Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

I feel like I'm getting robbed. $750 install??

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 04:41 PM
StillAlive2029

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Buy your own tools for about $100 and do it yourself.
I'm really starting to think about it. What tools would be necessary here? And the guy was talking about my hfc install and we were looking under it while on a lift, and he said there was a chance that they may break one of the rusted bolts holding the hfc on. This makes me nervous to do this myself, cuz what if that happened to me? I would have no way of fixing that. I have Jack stands already, but not much else. Davidv, no gun lol but not many choices where i am at. In fact only choice, so yea robbed by choice i guess lol. Im trying to find a way around that though. Let's make a tools lists needed.

1) floor Jack?
2) impact wrench?
3) torque wrench
4)??
Old 04-12-2010, 04:50 PM
haeshik

@ davidv
Old 04-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

pretty sure for one of the cat bolts you have to have a pretty long extension and a 2nd person to help you - gotta go in from above.

spray them with pb blaster the night beforehand and they should break loose fairly easily.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:56 PM
R350Zz33

Originally Posted by jimpactmfsc
in my area,
coilovers -$ 350
spc Front+Rear = $350
High Flow Cats - should be bout 1.5 hours labor? so we'll say $150

750 isnt to bad.; well it would depend on what shop is doing it to
it takes 45 mins on jack stands with hand tools how do u figure 1.5 hours give me a lift a full tool box and air tools i can do it in uder 30 mins
Old 04-12-2010, 08:37 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StillAlive2029
Also, I am going out to Cali ina couple of weeks, and I have been in the norcal forum area. But i haven't asked about this. Anyone from that area know of a place that could do this quickly and more cheaply? I would be happy with any area of norcal even.
Z Car Garage or bust. 408 452 0350.

I guess here is more like Georgia than miami or Cali. Any norcal people want to weigh in or make a recommendation for a shop or person to do this? Cuz I couldntotally wait if necessary to sa e a few hundred bucks
What is the hourly rate of the shop that quoted you $750? Cali rates are likely a bit higher, so even if the time is less, the rate is probably higher than Kansas. ZCG is about $100/hour.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:55 PM
gregtotheb

Originally Posted by MDHRZ
Then your chit would probably fall off going down the road . Gotta pay to play!

uhh. NO, im quite certain ive been modding longer than you, you dont need to pay an arm and a leg to get quality work done. you just have to know people. obviously YOU dont know anybody if youre paying that much to have your stuff installed.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:38 AM
MDHRZ

Originally Posted by gregtotheb
uhh. NO, im quite certain ive been modding longer than you, you dont need to pay an arm and a leg to get quality work done. you just have to know people. obviously YOU dont know anybody if youre paying that much to have your stuff installed.
I really don't give a fuck if you've been "modding" longer than me. That still doesn't mean you know what you are talking about . I live in Maryland, so of course I know of places to get work down. Hills Garage, Function Tuned, AAM, and PF Super Cars just to name a few. All within an hours driving distance and all of their rates are relatively the same. Maybe Pep Boys will do it for you for $300. $750 is a fair price. You get what you pay for.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:54 AM
AFD350Z

F..that...750??... not that that's unreasonable if its good work getting done and not some hack..but, my thinking, tell you what..buy all the tools you need, do it yourself, there'll be pride in doing it yourself and you'll have new tools in your collection for the future..or..make money later doing it cheap for someone else!

Last edited by AFD350Z; 04-13-2010 at 02:55 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:03 AM
MDHRZ

Originally Posted by AFD350Z
F..that...750??... not that that's unreasonable if its good work getting done and not some hack..but, my thinking, tell you what..buy all the tools you need, do it yourself, there'll be pride in doing it yourself and you'll have new tools in your collection for the future..or..make money later doing it cheap for someone else!
Exactly. Good work from reputable shops usually costs a little more. You can always do it cheaper yourself if you buys the tools and are willing to put forth the time and effort.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:39 AM
FATPUBUS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DIY! Its easy stuff to do.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:41 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That doesnt sound high at all for any average mechanic shop. If you have aproblem paying DIY
Old 04-13-2010, 04:02 AM
FATPUBUS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm really starting to think about it. What tools would be necessary here? And the guy was talking about my hfc install and we were looking under it while on a lift, and he said there was a chance that they may break one of the rusted bolts holding the hfc on. This makes me nervous to do this myself, cuz what if that happened to me? I would have no way of fixing that. I have Jack stands already, but not much else. Davidv, no gun lol but not many choices where i am at. In fact only choice, so yea robbed by choice i guess lol. Im trying to find a way around that though. Let's make a tools lists needed.

1) floor Jack?
2) impact wrench?
3) torque wrench
4)??
12, 14, and 17 mm sockets and wrenches...with lotsa extensions for the cats, floor jack is helpful too. And read the diy's here. You can knock it out in a day!
Old 04-13-2010, 05:05 AM
gregtotheb

I really don't give a fuck if you've been "modding" longer than me. That still doesn't mean you know what you are talking about . I live in Maryland, so of course I know of places to get work down. Hills Garage, Function Tuned, AAM, and PF Super Cars just to name a few. All within an hours driving distance and all of their rates are relatively the same. Maybe Pep Boys will do it for you for $300. $750 is a fair price. You get what you pay for.

sure youre right. and for the shops that you "know" you are just a regular consumer that they are willing to rip off. so stay retail minded and keep getting ripped off.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:55 AM
MDHRZ

sure youre right. and for the shops that you "know" you are just a regular consumer that they are willing to rip off. so stay retail minded and keep getting ripped off.
Yes, I'm getting ripped off just like the rest of the Mid-A region.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:00 AM
gregtotheb

Yes, I'm getting ripped off just like the rest of the Mid-A region.
Accepting it, is the first step. Good job!
Old 04-13-2010, 05:20 PM
StillAlive2029

1) floor Jack?
2) impact wrench?( don't need one right?)
3) torque wrench
4) 12,14,17 mm and extensions galore
5)Jack stands
6) PB blaster
7) anything else?

I went ahead and went up there today and picked up my stuff and am going to do it myself. God I hope that I do not regret this, but i am so excited. If there is any more pointers, they are all greatly appreciated and will all help very much and give for a better overall experience for me under my car!
Old 04-13-2010, 05:30 PM
MDHRZ

Accepting it, is the first step. Good job!
So what shop do you go to?
Old 04-13-2010, 06:59 PM
gregtotheb

So what shop do you go to?
come to socal, and ill show you around.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:34 PM
350junkie

1) floor Jack?
2) impact wrench?( don't need one right?)
3) torque wrench
4) 12,14,17 mm and extensions galore
5)Jack stands
6) PB blaster
7) anything else?

I went ahead and went up there today and picked up my stuff and am going to do it myself. God I hope that I do not regret this, but i am so excited. If there is any more pointers, they are all greatly appreciated and will all help very much and give for a better overall experience for me under my car!
glad to hear you're gonna do it yourself. Might want to add a 14mm end wrench to that list. I also don't know what you guys are talking about with these extensions either. I've dropped the exhaust/cats from the car in under 30 minutes. The cats really aren't that big of a deal. Just unbolt the Y-pipe from the rest of the exhaust to give you some extra play to get the cats unhooked and out.

and remember... patience is a virtue, and you'll probably skin a knuckle or three
Old 04-13-2010, 08:43 PM
deezz

Originally Posted by 350junkie
glad to hear you're gonna do it yourself. Might want to add a 14mm end wrench to that list. I also don't know what you guys are talking about with these extensions either. I've dropped the exhaust/cats from the car in under 30 minutes. The cats really aren't that big of a deal. Just unbolt the Y-pipe from the rest of the exhaust to give you some extra play to get the cats unhooked and out.

and remember... patience is a virtue, and you'll probably skin a knuckle or three
+1 on DIY. Might take you a while to complete everything, but the knowledge you will gain will be invaluable.

G/L with the install.

Quick Reply: I feel like I'm getting robbed. $750 install??