Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Slammed yo! suspension pro's & hellaflush welcome

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:32 PM
zman_tony310

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slammed yo! suspension pro's & hellaflush welcome

So as the title states, I'm trying to get slammed yo! ... haha, but enough of that..
I have an 06 350z that I currently have riding on some Eibach sportlines with Tokico Blues. The ride height is a decent drop, but the ride quality is TERRIBLE!!! I recently purchased some nice wheels for the car and I want so switch to coilovers to try and achieve somewhat of that "hellaflush" look. So my question is... what is the best coilover available for the Z when it comes to comfort and getting that luxury feel. I am willing to loose some performance feel in order to achieve the amount of comfort I am looking for.
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! Thnx!
Old 09-17-2010, 06:42 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

search...

return to stock for comfort!
Old 09-17-2010, 06:46 PM
calin
Banned

I've used to have Sportline springs and now have coilovers. If you think the ride is rough with springs, just wait until you get coilovers.

And ya, SEARCH!!!
Old 09-18-2010, 04:33 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by calin
I've used to have Sportline springs and now have coilovers. If you think the ride is rough with springs, just wait until you get coilovers.

And ya, SEARCH!!!
Can't forget he wants to go lower too.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:07 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by calin

And ya, SEARCH!!!
I am going to go ahead and disagree with you on this one. A QUALITY coilover from a reputable company that makes something worth buying can be quite comfortable. The myth that all coilovers are harsh and bruise your kidneys come from people that buy Tein Basics or Megans and think these are quality units. Crap in, crap out.

I own a set of Bilstein PSS10 coilovers and, depending on the setting, they can be very comfortable. In fact, when set to a soft setting, they ride MILES better than stock ride. That's right, they perform better and ride better than OEMs. This isn't just my opinion. People have had these coilovers put on shock dynos and it's been confirmed that they do ride extremely well. Every review I have seen of these coils has nothing but high praise about the build quality, fitment and performance. They also do not have absurdly high spring rates to hide poor valving which makes them street friendly. But nothing is perfect: Bilstein isn't cheap, when installing, you have to reuse the stock top hats and it is widely believed that the top 5 stiffest settings are not really usable (that last one being debatable) and if you're after really slamming the car, these coils will not get you there. They go fairly low but I wouldn't call them slamtastic. They also have progressive springs in the rear which are not optimal for the track (that can be easily fixed by replacing the springs with linear springs).

To the OP, search around. The PSS10s are really well valved with good spring rates and are easily serviced in US. Another good candidate would be KW V1 or V2, depending on how much adjustability you're really after. I wouldn't go with V3 unless you really know how to set them and most people don't. But, before you proceed and start researching, set your budget. With coilovers, you can go cheap, $1K, and get a cheap ride or you can spend upwards of $3K and get something extraordinary. Good units start around $1.5K.

Finally, to be blunt, I question whether you can achieve a slammed ride that will be comfortable. Suspension needs travel to be able to absorb the road and when you slam the car, you really don't have much to work with. I think you will have to compromise either on the height or live with a relatively hard ride.

Last edited by Ziggyrama; 09-18-2010 at 06:10 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:36 AM
marques1

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want a slammed ride and still want comfort i believe you should buy an airbag suspension setup.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:22 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

^^^

answer...
Old 09-23-2010, 03:28 PM
microsteve40
Know it all

I don't know what the BEST coilover is for what you want, but I love my Zeal Function XS. I'm dumped and the ride quality is still decent. It's not stock quality, but it's also not jarring for most driving situations. There are some roads that my car feels pretty rough on, but chances are any sporty car is going to take a beating on some of these roads.

I'd suggest picking up a good quality coilover with a threaded base, so that you can go as low as you want to go. Many of the nice Z coilovers aren't set up to drop you to hellaflush levels, so make sure you get a setup that allows for that, if that's what you desire.

Here's a pic of my ride so you can see the height I'm at on the Zeals. This is 1.25" higher than I had it originally, so there's room to go lower...

Old 06-12-2013, 09:02 PM
JimmyJump

Maybe a dumb question but I still gotta ask. I got 20" rims on mine can I lower my vehicle over those and get it flush?
Old 06-12-2013, 09:20 PM
taryon

Originally Posted by JimmyJump
Maybe a dumb question but I still gotta ask. I got 20" rims on mine can I lower my vehicle over those and get it flush?
What are your wheel specs? Everything depends on offset/width
Old 06-13-2013, 07:04 AM
vex008

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Have PoweredByMax coilovers here and love them, it can lay the frame to the ground if wanted. Wife prefers how the car feels/drives now vs stock (that was a plus). So far everyone that has ridden shotgun has stated they were worried the car was going to feel too stiff and bouncy, going by the info I got from the Silva crowd that run PBM.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:53 AM
nismo4life11

Originally Posted by marques1
If you want a slammed ride and still want comfort i believe you should buy an airbag suspension setup.
Air is the best way to go for sure, I had ISC N1 coilovers to start they offered an amazing ride etc but the scraping everywhere gets old. I have a bag over coil setup right now which uses my ISC struts (so I still have my damper adjustments) and air bags replace the springs. It rides amazing still and I dont have to worry about crashing my lip and sub frame into the ground every where I drive. I'm working on a lil write up for "how to air". Nothing beats the stance of being airred out either (although im rebuilding my wheels wider now).
Attached Thumbnails Slammed yo! suspension pro's & hellaflush welcome-img_1785.jpg   Slammed yo! suspension pro's & hellaflush welcome-img_3914.jpg   Slammed yo! suspension pro's & hellaflush welcome-img_8605.jpg