Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

Possible Hotchkis Sway Bar fix

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 01:26 PM
350zluvr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 2004z
Can anyone recommend any type of grease that's readily available in stores?
If you have Hotchkis sways just call them at the number listed in my first post in this thread for free grease. If you don't have Hotchkis, then the grease is supposed to be white in color and as thick as possible. The grease is also supposed to be non-lithium based.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:15 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

The slip rings aren't expensive and I will buy them but this is something Hotchkis should be offering to all those that have their sways. As much suspension design as they do they should have caught this.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:28 PM
rolling

try a grease that truckers mechanics use on the 5th wheel! hehe its impossible to get off as it was designed to be used in wet and very dirty conditions and all while under 50,000 lbs of pressure! obviously heh
and probably easier to get too!
good luck!
Old 10-04-2004, 09:59 PM
protocav

the sways are hooked to the lower a arms and not the spindles. turning the wheel will have little or no effect on the length (pushing or pulling)
Old 10-05-2004, 11:13 AM
dnguyent

Whoa, it took only 1 day for me to get these collars in the mail. That was quick!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 01:30 PM
zillinois

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by dnguyent
Whoa, it took only 1 day for me to get these collars in the mail. That was quick!!!
Yes, Mcmaster-Carr are super fast. The lady kind of laughed at me when I asked if there was expedited shipping. She said I would basically have to live way out of the country for it not to reach me the next day.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:41 PM
350zluvr

I just ordered these today, and it selected best shipping option automatically for me = fastest = most expensive.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:49 PM
bwzabodyn

I just got through ordering these as well, hopefully this is the solution I've been waiting for!
Old 10-09-2004, 06:38 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Just installed the collars today. The front sway had shifted 1/2" to the right, the rear about 1/4-3/16". I'm sure glad somebody noticed this.

Thanks Zillinois!
Old 10-11-2004, 09:17 AM
GregGSC

I spoke with hotchkis about this problem and here is what they had to say

"The use of collars is not necessary on the sway bar under normal circumstances. The member that is using them has stated that the vehicle is used for track events. Track events will put harder loads on the bar, and it may benefit slightly by using the collars, but generally they are not necessary due to the placement of centering bends on the bar which limit movement. Slight shifting of the bar side-to-side is normal. The reason we do not use the collars is they often contact the greasable bracket in the rear and can cause a clunking sound.

In reference to Stillen and Nismo using built in collars, both of these manufacturers are producing solid sway bars. Solid bars allow for rings to be welded to the bar for centering. Hollow sway bars do not allow for centering rings to be welded to the bar therefore they are not used. A small price to pay for a 30+% reduction in weight.

In response to posts regarding noise from the bushings, try using marine grade lube in wet climates. For synthetic lubes do not use Mobile 1. We have found it deteriorates quickly at higher temperatures and runs out of the bushings. In addition bushing noise will increase in colder climates as the poly urethane contracts. We offer the greasable bushing in the rear, but unfortunately due to the necessity of running a factory front bracket, the front bushing is not greasable and needs periodic lubing.

If anyone has further questions please contact us toll free 877-466-7655.

Thanks,

Mark Rossetti

Hotchkis Performance

Greg,
Also the one guy that posted that he is getting un even tire wear with the bars, you may want to respond to him as well. That is most likely added heat due to the extra grip from the bars. "

If there are any other questions please feel free to call or email me about them and i will pass them along.

Greg
Old 10-11-2004, 10:01 AM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Greg,

Thanks for following up on this. I still kind of disagree with their unabated slippage allowance. It's hard to say whether the bar will go from side to side or stay stuck on one side (like mine, both were pushed to the right). In the back it appeared to be putting a fair amount of pressure on the lower Stabilizer connecting rod ball.

I don't track my car but do the occasional aggressive mountain runs and now feel a little more secure in knowing that the bar will not slip with the collar addition. We'll find out if it clunks or not in the future.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:31 AM
GregGSC

I think that is the main concern is the added clunkings of the collar. the bar should move back and forth not staying to one side more than the other depending mainly on direction of the cars last aggressive turn.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:07 PM
zillinois

Originally posted by GregGSC
I spoke with hotchkis about this problem and here is what they had to say

"The use of collars is not necessary on the sway bar under normal circumstances. The member that is using them has stated that the vehicle is used for track events. Track events will put harder loads on the bar, and it may benefit slightly by using the collars, but generally they are not necessary due to the placement of centering bends on the bar which limit movement. Slight shifting of the bar side-to-side is normal. The reason we do not use the collars is they often contact the greasable bracket in the rear and can cause a clunking sound.

In reference to Stillen and Nismo using built in collars, both of these manufacturers are producing solid sway bars. Solid bars allow for rings to be welded to the bar for centering. Hollow sway bars do not allow for centering rings to be welded to the bar therefore they are not used. A small price to pay for a 30+% reduction in weight.

In response to posts regarding noise from the bushings, try using marine grade lube in wet climates. For synthetic lubes do not use Mobile 1. We have found it deteriorates quickly at higher temperatures and runs out of the bushings. In addition bushing noise will increase in colder climates as the poly urethane contracts. We offer the greasable bushing in the rear, but unfortunately due to the necessity of running a factory front bracket, the front bushing is not greasable and needs periodic lubing.

If anyone has further questions please contact us toll free 877-466-7655.

Thanks,

Mark Rossetti

Hotchkis Performance

Greg,
Also the one guy that posted that he is getting un even tire wear with the bars, you may want to respond to him as well. That is most likely added heat due to the extra grip from the bars. "

If there are any other questions please feel free to call or email me about them and i will pass them along.

Greg
Thanks for getting the great info Greg!! I've been on vacation all week so I have been unable to reply.

First, I want to say that I like the Hotchkis bars and pretty much agree with Mr. Rossetti's explanation of their bars. As pointed out I do track my car quite a bit and wanted that extra security.

My main complaint with them is that the bar moves over an inch to each side and that is enough play for large amounts of dirt to stick to the greasy exposed bar. Then when the bar slides back into the bushing, the dirt is carried with it. IMO, that will lead to premature bushing wear.

The collars correct this situation and I can verify that after 5 - half hour lapping sessions, 2 - twenty minute lapping session and several time trials at Road America, the bars did not move from their collared position. My tire wear is also, back to normal. Keep in mind my tire wear will be radically different from a street driven vehicle. I may have had a small problem with my alignment already and the Hotchkis exaggerated it due to the above mentioned increased tire adhesion. But my tire wear is the same now as with the OEM bars. So take that for what its worth.

I wanted to say again, that I am a happy Hotchkis customer. The collars address the issues that I personally had with the bars and wanted to share that info with everyone. The bars work as advertised and make a significant contribution to the handling of the Z car. I do not think that the collars are a necessity for most people and the absence of them is not a defect.

Last edited by zillinois; 10-11-2004 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-11-2004, 12:15 PM
zillinois

Originally posted by zwindsor
Just installed the collars today. The front sway had shifted 1/2" to the right, the rear about 1/4-3/16". I'm sure glad somebody noticed this.

Thanks Zillinois!
No problem. ;-) How'd they fit? And did you leave any wiggle room?
Old 10-11-2004, 12:24 PM
GregGSC

good info!
Old 10-11-2004, 12:50 PM
zwindsor
Twisty addict

Originally posted by zillinois
No problem. ;-) How'd they fit? And did you leave any wiggle room?
They fit just fine. A little bit of an angle like you said on the front due to the bend. No problem putting them on. I left about an 1/8".
Old 10-12-2004, 12:30 PM
enthuzd

Default RA Lap times

Hey zillinois, what lap times were you able to put in at RA?

I was there with the Porsche club back in July for 2 days and really enjoyed the track. I have been going to watch Champ cars, superbikes, prototypes etc... for years, but this was the first time, other than simulation, that I drove on it.

Certainly one of the best, most scenic tracks in the US. Most corners have lots of character and three long blasts. WOW, my palms are starting to sweat just talking about it.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:57 PM
EnthuZ
Banned

enthuzd, I too am awaiting his review of his RA experience!

I'm also a RA regular.......I took my Z there last year with CAROC.

Sorry I had to pass this year.

Which Porsche club did you run with? Chicago PCA is VERY picky about who they let run.

You forgot to mention they have THE BEST Brats!
Old 10-12-2004, 04:33 PM
zillinois

enthuzd and EnthuZ, my RA review should be ready in about an hour or so. Check out chicagoz.com in the track section.

Are you guys related? ;-)
Old 10-12-2004, 06:44 PM
zillinois

Road America trip

Quick Reply: Possible Hotchkis Sway Bar fix