Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

need help with coilover height adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 03:40 PM
GY-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by TECHNOSQUARE
I have drifted the car without the spring perch with my HKS setup. On the Zeal, I still maintained the spring perch, but now, I have changed the suspension setup a bit and no longer have a spring perch or bucket at that.
ic what you mean, your using a real coilover setup on the rear now if i recall it correctly?

which rubber piece were you talking about ?
the rubber piece on the dampner?can you be more specific?
appreciate your help men.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:16 PM
TECHNOSQUARE

On a stock car, there's a piece of rubber that your spring sits in on the top and bottom. If you remove that, it's like an inch to two inches, more you can lower the car. On a coilover setup, if you remove the adjustable perch, there is no damage you will encounter. It will just sit in the bucket and the only thing you will encounter is maybe some noises over big bumps. Nothing detrimental to your suspension. Hope I helped.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:18 PM
GY-Z

On a stock car, there's a piece of rubber that your spring sits in on the top and bottom. If you remove that, it's like an inch to two inches, more you can lower the car. On a coilover setup, if you remove the adjustable perch, there is no damage you will encounter. It will just sit in the bucket and the only thing you will encounter is maybe some noises over big bumps. Nothing detrimental to your suspension. Hope I helped.
so what your suggesting me is to remove the spring perch which = to the ribber piece on a stock car?
sorry men, my english isnt so good.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:06 AM
TECHNOSQUARE

Well, I don't think I described it really well. On a stock Z, in the bucket, there's a rubber piece for the bottom of the spring. There is also another rubber piece on the top, between the spring and the chassis. Since it sounds like you don't have those rubber pieces now, if you want it lower and the spring perch is maxed out now, just take out the perch to see how it looks. It might just be the perfect height as I found to be the case with the HKS coilovers I had before.
Old 11-11-2004, 09:52 AM
GY-Z

Well, I don't think I described it really well. On a stock Z, in the bucket, there's a rubber piece for the bottom of the spring. There is also another rubber piece on the top, between the spring and the chassis. Since it sounds like you don't have those rubber pieces now, if you want it lower and the spring perch is maxed out now, just take out the perch to see how it looks. It might just be the perfect height as I found to be the case with the HKS coilovers I had before.
oh, this is a good one.
i'll try ! thanks men
appreciate it.!
Old 11-11-2004, 05:04 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GYZ - as I said if you are out of adjustment on the damper the only way to adjust the height is with the rear spring perch....you should be able to SLAM the car via this method if you want, and since its a linear spring there, it will still handle predicatbly
Old 11-13-2004, 09:53 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by Z1 Performance
GYZ - as I said if you are out of adjustment on the damper the only way to adjust the height is with the rear spring perch....you should be able to SLAM the car via this method if you want, and since its a linear spring there, it will still handle predicatbly
ah, i know what your talking about.
but unfortunatly, i've already adjust both the dampner and spring perch.and its still pretty high.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:00 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can provide you with cut down upper spring seats to get the rear lowering your after. I'll send you a pm with details.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:13 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

there is no way with the damper and spring adjusted you are still too high - something is not right
Old 11-14-2004, 01:26 PM
GY-Z

there is no way with the damper and spring adjusted you are still too high - something is not right
ya, its really weird.i've double checked the adjustment too, and pretty sure nothing is wrong.
the only reason that makes sense to me is that i saved 40~50kg on the rear. but its not really a lot to higher the height..
what you think?

Last edited by GY-Z; 11-14-2004 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-14-2004, 01:51 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

how low are you trying to get it?
Old 11-14-2004, 02:38 PM
GY-Z

how low are you trying to get it?
another 15mm i guess..
Old 11-14-2004, 09:12 PM
TECHNOSQUARE

Can you take pictures of your spring bucket? That way, we might be able to see if you can do anything else to lower it.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:18 PM
GY-Z

Can you take pictures of your spring bucket? That way, we might be able to see if you can do anything else to lower it.
which part is spring bucket? i'm not good w/ the name of parts..

i've been thinking about getting ride of the rubber piece, but i'm just afraid that the chassis of the car will wear out faster.

here is a pic of Gsedan35's cut down spring seat

i think this one would work?

Last edited by GY-Z; 11-14-2004 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:36 PM
TECHNOSQUARE

Getting rid of the rubber pieces will not lead to chassis wear. It might lead to some spring noises if you go over huge bumps too fast.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:05 PM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can try running totally without the upper spring seats and if you get any issues you can't live with, my offer will still stand.

I've found that in spite of the dramatic reduction in height/material, I haven't had any issues regarding noise. I wanted a little more road feel and to kill any chance they were acting as secondary springs (all that rubber is pretty spongy).
Old 11-15-2004, 12:18 PM
GY-Z

Originally posted by Gsedan35
You can try running totally without the upper spring seats and if you get any issues you can't live with, my offer will still stand.

I've found that in spite of the dramatic reduction in height/material, I haven't had any issues regarding noise. I wanted a little more road feel and to kill any chance they were acting as secondary springs (all that rubber is pretty spongy).
your offer is very generous, and i think i'll still go w/ the root you offered me.i'll send you a pm after i checked my coiloversetup later this afternoon.