Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Coilover Decision

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

your rear is way softer than your front because Hotchkis springs are designed around 03-05 shocks. 06+ shocks are revised, and thus should use a different (stiffer) spring

body roll is really best controlled via aftermarket swaybars...which will compliment aftermarket coilovers very nicely

as for which coilovers, depends on your budget
Old 06-30-2010, 04:27 PM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the reply Adam.

I was told at the time I bought the springs that they were a new design specifically for 2006+ suspension. Was I sold a bill of goods?

I will consider aftermarket sways. In hindsight, suspension is one of the first things I should have tackled.

Probably looking to spend $1200 or less on coilovers. (I know I will need to spend a few hundred more on camber / toe kit for the rear.) I'm fully aware that this will not net me a top-of-the-line coilover kit, and I'm not expecting one. I just want something reliable with decent dampening and height adjustability. Also looking for something with rear adjustability (extenders I guess?) that is easy to access without tearing apart the strut bar cover in the trunk.

Got any recommendations?
Old 06-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Voboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^- the only thing he could recommend you in that price range (that isn't junk) is BC Racing (for its adjustably dampening). But do you really need the dampening? KW Variant 1/Eibach and Bilstein PSS could possibly be a better choice.

Last edited by Voboy; 06-30-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:31 PM
VQpoweredZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up the BC Racing BR Coilovers from Import Image Racing with an SPC camber kit for a pretty good price. Check it out if your looking for BC.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:18 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by VQpoweredZ
I picked up the BC Racing BR Coilovers from Import Image Racing with an SPC camber kit for a pretty good price. Check it out if your looking for BC.
Where in PA are you located? Would be awesome to see and test it out in person.

EDIT: Thanks for the Import Intelligence recommendation. Checked out the website and the price looks good! Nice how they bundle the camber kit with it, saves me some effort.

Last edited by sry110; 07-01-2010 at 05:20 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:06 AM
Project3fiftyZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on BC Racing coilovers with a rear camber kit.

I picked these up from Adam a few months ago and threw them on with some 19 TE37s and I have been happy. It sounds like you know what you are looking for in regards to adjustability/comfort/ride height. Next steps would be for you to find someone in your area with the setups you have in mind and take a ride to see for yourself how it is.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sry110
Thanks for the reply Adam.

I was told at the time I bought the springs that they were a new design specifically for 2006+ suspension. Was I sold a bill of goods?

I will consider aftermarket sways. In hindsight, suspension is one of the first things I should have tackled.

Probably looking to spend $1200 or less on coilovers. (I know I will need to spend a few hundred more on camber / toe kit for the rear.) I'm fully aware that this will not net me a top-of-the-line coilover kit, and I'm not expecting one. I just want something reliable with decent dampening and height adjustability. Also looking for something with rear adjustability (extenders I guess?) that is easy to access without tearing apart the strut bar cover in the trunk.

Got any recommendations?
Could just be that the seller was misinformed, who knows. Hotchkis only makes 1 type of 350Z spring, and it was for the 03-05 car

Bilstein is a few bucks more, but a worthwhile consideration for their ride quality. Will it slam the car? No - but it will get you as low as a Z realistically should be without having to re-engineer the wheel so-to-speak. They can also be adjusted at the bottom, so dampening changes are easy. Nothing under $2k has the street manners that they do, IMHO (having used just about everything out there at this point)

The BC is also worth considering at the price point. While they don't have the street manners of the Bilstein, they do ride reasonably well at the lower settings, and they have alot of height control, particularly with the optional rear springs. The damper extenders in the back make adjustments easy too

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 07-01-2010 at 11:12 AM.