Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Rotora 6pot BBK Failure!!??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:56 AM
URNZWAY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotora 6pot BBK Failure!!??

Here we go, I recently installed Rotora's 6 pot front/4 pot rear with 15 inch rotors all around, drilled and sloted! Im running DOT 5 synthetic brake fluid.

I'v had no problems with the set-up untill a week latter when I mash the pedal on the interstate because a tractor trailer cuts me off and all I get is a heal full of the floor board! What gives?

I make it home to find that my front left rim is coverd in DOT 5 brake fluid, Not Happy!!! I could'nt tell where it was coming from but it seems to be the brake line itself. Is this a known broblem or is my luck that bad!?

To make things worse, I take it to a local shop and the would be mechanic takes one look and says "er, i dont think i done those before" wtf! I tried contacting Rotora, all they are good for is selling parts, not tech support!

Anything?

Bruce_
Old 07-22-2009, 08:59 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Is it coming from the copper washers going into the caliper? Or is the line itself busted?
Old 07-22-2009, 09:15 AM
plumpzz

Are you allowed to use DOT5? I thought Z's were limited to DOT4.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Changvi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^+1 I have a feeling that the DOT 5 fluids might have corroded the brake lines. I've been on DOT 4 for about a year with no issues.

Last edited by Changvi; 07-22-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:34 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Dot 5 sounds like the problem , even if the Rotora's are good for it , the rest if your OEM system are not.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:49 AM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

huh. interesting post and commentary. i learned something new today.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:44 AM
RastabeanZ

IDK if this helps but I thought it was interesting.

http://www.afcoracing.com/tech_pages/fluid.shtml
Old 07-22-2009, 11:13 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Let me see if I understand OP.

You think it's the brake line that's leaking/broken. You take it to a mechanic who (apparently) looks at the caliper and says he doesn't work on them. You call Rotora and are unhappy with their service. Does that sum it up?

From the description of what happened, I'd be tempted to agree with you that a hose popped. That would have left you without brakes (at all) and definitely sprayed fluid all over.

Did you (or a friend) try pumping the brakes to see if you can tell where the fluid IS coming from?

Did the mechanic look at it at all to see if he can tell where it's coming from? No matter what type of brake system he's looked at, hose are generic and can be replaced easily. He should be able to figure that much out.

Rotora can't fix or support something if they don't have details of the problem and from what you've told us here, you have no details.

Now for the really bad news. If you truly are using DOT 5 synthetic, then the whole brake system in your Z needs to be replaced. True DOT 5 synthetic will destroy the rubber seals, O-rings, gaskets, etc. throughout the entire system. I hope for your sake you are really using a DOT 5.1 fluid, not a DOT 5.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:15 AM
Parker01

I run DOT 5.1 for the higher boiling point, no problems... except that jackass I had bleed the brakes didn't seat the bleeder screws on the front calipers properly so a couple drops of fluid came when it got super hot and was under the pressure of braking. Which is relevant to this thread... make sure the bleeder screws were torqued down and seated properly. Otherwise check your lines... have someone sit in your car and hold the brake pedal to the floor while you inspect the suspected areas. Then clean up all that fluid before it destroys everything it touched.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:08 AM
URNZWAY

Okay guys, I have an update!

I took the car to Nissan and they checked it out for me. The brake line was rubbing the inside of the wheel. That caused the line to become weak and bust. This happened about 3" up from the caliber itself on the left front!

Also-you guys are freaking me out with this DOT 5 nonsence. Nissan is who recomended the DOT 5 to begin with. Once I read the above post I got worried and called them to see what my options were, I was assured that DOT 5 will be fine with the set-up! With the exception of my my master cylinder, all else is steel lines with copper fittings. Therefore the fluid should and would not eat thru anything however, I must keep the area clean so that any overspray wont distroy the finish on the kit itself.

Where did you guys get that info from? (not using dot 5 in a z) I would like to check it out and show the service manager at Nissan that info!

I had Brake Warehouse overnight me two replacment lines from Rotora! I will keep all of you posted when I hear back from Nissan latter today. Also, I will post pics once I get the car back!

Thanks again for your response in this matter.

-Bruce
Old 07-23-2009, 08:18 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

You want to use a DOT4 or DOT5.1 brake fluid. DOT5 is a completely different beast than other brake fluids and can damage your brake unless it is designed for DOT5.

DOT5.1 is designed to be backwards compatible with DOT4.

FYI our cars use DOT3 brake fluid, DOT4 will work as a replacement for DOT3.

I am currently running Motul RBF600 with my Endless brakes, it is a DOT4 fluid.

Last edited by dikspiel; 07-23-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:41 AM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by URNZWAY
Where did you guys get that info from? (not using dot 5 in a z) I would like to check it out and show the service manager at Nissan that info!
We get info from the owners and factory service manuals. From your owners manual:

BRAKE FLUID
Check the fluid level in the reservoir. If the fluid is
below the MIN line or the brake warning light
comes on, add Genuine NISSAN Super Heavy
Duty Brake Fluid or equivalent DOT 3 fluid
up to
the MAX line. If fluid must be added frequently,
the system should be thoroughly checked by
your NISSAN dealer.
WARNING
Use only new fluid. Old, inferior, or contaminated
fluid may damage the brake
system. Do not add synthetic brake
fluid.
The use of improper fluids can
damage the brake system and affect the
vehicle’s stopping ability.
CAUTION
Do not spill the fluid on painted surfaces.
This will damage the paint. If fluid
is spilled, wash with water.

FSM:

Precautions for Brake System AFS0007W
 Recommended fluid is brake fluid “DOT 3”.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:42 AM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

oh snap, what a surprise Nissan service department doesn't know what's going on!
Old 07-23-2009, 01:47 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

The cap for brake fluid even says DOT3.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:50 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Taiwanese brakes FTW?
Old 07-23-2009, 02:09 PM
URNZWAY

That sucks, iI hope this is not going to be a major problem now! Nissan should be responsible for replacing anything that gets damaged from the use of dot5...

Im aware that the cap says dot 3 but just like anything else we do to our cars, we upgrade. Is it possible to go to 5.1 after dot 5 was ran thru the system? Dealership is closed now however, im going to have a field day with them tomorrow!
Old 07-23-2009, 02:11 PM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

^I think if you flush it really good
Old 07-23-2009, 02:31 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

The big issue is going to be how long the DOT 5 is/was in the system. I don't know if there are any published guidelines on what is safe, etc.

And while you can claim that they told you to use DOT 5, unless you have it in writing, you don't have much of a leg to stand on. It's aftermarket brakes you're talking about, which I doubt Nissan installed for you.

In any case, you need to find a good mechanic who is familiar with brake systems. He'll need to totally drain then repeatedly flush the system. Check with Rotora to make sure the calipers are compatible with DOT 5, otherwise you may have to get them torn down, cleaned and rebuilt.

My big concern would be with the ABS pump. I know from experience what a b!tch it is to bleed when it gets air in it, I can imagine it's going to be even worse to get 5.1 fluid flushed through it to completely get rid of the 5 fluid.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:54 PM
URNZWAY

The car was driven for five days with dot 5 in the system and parked for another four days now? (if it matters)

So, if it could be flushed out (which seems likely) what do you recommend, Dot 5.1 or Dot 4?

I was told by another member here that the kit is capable of runing dot 5. I will confirm this tho!
Old 07-23-2009, 03:28 PM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by URNZWAY
Nissan should be responsible for replacing anything that gets damaged from the use of dot5...
Why should they be responsible for peoples' ignorance?

Quick Reply: Rotora 6pot BBK Failure!!??