Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

tanabe coilover and rear upper seat.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 07:04 PM
wookieda

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tanabe coilover and rear upper seat.

i got a used tanabe coilover with no instruction. i just installed this tanabe sustec pro coilover over the weekend. the rear side comes with the aluminum upper seat... upon research, a lot of aftermarket coilover systems use the oem rubber upper seat and they are designed so that the upper seat will inserted into the aluminum upper seat with the coilover system..

now the problem is that my oem rubber upper seat will not be inserted into the aluminum upper seat that is with the coilover system.. i decided to simply remove the oem upper seat and use the aluminum seat.. car drives fine but occasionally i hear some grunting sounds from the back. so i am wondering if it is safe to remove the oem rubber upper seat?
Old 11-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It's perfectly safe, providing that you have enough preload on the spring to keep things tight no matter where the suspension might travel. But your going to give yourself a noticeable about of impact noise and harshness. Energy Suspension does make some parts you can use to sub for the oem upper seat. IMO, I would install them at the very least.

I do wish you would have posted pics of the Tanabe rear seats and the oem upper seats showing the problem. IIRC, you are supposted to be able to reuse the oem parts as part of the install.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:53 PM
wookieda

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
It's perfectly safe, providing that you have enough preload on the spring to keep things tight no matter where the suspension might travel. But your going to give yourself a noticeable about of impact noise and harshness. Energy Suspension does make some parts you can use to sub for the oem upper seat. IMO, I would install them at the very least.

I do wish you would have posted pics of the Tanabe rear seats and the oem upper seats showing the problem. IIRC, you are supposted to be able to reuse the oem parts as part of the install.
yeah the oem seat plain don't fit into the hole that is cut out in the aftermarket one. :P oh well i'm not going to worry about it haha, i just came across a pic of diff coil system where they incorporate the oem upper seat.

thanks for the input.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:04 AM
TheDangerZone

which model coilover do you have? Pro s-oc or Pro 5? maybe you should call them and see if you can get a set of instructions.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:14 AM
TheDangerZone

EDIT:double post

Last edited by TheDangerZone; 11-17-2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:44 AM
dvo

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

here you go
Attached Thumbnails tanabe coilover and rear upper seat.-tse5063-rear-assembly.jpg   tanabe coilover and rear upper seat.-tsc063-rear-assembly.jpg