Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Stance GR+ VS. BC coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 10:58 PM
andre81k

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I'm gonna splurge the extra hundred or two and get the KW V1, only thing ill be missin is the adjustable dampening which is no biggy.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by andre81k
I think I'm gonna splurge the extra hundred or two and get the KW V1, only thing ill be missin is the adjustable dampening which is no biggy.
I think it's a better product, especially in light of what your goals are. However, a 2" drop isn't possible. The max drop is 1.5"

http://kw-store.com/products/complet...ssan-350z.html
Old 12-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2TH PWR
You seem to know a lot about coilovers... what track ready true coilovers are known to be good?
Truechoice Phase IV
Anze enginerring Penske 8100 (sold as rebound adjustable, canisters can be added to make them double adjustable).

AST 4100 setup worries because their published oem spring rate data is wrong. Hopefully that didn't mess things up when R&D was finished.

Not a coilover setup but Koni 8212LB shocks with Nissan Motorsport T2 springs would be another good choice.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:02 PM
sry110

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure if this will help, but: I bought BC BR series (OEM-type) coilovers and installed them this past summer. I decided that since it was my first ever set of aftermarket coilovers for any car I've ever owned, i.e. I had no real basis for comparison, that I would go the "budget" route and BC BR series fit the bill. Following are my thoughts:

Pros:
* Workmanship of the product appeared to be good out of the box
* $1100 price point
* Easy installation due to the front springs coming already installed on the struts (some aftermarket systems require re-use of the stock front upper strut perch, which requires compressing and removing the springs from the struts)
* Easy height adjustment
* No unusual clunking or other odd sounds following installation
* Decent range of height adjustment

Cons:
* 30-way settings just means it's easier to lose count when you're trying to get to the same number of clicks side-to-side. And there is very miniscule difference from click to click. They should have gone with 5 or 6 total clicks like some of the higher-end coilover systems
* I feel that the springs might be a bit too soft for the dampers, in that when I have the dampers set toward the soft end I feel like the car is going to crash down through the earth every time I hit a small dip in the road. On the other hand, when I set the dampers toward the stiff side they don't seem to rebound fast enough when I hit bumps so the car feels like it briefly loses contact with the road after hitting said bump.

Bottom line, IMO these are not a performance-oriented coilover. I think handling was just as good, if not better, with my OEM struts and Hotchkis springs. I don't track my car at all, but I doubt these would help me get around the circuit any more quickly. If you want a cost-effective way to make your car look better vis a vis lowering it, BC BR series is a good solution.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Scrodes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2TH PWR
I am not an expert, but from my own extensive research, if you plan on doing any motorsports, you will probably want to go with the true style as it allows you to eliminate the spring bucket and place an adjustable toe arm in it's place.
This is the reason I chose to go with a 'true' style. I went with Ksports and I'm happy with them.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:09 PM
sry110

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrodes
This is the reason I chose to go with a 'true' style. I went with Ksports and I'm happy with them.
Another benefit of having a true type coilover with adjustable toe arm in place of the spring bucket is that you don't have to mess around with elongating the stock toe bolt hole in the subframe to accommodate an aftermarket toe bolt.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:33 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by sry110
Another benefit of having a true type coilover with adjustable toe arm in place of the spring bucket is that you don't have to mess around with elongating the stock toe bolt hole in the subframe to accommodate an aftermarket toe bolt.
This takes car of the problem , if it wasn't backordered for 3 months at the time i was buying my setup , i would have them.

http://www.splparts.com/chassis-Z33.html#SPLRMLZ33
Old 12-07-2011, 01:33 PM
Neimad

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are great but have killed all desire to drive my car on the street. The spring with more preload makes way too much noise. I'm thinking about machining a bunch of eccentric lock-out squares with offset holes for a simpler solution to toe.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Scrodes

Originally Posted by terrasmak
This takes car of the problem , if it wasn't backordered for 3 months at the time i was buying my setup , i would have them.

http://www.splparts.com/chassis-Z33.html#SPLRMLZ33
I was never a fan of this part, just seems like you're spending a ton of money for no real gain - over buying try style and adjustable arms I mean. It costs more to go OEM style with that SPL arm than to go true style with adjustable arms and lockout bolt.

IIRC
Old 12-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Neimad

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those nuts on the upper damper mounts are tiny, I didn't want the spring there unless its reinforced.

Also,

"Separation of the springs from the shock absorbers resulted in 60 percent less friction in the residual moment, which means the suspension could react faster to road inputs"

They also say it gave more luggage space but that has to be complete BS with strut bar there.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:33 PM
SE5spd

Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Truechoice Phase IV
Anze enginerring Penske 8100 (sold as rebound adjustable, canisters can be added to make them double adjustable).

AST 4100 setup worries because their published oem spring rate data is wrong. Hopefully that didn't mess things up when R&D was finished.

Not a coilover setup but Koni 8212LB shocks with Nissan Motorsport T2 springs would be another good choice.
I would love to have any of these setups
Old 12-09-2011, 07:39 AM
brandon3434

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are so many people in this thread that just say "Go with this coilover, or go with that...bla bla bal" without any experience or knowledge at all...

I've only had a chance to ride in a car with BC and they were okay, the car was slammed and it was kind of bouncy, but I own stance, and track my car quite often and I am very impressed. Here is a review that I did on stance coilovers with some pics:

https://my350z.com/forum/8941779-post28.html

Hope that helped some, based of my experience. Feel free to PM me any questions.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:58 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

I've ran BC coilovers on the dyno, and have seen dyno plots of Stance stuff from a trusted source... BC performs much better. I'd check out Fortune Auto personally.

Ride comfort is so subjective and very dependent on installation that it's just about impossible to judge coilovers based on that alone. Until you've verified the installation and spring rates and have driven both cars to the limit in similar conditions you can't really make a solid judgement. Shock dynos don't lie, though.

Last edited by Vivid Racing; 12-09-2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:22 AM
brandon3434

I'd be interested in seeing those dyno's if they were available. Also, yeah, i was VERY impressed with fortune auto. They are worth trying out for sure.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Scrodes

Originally Posted by brandon3434
There are so many people in this thread that just say "Go with this coilover, or go with that...bla bla bal" without any experience or knowledge at all...

I've only had a chance to ride in a car with BC and they were okay, the car was slammed and it was kind of bouncy, but I own stance, and track my car quite often and I am very impressed. Here is a review that I did on stance coilovers with some pics:

https://my350z.com/forum/8941779-post28.html

Hope that helped some, based of my experience. Feel free to PM me any questions.
Sorry I thought I had made the same point about eliminating the spring bucket and having lockout bolts with adjustable toe arms for less than an OEM style with a new midlink.

Your car looks good, nicely polished paint too bro
Old 12-09-2011, 08:48 AM
06g35meister

Originally Posted by sry110
Bottom line, IMO these are not a performance-oriented coilover. I think handling was just as good, if not better, with my OEM struts and Hotchkis springs. I don't track my car at all, but I doubt these would help me get around the circuit any more quickly. If you want a cost-effective way to make your car look better vis a vis lowering it, BC BR series is a good solution.
I disagree strongly. I am at 12k/10k springs (probaby part of your problem not doing research on the springrate for your driving style) with 12 clicks in back and 20 in front. The clicks were pronounced and not hard to count (i went from 32 to 20 and from 1 to 12) Overall I am STUNNED at the transformation of my car... I am taking turns significantly faster and there is no noticeable body roll in the car anymore.

My only complaint is that they dont go a BIT lower. I would love to be able to tuck rim in the front.

Last edited by 06g35meister; 12-09-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:18 AM
brandon3434

Originally Posted by Scrodes
Sorry I thought I had made the same point about eliminating the spring bucket and having lockout bolts with adjustable toe arms for less than an OEM style with a new midlink.

Your car looks good, nicely polished paint too bro
Thank you sir, and yeah I wasn't bashing everyone who posted in this thread, because some know a lot more than me, but I saw a few comments like "Go with this brand" then not saying anything else.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:23 AM
Scrodes

Originally Posted by brandon3434
Thank you sir, and yeah I wasn't bashing everyone who posted in this thread, because some know a lot more than me, but I saw a few comments like "Go with this brand" then not saying anything else.
LOL quoted for truth - I found this to be the most frustrating part of trying to choose my suspension setup, everyone has an opinion, but few take the time to explain why.

Honestly - as much as I like the guy and don't want him harassed and should probably just leave his name out of it, Jason Z-ya was a wealth of information and his Suspension 101 thread is a must read from front to back before investing a cent.

I hope I didn't just fill his inbox lol.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:30 AM
brandon3434

Yeah, Jason is a suspension genius. He knows a lot, and his parts are top notch.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:45 AM
03threefiftyz
350Z-holic

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 06g35meister
I disagree strongly. I am at 12k/10k springs (probaby part of your problem not doing research on the springrate for your driving style) with 12 clicks in back and 20 in front. The clicks were pronounced and not hard to count (i went from 32 to 20 and from 1 to 12) Overall I am STUNNED at the transformation of my car... I am taking turns significantly faster and there is no noticeable body roll in the car anymore.

My only complaint is that they dont go a BIT lower. I would love to be able to tuck rim in the front.
It would really boggle your mind then if you put real shocks on your car then....

Quick Reply: Stance GR+ VS. BC coilovers