Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes sticking without pedal depressed

Old 08-20-2017, 11:34 AM
papa_dragon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes sticking without pedal depressed

Been searching the forums and diff people have diff situations with their brakes so I'll just post up and see if anyone has any suggestions for my particular issue.

I have a base model '06 350z with 6speed manual (revup).

So after a short drive, maybe 20 min or so, I noticed as I slowed down at a light it seemed like my brakes would stay engaged. At the next light I slowed down and let off the brake and the car slowed to a complete stop on its own. Seemed to start driving again normally but when I would slow, the brakes would stay engaged when I would let off the brake pedal.
I changed the fluid and bled the brakes. All seemed well for a while. Now the issue is starting up again. Drove to a friends. On the way home noticed the brake seemed to stick again. When I got home I parked in my driveway which is at a decline. Pressed the clutch in (left it in neutral) and let off the brake and it didn't roll back. Put in reverse and rolled it back a little then let off gas and it stopped itself. Didn't use brake pedal at all. Parked car in garage and got out and it smelled like all four brakes were burning up. So it doesn't seem like just one corner.
Now someone told me that the position of the brake lines or something come close to the headers and could cause the fluid to boil easily.
Many other suggestions what this sounds like? Solutions?
Also already changed the pads and rotors but that was before the fluid change.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:45 PM
dcains

Received 428 Likes on 338 Posts

Could be sticking pistons, could be the caliper is hanging on the guide pins. Take it apart and clean/lubricate as needed. As for the brake lines and the headers, I don't think that's the issue, as if the fluid gets too hot it boils (as you mentioned), but you get a spongy pedal in that case. Flex hoses, if the original rubber, can sometimes delaminate internally and act as a one-way valve, so that's another thing to check.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:32 PM
papa_dragon

Originally Posted by dcains View Post
Could be sticking pistons, could be the caliper is hanging on the guide pins. Take it apart and clean/lubricate as needed. As for the brake lines and the headers, I don't think that's the issue, as if the fluid gets too hot it boils (as you mentioned), but you get a spongy pedal in that case. Flex hoses, if the original rubber, can sometimes delaminate internally and act as a one-way valve, so that's another thing to check.
Thanks dcains. Ill check the calipers first. Didn't think that would be it since it isn't likely they would all be failing at the same time but, def worth checking out in case and cleaning and lubing them up.
May change the lines to steel braided as well. Miles are getting up there so prob good idea to do this anyway.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:57 PM
dcains

Received 428 Likes on 338 Posts

How do you know it's all the brakes? You'd feel it even if just one was dragging, and the way to tell is to look for one that's hotter than the others. Use one of those IR/laser thermometers, or your fingers, very carefully. If you're swapping calipers or brake lines, I would caution you to be extremely careful to not let the system run dry. If you do, you'll be in for a world of hurt trying to ever get all the air out of the system again.
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (08-21-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 10:15 AM
BlackTopRacing

How many miles are on your Z? To see if it's all 4 wheels or just one, jack the car up and turn the wheels by hand. If all 4 are difficult to turn, I highly doubt the problem is in the calipers, it would more than likely be a master cylinder problem. If it's just one, you probably have a stuck piston in the caliper.

When was the last time you had a brake job done?
Old 08-24-2017, 05:43 PM
papa_dragon

Originally Posted by BlackTopRacing View Post
How many miles are on your Z? To see if it's all 4 wheels or just one, jack the car up and turn the wheels by hand. If all 4 are difficult to turn, I highly doubt the problem is in the calipers, it would more than likely be a master cylinder problem. If it's just one, you probably have a stuck piston in the caliper.

When was the last time you had a brake job done?
Just broke 100k. Did rotors, pads and fluid at about 85-90k. I'll try that method you suggested turning the wheels and go from there.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:11 AM
BlackTopRacing

Originally Posted by papa_dragon View Post
Just broke 100k. Did rotors, pads and fluid at about 85-90k. I'll try that method you suggested turning the wheels and go from there.
You're due for a brake change, so it is a possible pad/rotor problem. Let me know the results!
Old 09-06-2017, 10:06 AM
Desert Z

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds like the Master cylinder. If you take it apart the piston is most likely corroded. Alternatively, some people experience the infamous clutch pedal sticking our cars are known for because of this issue.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: