Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Tein Basic vs. Koni/Tein combo

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 08:36 PM
wren57
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein Basic vs. Koni/Tein combo

I'm wondering how the Tein Basic would compare to the koni/tein s-tech combo. What are the pros/cons of each? Does the Tein Basic improve ride any?
Old 07-07-2004, 10:06 PM
bobowah

Tein Basics are a coilover. So you will be able to adjust the height of the car. However the "damper ie the shock" is not adjustable.

Tein S-Tech and Koni Shock... You have a set height b/c the springs are built for ~0.7-1.0 drop. There is not adjustability there. The Koni shocks do have dampening control but difficult to set for the rear.

You are comparing to totally different things here... First question is what are you after?

If you want a good setup for the track then I would recommend the Tein Flex with EDFC or HKS HiperMax2 or any of the high end coilovers. Because you get high adjustability and dampening adjustability.

If you are looking for something more streetable but want to slam your car... the TEIN basics are the best coilover for the price.

Tein S-tech and Koni shocks are nice b/c the koni shocks are good street and occasional track setup. However adjusting the rear shocks requires taking out the whole rear suspension.

PM or email me if you are looking for pricing.

-Jeff
Old 07-08-2004, 12:08 AM
nuff

Correction, you don't need to take out the rear suspension to adjust Konis, you don't even need to take tires off to do it. But you will need to raise the rear of the car on jacks. It takes me about 5-10min from start to end to adjust it, this includes raising and lowering the rear end.

Also the Konis have adjustible rebound, not dampening.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:10 AM
leemik
!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got a set of Tein Basics installed for my car and they are great! I’ve only had them for 100 miles but it seems to ride like stock except no bounce.. I ended up with a .5 inch drop in front and .75 inch drop in the rear.. I could drop it more but the car is my daily driver and I like my front bumper as unscraped as possible Even with this minimal drop, the car does look like it has a more aggressive stance..

Turn in is quicker.. and the car seems stiffer in terms of weight transfer… I also added a set of Hotchkis sways and the body roll has been all but eliminated.. I’m very happy with this combination for the street.. I’m sure it’ll do fine for “amateur” track use as well because this combo sure handles noticibly better than stock

--mike

Last edited by leemik; 07-08-2004 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:39 PM
little_rod

Well, the Tein is cheaper and it was produced as a unit. Now the Konis are better shocks, but the Teins have been tested together. Which would you rather have, rebound control or height control??
Old 07-09-2004, 11:52 AM
zxsaint
Fairlady Stalker

Another key difference... spring rate for the s-techs is ~400 while for the basic it's ~500
Old 07-12-2004, 06:42 PM
2004 Roadster

Tein Basic? Koni/tein s-tech combo?

Where do you go to have changes like this made to your Z? I'll be honest, I know nohing about mods, but love how everyone has improved their cars.

Based on what I have seen. I want a set of Volk GT-C's and I want my car lowered. If I go to the local tire dealer/Auto mechanic, will they understand what I want. Or will this have to be done by a specialty shop.

I know it is hard to answer a question when you don't know my town, but hoping someone can shed some light.
Old 07-12-2004, 06:47 PM
wren57
Banned

I believe there is a group in SC called the "Columbia Boys". They should be able to help you with your specific needs. Personally I would do the suspension work myself as it is not that difficult to do if you are willing to sweat and get a little greasy to save some money. Always remember to hang out with girls while you are working on the car so they get to see how manly you are.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:31 PM
2004 Roadster

Right!

Cool Car = Hot Chicks

Now if I can just figure out some way to get my wife and kids to stay in the house while I make manly with the babes.

Now, if there are any Columbia Boys out there, please PM me and let me know when you are getting together with the Columbia Girls.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:39 PM
wren57
Banned

Thats the funniest thing I've read all day... thanks.
Old 07-13-2004, 06:16 PM
2004 Roadster

Just found the Columbia Boyz, but they are in Columbia, Maryland.

I did find a local shop today and they can get the Volk GT-C's I want as well as perform other minor adds and adjustments. Gave me a price of $2,340 for the rims, but those will have to wait until after Christmas.