Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Brembo-equipped, centric rotors and Stop-Tech Street pads review

Old 04-01-2010, 09:49 AM
idrive_MD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brembo-equipped, centric rotors and Stop-Tech Street pads review

Posted this originally on driver, but thought maybe some non-driver browsing Z-owners would be interested in the results as well.

This past weekend I installed new centric slotted rotors (aka PowerSlots) and StopTech Street Performance pads (aka 309 pads) on my OEM-Brembo coupe. Obviously going from original rotors with 73-k miles to new makes a huge difference, but I would have to say the biggest difference after the pressure change is the faster bite the StopTechs have over Hawk HPS. The StopTechs are also more affordable as well.

I've been doing what I could to get a good feel for the whole setup since I installed them, driving like a mad man to and from work and so far I am all grins and popping eyeballs. With the wet weather we have been having here lately it is nice to be stomping on slotted rotors again, there is definitely a huge improvement in wet braking performance compared to the OEM-rotors.

I would surely recommend this setup to anyone looking for added performance, but looking to maintain streetability as well. They perform a lot better in emergency or cold braking than the Hawk HPS do. Too soon to comment on dusting vs OEM vs HPS, I'll update as use continues.

As of the last few days, the pads do let out a squeal when I back out of my parking spot in the morning. Only in the morning and only upon immediate-introductory braking, once that squeal is out of the way its all quiet throughout the remaining day.

My guess is that it might be related to morning moisture on the rotors/pads as we are still in that transition here on the East Coast, Mid-A region.
Well worth it for the added braking performance I have been experiencing.

Next up will be lines and fluid.

Name:  rotor-pads.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  150.3 KB
Name:  DSCF2117.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  117.4 KB
Name:  DSCF2119.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  99.0 KB

Everything was sourced via RockAuto (Centric Premium Sport Slotted rotors) and via ebay (GripForce for pads). Right around $500 after shipping cost.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:38 AM
ordinaryme

looking awesome!
Old 04-01-2010, 12:50 PM
03LeMans350zed

nice. rock auto is the chit
Old 06-22-2010, 10:17 AM
RRMikey

Thanks for the review. i am actually taking a half day off of work to change my rotor and pads to the exact same setup you have with the oem brembo.

i was kind of worried about these pads but from reading your review... i don't have any doubts now.

great review... thanks.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:04 PM
2000atlanticgt

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I installed SS lines and changed to good fluid a couple weeks ago and noticed my rotors were shot (well below min. thickness) so I ordered this exact same set-up from Concept Z Performance.

I have less than 100 miles on this set-up after bedding in the pads but I am very impressed with the initial bite that these pads have. So far mine have been completely silent not making any noise at all. I am very happy so far but I will see how they hold up at my first track day in August.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:30 AM
idrive_MD

I'd like to also note, that over time I have noticed the brake dust to decrease after the initial breakin period.

I am glad I was able to help you guys with your decision, hopefully you guys continue to be impressed. Like I mentioned about track use, they held up great, but I can see how on more powerful cars or heavier braking tracks that these pads might not stand up compared to racier compounds.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:10 AM
idrive_MD

I had this nice write up all ready to go, but when I hit submitt, it got lost. So here is this from the auto-x section:

So I managed to put some track abuse on my Stop Tech 309 pads (Street Performance series) on my OEM-Brembo equipped G35 coupe. I have to say I was highly impressed with them. I'll start by saying I def could have used a pad with some higher torque and initial bite, but for being street pads they did exceptionally well.

They never faded and pedal feel remained consistant from beginning to end. I was on track twice, pushing hard for 20-minutes each session. Weather was warm in the low 90's and very sunny. It was a 7-corner track with two straight aways ending into hard braking corners, especially the first straight into turn-1.

If there are any beginners out there or just seldom track visitors, I highly recommend this pad to people who want a great street pad that they can take and use on the track.

other brake mods for the day included Motul RBF-600 fluid, Fluid Transfer SS lines and Centric Slotted rotors. I was also on Hankook Ventus V12 Evo tires, which held up really well too.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:13 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I'll revive this thread because I'm in the market to replace my OEM Brembo pads. How is the dust level on these StopTech Street pads compared to OEM Brembo's? I'm basically looking to make a lateral move in performance and a decrease in dusting. Thanks!
Old 07-01-2011, 07:07 AM
idrive_MD

Originally Posted by sry110
I'll revive this thread because I'm in the market to replace my OEM Brembo pads. How is the dust level on these StopTech Street pads compared to OEM Brembo's? I'm basically looking to make a lateral move in performance and a decrease in dusting. Thanks!
Sorry for the late response. If that is what you are looking for then the StopTech Street Performance pads will do the trick. great price, great performance and lower than OEM dust levels. Just don't expect super low dust levels, but they are still lower than OEM.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:36 PM
2000atlanticgt

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree, lower than OEM dust levels.

After having these pads for right at a year now I also believe that on the street the initial bite is a little less (10% maybe) than that of the OEM Brembo pads. It is just enough difference that you will notice the reduced initial bite if you do any medium to hard braking on the street. They do perform better once you get a little heat in them. I have done two track days with these pads now (20-30 minute x 4 sessions each time) and they held up great with no fade. They did get really hot on the most recent track day, a little smoke coming off of the brakes once I pulled into the pits even after a cool down lap but they held up great. After the second track day I did notice a little bit of noise a couple times when backing out of my driving way and applying the brakes to come to a stop before taking off forwards. I really like these pads and have no plans to try anything else anytime soon.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:27 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I ended up getting these StopTech pads, and I'm actually also running the same Centric (Powerslot) rotors that the OP has. Dust levels are much lower than OEM Brembo pads in my opinion, and the dust also seems to be a lighter color than the OEM. Brake pedal feel actually firmed up a bit with these pads and I notice a little bit less initial bite, but the stopping power is still very good. I do not hear any unusual noise coming from these pads. So far I am pretty happy with my choice, especially at a fraction of the cost of the OEM Brembo pads.

The only thing I wasn't happy about was that I left my car parked outside for a few days and it rained a good bit, and when I eventually drove the car (in dry weather) I noticed that the pads left pad-shaped marks on all 4 rotors. I also noticed during that drive that when I got on the brakes pretty hard one time they almost felt like they seized up momentarily and jerked the car to a stop, then when I let off the pedal and tried again it stopped like normal. I'm wondering if maybe the marks on the rotors were from that hard stop?

Anyway, definitely happy with the product, so thank you guys for the reviews!
Old 07-19-2011, 07:45 AM
idrive_MD

I am glad everyone is having a good experience with these pads and/or rotors. I went from OEM to Hawk to ST, so my impression of OEM bite wasn't fresh enough. I just know that compared to the Hawk HPS pads the ST pads were a HUGE improvement on every level (except dust).

Thanks for the additional reviews guys, all well said with great information.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:12 AM
davide

I got the news today from my shop that I need new brakes and rotors all around. They priced centric OEM level rotors and pads at $1547 plus another $105 in taxes. Since I know them, they'd do the work for $1300.

OR, they agreed I could see what the Z fanatics use and source theatre myself and pay under $300 for them to install my parts. When I mentioned Hawk pads, they all said they were really noisy (these guys drive a variety of high performance cars).

This thread has me very interested in the centric slotted rotors and the pads mentioned above. I'm looking on the RI kauri site and I'm not sure which rotors I would order for a 2005 anniversary edition with stock Brembos and 18" wheels.

Any help would be appreciated. Same with a part number and source for the pads. I'm a total newb. I drive the Z as my daily driver, so low noise and dust are important. I'll be lucky if I get it on the track once.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2011, 07:39 AM
davide

Rock Auto does not have the Centric slotted rotors. They only have standard and drilled. They vas drilled AND slotted, but not for Brembos.

They do have the 309 pads for $46.99 in front and $39.79 in the rear. Good price?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2011, 11:03 AM
davide

More research done and some PM help received.

Conceptz will match rock auto's prices on the brake pads. Rotors for my 2005 with Brembos are $195 & $185 and that's plain, drilled, slotted or drilled AND slotted.

The guy at ConceptZ told me to choose the rotors based on looks as they'll all perform the same and last the same. Is this true? I guess I like the look of drilled and slotted. Looks cool. Any advice?

I read here that the Stop Tech Street Performance pads were lower dust and ConceptZ's web site says that. But the guy on the phone said they're very dusty and noisy and that Hawk HPS would be quiet and less dust, though not good on the track. Any thoughts on this? Seems to contradict what I've read here.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2011, 09:04 PM
soldierboy

I just replaced my 4 rotors n pads. The set up is the same as OP but my is nonBrembo. However, i bought my rotors n pads from A local vendor here in socal, rotorworks.com for the whole set up slot n drilled rotor gor 360.00 including stoptech pads. The rotors are made by Centric
Old 08-01-2011, 07:04 PM
davide

Originally Posted by soldierboy
I just replaced my 4 rotors n pads. The set up is the same as OP but my is nonBrembo. However, i bought my rotors n pads from A local vendor here in socal, rotorworks.com for the whole set up slot n drilled rotor gor 360.00 including stoptech pads. The rotors are made by Centric
Thanks. Do you have a working URL for the company? Your URL sent me to a helicopter flight school in Canada.

Thanks
Old 08-01-2011, 09:24 PM
soldierboy

Here is the website again, i am using i phone dont know how to copy n paste. Rotorwork.com No s. Or u can reach them at 7145547320 hope this will help
Old 08-01-2011, 09:31 PM
soldierboy

Davide. These guys price is negotiateable. U better off call them to negotiate the price if all four rotors n stoptech pads are over 360$. Cause i only paid 360 total.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:34 AM
davide

Originally Posted by soldierboy
Davide. These guys price is negotiateable. U better off call them to negotiate the price if all four rotors n stoptech pads are over 360$. Cause i only paid 360 total.

Thanks for the corrected url. The online price is way over $360. I'll try to give them a call. I'll have to add shipping too. Might go with Posiquiet brake pads but will search for them here first.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brembo-equipped, centric rotors and Stop-Tech Street pads review