Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Are my front springs bad (or lowered springs)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 10:05 PM
sage_lee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are my front springs bad (or lowered springs)

So for a while I've often thought my front springs might be bad, or lowered springs. The reasoning for this is the front often rode so much lower than the back, even on factory wheels.

Now that I have aftermarket wheels I'm leaning even more towards that as a possibility. with 19's and 35 tire profile the front is hella flush. Like i can't even fit a finger in there (i'll attach pics) and the back is just perfect. about an inch of wheel gap.

Is there any way for me to tell if the previous owner put lowering springs, or anything else that will tell me if the front springs are just shot.
also there appears to be no difference in height between the left and right side, and i can't tell any abnormal bounce or vibration in the springs, other than I rub often with 19" wheels, +22 offset and 275/35r19 tires. ALthough those are really wide fronts, its more so how flush they are that is the problem and from what i've seen of otehr z's on oem springs, they have about an inch of wheel gap.

as you can see in the pic even the oem wheels seem to have a lot less gap than straight factory

thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails Are my front springs bad (or lowered springs)-img_0817.jpg   Are my front springs bad (or lowered springs)-img_0786.jpg   Are my front springs bad (or lowered springs)-img_0788.jpg  
Old 05-21-2017, 05:39 AM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by sage_lee
Is there any way for me to tell if the previous owner put lowering springs, or anything else that will tell me if the front springs are just shot.
Yes. Wipe the spring off. If the springs are any other color than black, you probably have aftermarket springs. If they are a shiny painted texture, you probably have aftermarket springs. If they are still OEM, which looks unlikely, they should be black with yellow and red dots somewhere on the springs IIRC.

Originally Posted by sage_lee
also there appears to be no difference in height between the left and right side, and i can't tell any abnormal bounce or vibration in the springs, other than I rub often with 19" wheels, +22 offset and 275/35r19 tires. ALthough those are really wide fronts, its more so how flush they are that is the problem and from what i've seen of otehr z's on oem springs, they have about an inch of wheel gap.
What you're referring to by the rear being higher than the front is rake. Z33s came with rake from the factory. Some aftermarket springs retained the factory rake and some others eliminated by lowering the rear more to be even with the front. If you say your ride quality is still good then there's likely nothing wrong with your springs.

If you want to lower the rear of your car more to even out with the front then research the "spring mount mod," it's a cheap DIY method
Old 05-21-2017, 07:48 AM
HCO_surfer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The front will have less gap than the rear as this is how it is with stock springs.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:54 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

When you apply the full torque of the VQ35 to the ground the car will even out
Old 05-22-2017, 05:24 PM
sage_lee

haha ok thanks. Still feel like the gap is just insanely small in the front though
Old 05-23-2017, 06:17 AM
iideadeyeii

You could do the rear cup mod(not sure if that's what it's called) to drop it like half an inch
Old 05-24-2017, 10:13 AM
Swaglife81

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
You could do the rear cup mod(not sure if that's what it's called) to drop it like half an inch
+1 on this. If it's only a half inch or so difference this is what I advise to do.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:23 PM
sage_lee

It is oem springs in the front with the red dot. But the rubber/plastic cover that goes inside the actual spring is torn completely off and free hanging
Old 05-25-2017, 03:07 PM
sage_lee

I'm going to do the spring cup mod next weekend. Looking forward to seeing it evened out. Currently have .5" of wheel gap in the front and 2.5" in the rear, cant wait to see that drop to 1.5-1.75"
Old 05-26-2017, 05:41 AM
iideadeyeii

You could also re-locate battery to the trunk which would bring ~35lbs from front to rear...might not do much but everything helps.

Do you still have factory spare/tools in the back?
Old 05-26-2017, 08:01 AM
sage_lee

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
You could also re-locate battery to the trunk which would bring ~35lbs from front to rear...might not do much but everything helps.

Do you still have factory spare/tools in the back?
lol I need what trunk space I have.
I do still have the tools, but I'm about to remove the spare for weight savings. (my wheels wont fit in the trunk if I have a flat anyways. And I can have my wife bring me the spare if I ever need)