Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Need Help choosing a Coilover kit for my car!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes the Eibach kit requires you to elongate the toe bolt holes - very simple to to (drill, die grinder, etc)

Bushings are a wear item - at some point, they simply loose their ability to retain the shape and work as intended. Some even can tear (lower inner control arm bushings, for example - I had to do these on my car with less than half the miles you have).

Upper mounts - I've yet to see a Z need replacement ones, even high mileage. Doesn't mean it's not possible, but I would expect it to manifest itself in some sort of noise (best guess). Cutting the rear spring mounts by a reasonable amount should not cause the issues you are describing. What could cause it? Who knows, could be anyones guess

What tires are you running?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:25 AM
danimaldaisy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running Hankook ventus EVO's

They are better than the stock potenzas and i get no sidewall flex....nice grip... tire does have inner and outer on the sidewall....I needed tires QUICK as i was already over budget at the time since i had purchased the D-specs just days earlier.

cutting the rear spring mounts threw the handling off....it was as if i tightened my rear sway bar...but in a weird way...anyways rear upper spring mounts should be on their way...last step would be to replace the endlinks.

and also the nismo hard bushing kit.....it isn't really THAT complete is it....i mean...no bushing for the lower front shock??? wonder what else is missing....

Too bad Energy suspension has not released a kit for the 350.......

ohh forgot...tires are 245/35/19 front and 275/35/19 rear
Old 05-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

I have no experience with those tires, so can't help there - certainly could be a factor

for the bushings, whiteline has a lower shock mount bushing, as well as all other bushings for the car
Old 05-28-2009, 11:27 AM
danimaldaisy

I checked the whiteline website, but they only have springs, sways, endlinks, and the blackbox...

unless you have another link..

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ng&prodid=3783

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ng&prodid=3784

we should have all of them on the shelf except the inner front control arm bushings, which got pushed back by whiteline (no real eta right now)
Old 05-28-2009, 02:39 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dspiel@m1autosport
If you want the best springs for a smooth ride and improved handling get Swift. Zeal and other high end coilovers use springs made by Swift. They will last a long time.
ZEAL stopped using Swift springs. They have their own brand springs now called X-Coils. The coil profile is actually egg shaped instead of round. Dominic says they are better than Swift and are mroe linear throughout the compression range..
Old 05-28-2009, 03:15 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

^thanks for the info
Old 05-29-2009, 07:21 AM
Tim350z

Originally Posted by danimaldaisy
The instructions say that you can go 7.5 turns from full stiff which would be full soft(feels like a blown shock on this setting as it has ZERO damping)

the manual recommended 5 turns from full stiff....but i could easily compress it in my hand so i went to 4 turns from full stiff on all four and procedded to install them....this was on a saturday

after going around the block twice i immediately went to 3 turns up front and then two......then i set the rears at 3 and left it there at it felt good.

monday when i left work it felt soft????? so when i got off the freeway to go to the bank i set it to 1 turn from full stiff up front and then 2 turns in the rear.....

at the end of the week on a thursday....it started feeling soft again...so going to the bank (yes again) i was in the parking lot and just set everything to full stiff.....it was kinda harsh......the next day after work it was more of a comfy stiff.....It has held this feeling up to now thank god

the problem with these D-specs is that they adjust compression and rebound at the same time....on paper it sounds good, but not on the road.....

the stiffer the setting the better it feels EXCEPT that it fights compression and rebound the more you tighten them up...and it can be a bad thing....

i like stiff, but i want it to be more forgiving.....but the wierd part is that they are comfy stiff...i bet anything less than 1 turn from full hard maybe 2 is just TOO SOFT.

what is wierding me out.....

1. did the struts just crap out prematureley?

2. do they actually settle (air bubbles- but i doubt it)

It COULD be my cut down rear upper spring mounts, but i ordered a new set 2 weeks ago and they still have not arrived for me to even test out!

the spring mounts MAY be the problem, but i doubt it will improve the damping.

i have to experiment a little more and see.

I really wish I got the KONI's instead.....now for the money.....instead of KONI i rather get coil overs for two reasons

1. higher spring rates
2. stiffer strut to handle those rates....koni's would have to be revalved, but their are no aftermarket springs with rates that would call for re valving.....plus these coil overs are just flat out cheaper!!!!
Honestly man it sounds like coils are what you need. I can speak from experience that they will make a world of difference to your car. Springs and cheap struts are just that "cheap". They are good for some, but not for everyone. The Z does handle good stock and BC Coilovers keep the same handling characteristics, but make the car feel a million times better. You can drive your car so much harder that it will blow your mind.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:39 PM
danimaldaisy

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ng&prodid=3783

http://www.z1auto.com/prodmore.asp?m...ng&prodid=3784

we should have all of them on the shelf except the inner front control arm bushings, which got pushed back by whiteline (no real eta right now)
Thanks for the links.

can i press these in myself? don't laugh...but does harbor freight sell a tool to do this?

thanks!

I'm more of a DIY guy wherever possible.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:43 PM
danimaldaisy

Originally Posted by Tim350z
Honestly man it sounds like coils are what you need. I can speak from experience that they will make a world of difference to your car. Springs and cheap struts are just that "cheap". They are good for some, but not for everyone. The Z does handle good stock and BC Coilovers keep the same handling characteristics, but make the car feel a million times better. You can drive your car so much harder that it will blow your mind.
Sounds like i am pointing towards this.....SERIOUSLY thinking about it....

Maybe i could sell all my other springs and struts to someone for cheap..
Old 05-30-2009, 09:18 PM
danimaldaisy

OK.

I just read on another post that these are NOT DIY.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

how much will it cost to replace all the important bushings that would affect handling???

has anyone paid to get this done???
Old 05-31-2009, 04:27 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

some of the parts are duplicated with other parts, such as the inner upper control arm bushings (if you have aftermarket arms, these won't work), or lower shock bushings (if you have coilovers, these won't work), and upper shock bushings (if your coilovers come with pillowball mounts, these won't work)

grab yourself a factory service manual and you can see what is involved. Front lower control arm for example is about a 1 -1.5 hour job per side if your skilled and have air tools, but you would really need to consult a shop and ask what they charge, since labor rates vary tremendously througout the country
Old 05-31-2009, 08:20 PM
danimaldaisy

Z1

I was kinda getting tired of waiting for my rear upper spring mounts that all of a sudden seem to be on back order.

SO! since i cut half an inch off the rear upper spring mount...could be like .55 inches taking away the material I removed cutting it.....I decided to put the stock rear springs back on.....Right away i noticed that maybe i should adjust the D-specs from complete stiff to one notch down.....So on my way back from getting a haircut, I adjusted them in the parking lot (Vette Guy honked and gave me a thumbs up cause he KNEW I was adjusting the Struts!)

It seems just right now!!!! I still am going to put the Rear upper spring mounts back in with the rear RS-R springs (ETA depending on when those parts arrive.

After all this time I have realized my problem.....Nothing is wrong with the sway bar bushings and brackets as the are tightened just over spec (I checked again today)

My NEW problem that has been creeping up on me has been found.

I have NEW hotchkis sways that are Two months old.....Here is the Important part of what has happened recently. When I first got my Hotchkis sways on I had Tokico blues and my RS-R's...I was playing around with sway settings until i realized that i needed the rears on the softest setting and the fronts on the stiffest setting (3rd hole---4th is for the G35) and I immediately got my sways working JUST as they were supposed to.

But I made the mistake of cutting my rear upper spring mounts and this took stiffness away from the front and transferred it to the rear...NO amount of sway tuning would get rid of it...unless I went 3rd-4th hole staggered up front (4th hole will cause the end link to bind so I only went around the block a few times before I put it back..I then got my car aligned....The ONLY thing I have done since was install D-specs and adjust them....

I have mickey moused the rear end with stock rear springs that would put the rear height exactly where the RS-R's should be.......but this time I did NOT get the stiffness back in the front of the vehicle....Something wore out here....I am already leaning towards a factory set of end links cause it's only 60.00 worth of parts to troubleshoot this problem.

My question is this....The front sway bar connects to the end link, but I am thinking that if the bushings are weak in the lower Traverse link...It will compromise the effectiveness of the front sway bar to work the way it is supposed to and it will feel weaker....I'm sure that I probably have the same problem in the rear.....torquing my rear wheels lug nuts today the rear of the car was rocking....and it wasn't the tire...It was the weakness of all the rear bushings on both sides combined....I really think it is affecting the sways because since I have the struts down pat right now....I need to get my sways to work properly.....I am going to wait until I get my rear upper spring mounts so that I can get the RS-R's back in and retest (but I don't think it is going to make a difference)

I have front Tubular A arms with adjustable camber that came with its own ball joint. ( I understand that i cant get bushings for this)

I don't have coil overs, but are you saying that you must use the stock lower front strut bushing for coil overs???

anyhow.....besides the lower front shock bushing....Is there anything else white line makes that Nissan does not?

One last thing...I read in another post that you have the Nismo hard bushing kit ( at least I think you have them )

Have you had to replace any other bushings....and do you feel the white line bushings are superior?

I must find a solution....My car is payed off in august and I simply just want to enjoy it....I really should solve this problem before I try to attempt coil overs.

Do you recommend I do a full bushing kit? By replacing all of them I feel that I will target all the bad bushings all at once while not missing any future problem bushings (end all be all)

I am going to call duarte Nissan and get a feel for how much they would charge to install the complete hard bushing kit...and then prepare to order parts and hit up my local dealership for the install and get them to price match...at least if they break something....they will have parts handy.

I hope I described the problem enough for you to get a feel for where i am at.

I will be embarrassed if I bashed the GF210's for nothing.

Either way...we WILL be doing business.

I appreciate your patience and help.

Last edited by danimaldaisy; 05-31-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:53 AM
FTD350z

Thanks everyone for the help. Im still not sure what im going to get the BC does sound good. I was hearing about Stance too but not sure how good they are. eventually i will track my car some day but for now its just my summer car which i want to be able to drop u know and i dont wanna go with just springs because i want to be able to adjust my height and leave it how i want it. Plus ive been reading and a lot of ppl that have springs are always complaining that their hieght is different on all four corners. I dont want to have that problem myself
Old 06-01-2009, 06:13 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by danimaldaisy
Z1

I was kinda getting tired of waiting for my rear upper spring mounts that all of a sudden seem to be on back order.

SO! since i cut half an inch off the rear upper spring mount...could be like .55 inches taking away the material I removed cutting it.....I decided to put the stock rear springs back on.....Right away i noticed that maybe i should adjust the D-specs from complete stiff to one notch down.....So on my way back from getting a haircut, I adjusted them in the parking lot (Vette Guy honked and gave me a thumbs up cause he KNEW I was adjusting the Struts!)

It seems just right now!!!! I still am going to put the Rear upper spring mounts back in with the rear RS-R springs (ETA depending on when those parts arrive.

After all this time I have realized my problem.....Nothing is wrong with the sway bar bushings and brackets as the are tightened just over spec (I checked again today)

My NEW problem that has been creeping up on me has been found.

I have NEW hotchkis sways that are Two months old.....Here is the Important part of what has happened recently. When I first got my Hotchkis sways on I had Tokico blues and my RS-R's...I was playing around with sway settings until i realized that i needed the rears on the softest setting and the fronts on the stiffest setting (3rd hole---4th is for the G35) and I immediately got my sways working JUST as they were supposed to.

But I made the mistake of cutting my rear upper spring mounts and this took stiffness away from the front and transferred it to the rear...NO amount of sway tuning would get rid of it...unless I went 3rd-4th hole staggered up front (4th hole will cause the end link to bind so I only went around the block a few times before I put it back..I then got my car aligned....The ONLY thing I have done since was install D-specs and adjust them....

I have mickey moused the rear end with stock rear springs that would put the rear height exactly where the RS-R's should be.......but this time I did NOT get the stiffness back in the front of the vehicle....Something wore out here....I am already leaning towards a factory set of end links cause it's only 60.00 worth of parts to troubleshoot this problem.

My question is this....The front sway bar connects to the end link, but I am thinking that if the bushings are weak in the lower Traverse link...It will compromise the effectiveness of the front sway bar to work the way it is supposed to and it will feel weaker....I'm sure that I probably have the same problem in the rear.....torquing my rear wheels lug nuts today the rear of the car was rocking....and it wasn't the tire...It was the weakness of all the rear bushings on both sides combined....I really think it is affecting the sways because since I have the struts down pat right now....I need to get my sways to work properly.....I am going to wait until I get my rear upper spring mounts so that I can get the RS-R's back in and retest (but I don't think it is going to make a difference)

I have front Tubular A arms with adjustable camber that came with its own ball joint. ( I understand that i cant get bushings for this)

I don't have coil overs, but are you saying that you must use the stock lower front strut bushing for coil overs???

anyhow.....besides the lower front shock bushing....Is there anything else white line makes that Nissan does not?

One last thing...I read in another post that you have the Nismo hard bushing kit ( at least I think you have them )

Have you had to replace any other bushings....and do you feel the white line bushings are superior?

I must find a solution....My car is payed off in august and I simply just want to enjoy it....I really should solve this problem before I try to attempt coil overs.

Do you recommend I do a full bushing kit? By replacing all of them I feel that I will target all the bad bushings all at once while not missing any future problem bushings (end all be all)

I am going to call duarte Nissan and get a feel for how much they would charge to install the complete hard bushing kit...and then prepare to order parts and hit up my local dealership for the install and get them to price match...at least if they break something....they will have parts handy.

I hope I described the problem enough for you to get a feel for where i am at.

I will be embarrassed if I bashed the GF210's for nothing.

Either way...we WILL be doing business.

I appreciate your patience and help.

There are no suspension bushings that one offers that the other doesn't as best I can recall.

I really can't begin to guess what your issue(s) might be, sorry. With the amount of miles your car has, it could reasonably be assumed that your bushings are at best, not at the same stiffness as they were when the car was new. As mentioned, I found mine highly compromised after far less miles than yours, and as such, I replaced everything that I could. Trimming the rear spring mount slightly should not affect the spring at all, except to make it slightly lower. If you have a progressive spring, this will start you off at a more stiff setting, but really should not be any big deal provided you aren't just hacking off major parts of it. Again, I've never had any reason to do this, as my coilovers (HKS) let me get the car to the height that the scales say it should be at.

Yes, I have the NISMO kit, because at the time, that is all that was available. I don't have an opinion of which is "better" because it's all subjective. I would not hesitate to use either kit in my own car again. In fact, due to the limited availability of the NISMO kit, we are going to use the Whitelines in our other Z since we have them on the shelf
Old 06-01-2009, 06:28 AM
FTD350z

Might be a stupid question but whats the spring rate all about? whats the difference with them. Will it lower more the higher the number is or is it more stiff??
Old 06-01-2009, 06:50 AM
Barnabas
National Z Club President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The higher the number the Stiffer it is... .
Old 06-01-2009, 07:01 AM
FTD350z

Ok thanks
Old 06-01-2009, 03:27 PM
danimaldaisy

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
There are no suspension bushings that one offers that the other doesn't as best I can recall.

I really can't begin to guess what your issue(s) might be, sorry. With the amount of miles your car has, it could reasonably be assumed that your bushings are at best, not at the same stiffness as they were when the car was new. As mentioned, I found mine highly compromised after far less miles than yours, and as such, I replaced everything that I could. Trimming the rear spring mount slightly should not affect the spring at all, except to make it slightly lower. If you have a progressive spring, this will start you off at a more stiff setting, but really should not be any big deal provided you aren't just hacking off major parts of it. Again, I've never had any reason to do this, as my coilovers (HKS) let me get the car to the height that the scales say it should be at.

Yes, I have the NISMO kit, because at the time, that is all that was available. I don't have an opinion of which is "better" because it's all subjective. I would not hesitate to use either kit in my own car again. In fact, due to the limited availability of the NISMO kit, we are going to use the Whitelines in our other Z since we have them on the shelf
This bushing problem might be contributing to my stock endlinks not giving the correct preload to the sways......with the rear of the car off the ground i can only assume that i have no preload.....I may have to fix both endlinks and bushings.....

I will have to hunt down someone to install these once i get the funds to do so cause it will probably cost a GRIP to install them.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:54 PM
danimaldaisy

Z1

just out of curiosity....Is it possible to get the Springs only from the D-spec spring and strut package.....

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Need Help choosing a Coilover kit for my car!!