Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

What's the latest Suspension / Tires combo out there?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 08:33 AM
alpine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the latest Suspension / Tires combo out there?

I have been leaning towards the Nitto 555 series, on my Stock Rays on my Track Edition Z....

I'm trying to get the best of both worlds, traction and durability, I know I'm giving up something on durability for traction, so no need to explain that, I just don't want to go through tires in 3 months for traction. (aside from track time/issues).

Also of course is the dreaded suspension delima. I can solve the whole thing with Tein EDFC, but sheesh 2K, and after my system install, I'm a little short so I'll either have to wait, or find something reasonable to play on because this stock suspension is starting to get to me, specially on the track.

I've been told if I change just the springs, my shocks are going to go in a few months.

I'm not looking to slam my car, I'd like to drop it 1/2 inch, not more than 1 inch if I have to.

Please let me know what's been made available, and if you have it, and what other experiences you may have had with them or other products.

if was going to do springs only, I was leaning towards the eibachs.

And or course, let me know what's up with tires.

Thanks again,
Old 10-05-2004, 08:11 AM
alpine

bump.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:13 AM
alpine

Originally posted by alpine
bump.
Ok so I have the nitto 555 tires.

They were doing well until the last track outting.

Now I realize they aren't going to hold up under more technical circumstances under speed.

Yes I currently have street compund on, although they did well at
streets and Big Willow, they failed at Buttonwillow.

So Any input on Nitto Racing Compound?

Also I am now i need of suspension.

Looking for OWNER INPUT ONLY please.

thank you!
Old 10-05-2004, 08:22 AM
daveh

My experience is that you can't have the best of both worlds in one setup. If you are melting your street tires on the track you have to either alter your driving or move up to r-compunds. I switch tires and brakes for every track event that I do. Maybe I do have the best of both worlds..
Old 10-05-2004, 08:28 AM
alpine

Originally posted by daveh
My experience is that you can't have the best of both worlds in one setup. If you are melting your street tires on the track you have to either alter your driving or move up to r-compunds. I switch tires and brakes for every track event that I do. Maybe I do have the best of both worlds..
I forgot to update that portion of my request.

I am now going to be setting up a track set of tires, so yes I am planning on switching out wheel/tires for track time.

I also already know that this will required R compounds in these conditons of more technical turns with more speed.

You can accomplish the best of both worlds on various components however I have learned you can't do that with tires under these conditions.

As previousl mentioned elsewhere, they did well on Streets (lacks speed) and very well on Big Willow (lacks tecnical turns).

Combine these two scenarios, and these tires failed.

thanks, I'll keep my eye out for your input. I'm also re-looking into suspension.

thanks again
Old 10-05-2004, 10:18 AM
daveh

Once you upgrade your tires, the snowball effect begins. Your next step MUST be dedicated track brake pads. Not sure if you're running brembos or base brakes, but either way you will melt the stock pads.
Again with suspension. You can't truly have the best of both worlds. There is no suspension that offers enough adjustment to truly go from a comfortable street setup to a competative track setup. You can find some that are good compromises though. I still have yet upgrade the Z's suspension (I don't find it all that bad as a street/track setup) because I haven't found one yet that I think is truly track worthy in my price range. In my opinion most of the options out there are more geared for street use. Sway bars might be a good start to dial out some understeer.

Last edited by daveh; 10-05-2004 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:29 PM
alpine

Originally posted by daveh
Once you upgrade your tires, the snowball effect begins. Your next step MUST be dedicated track brake pads. Not sure if you're running brembos or base brakes, but either way you will melt the stock pads.
Again with suspension. You can't truly have the best of both worlds. There is no suspension that offers enough adjustment to truly go from a comfortable street setup to a competative track setup. You can find some that are good compromises though. I still have yet upgrade the Z's suspension (I don't find it all that bad as a street/track setup) because I haven't found one yet that I think is truly track worthy in my price range. In my opinion most of the options out there are more geared for street use. Sway bars might be a good start to dial out some understeer.
I hear ya on the snowball affect.

I currently have the brembo brakes, with stock pads. I had 16K on my car street use, and I had about 20% left on the fronts and 10% or so on the back. I had VDC off most of the time, so I assume if I had it on, I would have NO rears.

In 200 miles, of Big willow, i went through the rest, had a brake job the next day.

I essentially planned for that, but I didn't know how bad it would be. As I didn't plan to get back to the track anytime soon, I wne ahead and did stock pads again.

The bitched and complained about the "hot spots" on the rotors, but oh well.

I haven't had the pleasure of working with these brakes first hand myself, how long would it take to swap out pads?

What pads are you using/recommending with the brembo kit?

Sway bars are defintely on the list. I don't mind the understeer, I make it up for it usually, and I'll take that Vs. oversteer any day.