Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

KW Coilovers review

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 05:21 AM
MSM Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KW Coilovers review

I finally got around to puttin on my new KW Variant 3 Coilovers this weekend. I wasn't able to begin the install due to the 8 inches of snow we recieved on friday night and saturday morning until sunday. My car had been stuck in a parking lot for the 2 days of snow...

So, first a review of the install:
Everything went together without a hitch. It took about 5hrs from start to end, including getting lunch and stopping to analyze everything and take pictures. If I had to do it again, I could probably do it in around 3 hours.

The new setup is much pretier than the stock pieces. All of the parts fit together perfectly. Even the rear perches for the spring have holes in the to fit around the centering pins in the upper mounts. This is really a quality piece.

Some pics of the completed install:

Now, review of the ride.

I cannot express enough how much these things rock. I don't have them finely tuned yet as there is still quite a bit of snow on the ground and it makes pushing the car a little scary. It rides over the potholes and bumps in the road just like the stock car. Maybe slightly stiffer. I have hit a few highway onramps at well above the posted speed limit and the car is much flatter than before. The body roll is greatly reduced.

I really can't compare this with any other coilover setup. It is a different breed all together. It rides great on the highway and over bumps and handles extremely well on the street. I can't wait until I can get it finely tuned for my needs.

My current setting:
Compression - still at factory KW setting
Rebound - 1 1/4 turn from full tight

Some good news on the side: I have worked out a deal with KW to setup a group buy. Look for it very soon..

Steve
MSM Racing
Old 12-08-2003, 08:00 AM
ZedZed

They really do look very very nice.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:09 AM
MSM Racing

The group buy is now up..

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=52797

Last edited by MSM Racing; 12-09-2003 at 05:12 AM.
Old 12-09-2003, 04:50 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oooooohhh nice!!
Old 12-09-2003, 09:48 PM
android123

nice, we have more choices now
Old 12-11-2003, 07:15 AM
MSM Racing

Also, I forgot to mention that these carry a Limited Lifetime Warranty...

really a sweet setup...
Old 12-12-2003, 02:03 PM
Tex Willer

oh... pretties...

I want those
Old 12-13-2003, 09:14 AM
Quick

Originally posted by Tex Willer
oh... pretties...

I want those

Well, If anybody wants a set, let me know and I can hook you up!

Steve
sales@msmracing.com
MSM Racing
Old 12-13-2003, 09:17 AM
MSM Racing

Ooops.. posted that from the wrong account..

Steve
MSM Racing
Old 12-14-2003, 12:39 AM
wakaZ

Default KW's

Had some on my 2001 Jetta IV Wolfsburg...very nice suspension

Great ride, not too harsh like other coilovers.

Getting rims first, how long will price/GB last?

Looking at the V3's
Old 12-14-2003, 07:07 AM
MSM Racing

Default Re: KW's

Originally posted by wakaZ
Had some on my 2001 Jetta IV Wolfsburg...very nice suspension

Great ride, not too harsh like other coilovers.

Getting rims first, how long will price/GB last?

Looking at the V3's
Well, the group buy closes Jan 10th. I'll have discounted pricing to retail after that though. ~1850 for the V3's.

I have the V3's on my car, and I love them. I can't say enough about these coilovers. I drive A LOT (~500miles a week), and they are awesome. I can't wait to get them to the track. All of the problems i had with the stock suspension are gone. No more highway bounce, and understeer is greatly reduced. I'll have a better feel for the understeer once i get it to the track though.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:46 AM
seanrulz

Any specs? It's fully adjustable coilver right? Height/Damping?
I'm looking for coilover setups for the spring season and was debating between JIC's and HKS Hypermax II but now I think I got another one to consider.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:31 AM
MSM Racing

Originally posted by seanrulz
Any specs? It's fully adjustable coilver right? Height/Damping?
I'm looking for coilover setups for the spring season and was debating between JIC's and HKS Hypermax II but now I think I got another one to consider.
They use a progressive rate spring at all 4 corners for a smooth street ride, but a very aggressive ride at the track.

Height, rebound, and compression are fully adjustable. The rebound has an infinite adjustability (no clicks, just a ****), and the compression is a 12 way adjustable type

Both rebound and compression are adjustable independently, unlike some other model coilovers.

They are valved with the adjutability affecting the low-speed damper range, which is what controls body roll and how a car feels when you really begin to push it. The high-speed damper setttings are factory pre-set for a better ride over the small undulations in the pavement. This results in the tire contacting the ground more for better handling, while also providing a decent ride for the street.

Honestly, these coilovers ride very similar to factory over the small bumps in the pavement, but the body roll is much improved over factory. They are more designed with the track in mind than the street. It just happens to work out (due to the progressive spring and near perfect high-speed dampening work by KW), that they perform extremely well on the street.

The V3's are hand built by KW's competition shop which is why it takes me 3 weeks to get them from germany if they don't have a set on the shelves for me.

Some other cool features are the INOX stainless steel bodies. These things will never rust, which is great for harsh winters. Also, they have a limited lifetime warrenty to the original purchaser.

Again, i can't speak highly enough of these coilovers. I would put them up against the JIC's anc HKS's any day of the week. They just perform that well.

I tell you what, if someone wants to get a set at a great discount to try them out, just so I'm not the only one raving about these things, PM me and I will try and hook you up with some special pricing...

Steve
MSM Racing

Last edited by MSM Racing; 12-14-2003 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:12 AM
MSM Racing

nobody interested eh?
Old 12-17-2003, 03:38 PM
seanrulz

I am!
Just talked to my friend back in Korea and he really admires how good KW is. He used to use Quantum for his Altezza (aka IS300) and he switched it to KW Variant 3 and loves it.
I didn't know much about KW but now I made my mind.
So is your "special pricing" still effective?
I'll send you a PM
Old 12-18-2003, 01:32 PM
Tom@KW

Hello everyone!

Glad to hear Steve’s positive experience. Just some points for everyone on the KW Suspension systems.

Each System is custom valved for the 350Z, we don’t use cross over systems here. Extensive in house, track and real world road testing produced valve tuning that is specific to these cars!

As Steve found out, the Stainless steel comes in handy for anyone who drives in any climate that isn’t California. Even in California, the stainless steel helps out. Dirt, road grime, and any salts have a very hard time sticking to stainless steel, making the system very easy to clean.

The best thing about KW is our tuning. Unlike most companies, we don’t just give you a harder shock and higher spring rate. We actually tune the high, mid, and slow speed dampening in the shock separately from each other. What this means to you is that a KW coilover will offer a great comfort level (high speed dampening) while also dramatically improving the handling of the vehicle. You can have the best of both worlds if the tuning is there!

If any of you have any questions for me, Ill do my best to answer them here.

Unfortunately I am leaving tomorrow night for our holiday season, and won’t be back in the office for 2 weeks. However if I am in front of a computer on vacation, Ill will do my best to stop by!
Old 12-18-2003, 01:38 PM
cobrasak

These KW's do sound interesting. What would be the best setup for a street daily driver with occaional track time. I am looking for the car to handle somewhat like an s2000. How do your system compair of the like of tien, jic, hks and nismo. So far it seem like a good option if the price is comitative. Oh ya how long and how hard is it to change the height and dampining?
Old 12-18-2003, 03:24 PM
Tom@KW

Cobrasak

What’s best for you is really personal preference and what you use the car for. If the car was just a daily driver, a variant 1 would be great. A variant 2 for anyone who wants to be able to adjust rebound is a great choice as well. However with the prices Steve is running right now, I would recommend a variant 3 for anyone who is serious about driving. The reason being that a variant 3 is really the ultimate solution for any vehicle that needs to be on the street and pull some track duty as well.

It is hard for me to compare us to Tein, JIC, or any other company out there as our tuning philosophies are all different. However I can give you some points about KW.

1) Separate slow, mid, and fast range tuning of the shock to give you great handling and ride comfort.
2) Inox Stainless Steel to combat any rust and corrosion.
3) Life Time warranty for any manufacturing defect.
4) Valved specifically for each vehicle application.
5) In house development and testing.

To change the height of these coilover, simply remove the wheel, and loosen off the set screw. Then turn the perch to the desired height, and replace the set screw. To change the dampening characteristics, rebound is on the top of the shock, while the compression is on the bottom. It’s extremely easy to do. Also the variant 3 comes with generalized instructions to set the dampening for daily driving.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:26 PM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are the springrates of the 3 different versions for front and rear?
Old 12-18-2003, 05:32 PM
Tom@KW

The spring rates are the same for each Variant, the difference is in the shock Tuning.

Because we tune in our shocks and not just our springs, we can let the suspension do its job. Instead of giving you a high spring rate and sacrificing drivability on the street, we give you a proper spring rate for the tuned shock to handle, and let the shock do it job, which is to control the springs compression and rebound movements.

With that being said the springs being used are a progressive spring. With a progressive rated spring, at each point of compression the rate changes. I will soon have a range listed for the springs, however in the end, spring rates don’t mean much without the proper shock tuning!

Quick Reply: KW Coilovers review