Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

bump steer and vibrating steering wheel questions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 02:10 PM
J 0 K 3 R

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so i took my car to precision z earlier today (great service) and they said my bushings are bad. he showed me the arm the bushing belonged to in one of their display cases and dont remember what arm it is. but apparently they want to switch them from the rubbery stock ones to poly bushings. also my alignment could still be off. they didnt have time to replace them today so i will be going back tomorrow.
Is it common for bad bushings to cause steering slop and high speed vibration?
Old 08-10-2011, 02:38 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by J 0 K 3 R
so i took my car to precision z earlier today (great service) and they said my bushings are bad. he showed me the arm the bushing belonged to in one of their display cases and dont remember what arm it is. but apparently they want to switch them from the rubbery stock ones to poly bushings. also my alignment could still be off. they didnt have time to replace them today so i will be going back tomorrow.
Is it common for bad bushings to cause steering slop and high speed vibration?
When a bushing takes a crap, you get play. Yes it is very possible. Whiteline bushings for the LCA are great, OEM or SPL for the radius arm. My car is running full SPL bushings and is overkill for the average street car.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:18 PM
J 0 K 3 R

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just got back from precision z. I had them do my alignment first to see if it would fix the vibration. on the drive home i hit the fwy and the car was more stable and had less vibration but its still kind of there when i hit a small bump or road flare.
my alignment before correction was perfect for the driver side front, the RF was -1.3 cam, 8.2 center, 0.11 toe. total toe was 0.15 and steer ahead was -.03.
now the FRONT total toe is 0.11 and steer ahead is 0.02.
Rear driverside was -1.5 cam and 0.15 toe. pas side -1.8 cam and -0.05 toe. with total toe of 0.10 and 0.10 thrust angle.
rear was corrected to -1.4 cam and 0.09 toe for both rears. total toe is now 0.18 and 0.00 thrust angle.
hows it look?

i think my wheels need to be balanced next. then i will do the bushings. i like to do the cheap repairs first to see if it eliminates the problem before i blow more cash.

lastly i guess its my compression rod bushings that are the ones that are almost shot.

Last edited by J 0 K 3 R; 08-11-2011 at 01:30 PM.