, so I am willing to sacrafice ride comfort for performance. It has stock HP and runs on 275/40/18 & 255/40/18 T1R's most of the time. I don't have any R class tires, but will probably buy some eventually for the track days.

I am looking to end up with a max of 1" drop, and I hope to get peoples suggestions on what damper settings and spring collar levels to begin with to be close to what I am looking for. Thank you!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:59 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Just put them on, adjust to your drop ( roughly 20mm ) and set the clickers a little softer in the rear. I do suggest a corner balance.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

R comp on V2's? Did the place you bought them from know that was something you would do with the setup? You can do light track work, but R comps is another level that the setup really isn't going to do well with. Which brings me to the subject of settings. Be carefull about pushing the dampers above half way settings, especially in the rear. Based on the shock dyno's I ran on the setup, recommended settings are no higher then 1.5 turn's front and 1 turn in the rear, based on spring rates and a need to surpress internal pressure inbalances (phase lag or hysteresis). On the rear's even at 1.5 turns (remember one turn is recommended) you could actually hear the shock struggling, at full stiff it only got worse, if you were run that very long you'd wear out the shock oil in a hurry from shearing.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:32 PM
mikedbz

I didn't tell the shop that I would be going to R comp tires, but they are well aware of what I wanted to do with the car. I have three sets of wheels (stock, Rota P45R and RPF1) when I burn off the tires currently on the Rotas is when I planned to buy some R compound tires, unless some fall into my lap before then.

It's been hard choosing a suspension setup. I was actually ready to order Cusco Zero-2 and the guy at the speed shop talked me out of it and into KW's. I was fine with that, since KW was one of the main brands I was considering anyway, originally considering V1's. With the sale price on V2's, they ended up being lower than Cusco and not much more than I expected to pay for V1s.

I PM'd the shop the same question I posted here, but I guess they didn't care to answer it or maybe just didn't know the answer. The coil overs should be sitting at my house right now (I think they are being delivered today) but won't be installed for a few more weeks so I have some time to figure this out. They assured me that the KW's were far superior on the track compared to Cusco Zero-2, and would offer much better support if I ever needed repairs or rebuilds. I had read the same about support, but in my mind from what I'd read, I thought the Cusco and V2 were basically equals, with the only performance benefit on KW's side being softer spring rates and possibly a more comfy ride (and having instructions in English).

So on V2's are you basically saying they can't go stiff enough to make good use of R compound tires? Thanks.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:11 PM
stuntman

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

FYI - you should never track a stock (suspension) car with R-compounds. The cornering forces of the R-comps will overpower the suspension and the car will rollover...

Seriously, I've tracked 350's with V3's and it is far from an issue. What are your tire widths front and rear?

Cheston Chiu (Chesbosto - sp?) has KW Clubsports's on his track car with very wide tires and they are amazing on the track.

I wouldn't worry about it. I also have the rebound ballpark 1/4 to 1/2 turn (turns, not overall adjustments) from full stiff and they don't blow out or lose their damping.

But I don't have a shock dyno and 'years of experience', I just track them...
Old 02-24-2009, 07:54 PM
24v GTI Guy

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
R comp on V2's? Did the place you bought them from know that was something you would do with the setup? You can do light track work, but R comps is another level that the setup really isn't going to do well with. Which brings me to the subject of settings. Be carefull about pushing the dampers above half way settings, especially in the rear. Based on the shock dyno's I ran on the setup, recommended settings are no higher then 1.5 turn's front and 1 turn in the rear, based on spring rates and a need to surpress internal pressure inbalances (phase lag or hysteresis). On the rear's even at 1.5 turns (remember one turn is recommended) you could actually hear the shock struggling, at full stiff it only got worse, if you were run that very long you'd wear out the shock oil in a hurry from shearing.
Would you say that applies for the Variant 3s as well??
Im seriously considering an upgrade to those from my Tein Basics which were fine for me on the track, canyons and the street. Do you think I will experiece a tremendous upgrade moving from the Basics to the V3s?

Last edited by 24v GTI Guy; 02-24-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:59 PM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 24v GTI Guy
Would you say that applies for the Variant 3s as well??
Im seriously considering an upgrade to those from my Tein Basics which where fine for me at the track, canyons and the roads. Do you think I will experiece a tremendous upgrade moving from the Basics to the V3s?
I'm running the V3s on 2/3 stiffness and I don't hear any shock noises