Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

tein basics --??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 07:46 AM
jkoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tein basics --??

guys, i'm wondering what you guys think about the tein basic coilovers..?

i know it is the low end coilover from tein but is it WORSE than stock (the handling)?
Old 06-24-2004, 07:55 AM
SH22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ride is pretty much the same on my G35 Coupe after installed Tein Basic, or maybe a bit stiffer. Handling wise is great, definitely much better than stock. The only issue for me is the height adjustment....I have to drive the car in winter time, so I need a set of coilover that can go back to stock height. But the highest setting on the front for G35 coupe still 0.7" lower. So I just can't drive with it with my INGS front lip in winter(gonna be a snowplow for sure).
Old 06-24-2004, 08:10 AM
jkoc

thanks.. that does suck , that the highest setting is not stock height.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:24 AM
SH22

According to Tein webpage, for 350Z, you can go back to stock height with Tein Basic....
Old 06-24-2004, 11:04 AM
KraftG35

SH22 - Do you have pics of your G? The reason I ask is because I was thinking of getting the Tein Basics and the INGS+1 lip but for my own G but I have to drive mine in the winter as well. Plus, I just like looking at other modified G's.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:36 AM
jkoc

stupid question,

what is involved in changing the ride height? do u just jack it up, take the wheels off, adjust it using some special tool? also how do you know how much to "adjust while the car is jacked up (ie: are there special markings that guide you to know how much youre lowering?)
Old 06-24-2004, 12:39 PM
SH22

Yes, just jack it up, remove the wheels, and adjust the height using the tools. And about the height...it's kind of "trial and error" testing....
Old 06-24-2004, 01:08 PM
jkoc

hmm that sucks... so you have to "guess" and then put the car down and "visually" inspect if the height on either sides are the same? if not, yo uhave to jack it back up and redo? that is tedious!
Old 06-24-2004, 02:03 PM
SH22

Well, that's the case for all coilover....
Old 06-25-2004, 04:24 AM
jkoc

oh i always thought there were guides on the threads or something that helps you
Old 06-25-2004, 06:14 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: tein basics --??

Originally posted by jkoc
guys, i'm wondering what you guys think about the tein basic coilovers..?

i know it is the low end coilover from tein but is it WORSE than stock (the handling)?
Zillinois, when asked to give a review of his Tein Basic's

"Got a chance to drive more today."

1. You can initiate a corner at a higher rate of speed than oem. Push is gone, yeah!!

2. Weight transfer is crisper and faster than oem with less body movement. Upon hard acceleration out of corners and on straights, the car squats a very small amount and hooks up in a very predictable manner.

3. Driving normally, very little difference in dampening is felt. But the car recovers more quickly from bumps. The damping in corners is much better than oem. Corrections are easy and quiet (quiet as in steering input).

4. You can accelerate out of the corner sooner. Errors at the apex or after turn-in no longer result in drastic snap to oversteer but respond to the steering input. The feedback and adjustment cycle is completed quickly with much less input and body movement than oem. If you enjoy sliding around corners, as I do sometimes, you will really enjoy the basics.

5. The Basic also holds the road better in uneven corners. The factory setup would tend to "feel" squirrely on uneven corners and the basics keep the tires on the ground better.

The only thing I don't like is that it such a subtle improvement. It only helps were it matters. But, I think it was money well spent. A definite improvement over oem in every respect. Problem 2; Now I have to learn how to exit a corner faster. :-(

I'm not sure I understand dampening rates well enough to make changes yet. So the basics were perfect for me. I have my first "real" track day in one week. So, I'll report back then. BTW, I have a 1" drop all the way around. Also, I've done some Autox with the factory setup and I can't wait to try this out.

END
Old 06-25-2004, 06:27 PM
jkoc

awesome thanks