Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

D2 Coilovers??has anyone used them on here Z???

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 01:00 AM
350zhawaii808

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D2 Coilovers??has anyone used them on here Z???

I was looking to buy a full coilover step up for my car and a friend from my work was telling me about d2 coilover step up. I was wondering if anyone has used them before and how do they ride??????
Old 11-21-2004, 05:47 PM
phoenixZ33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, my friend has a set on his 240SX. Overall they're very nice. Hardware is solid, build quality is great and overall a great setup for the price. HIs car rides pretty harsh, but it's really dependent on what spring rates you get. Go to tein.com and see what spring rates they use for a Tein Flex, as those are pretty soft usually. Tein HE's are really stiff, so see what ther D2 rates are and how they compare to those.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:10 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, but my buddy has them on his s2000 and they are great. We installed them in my garage. To be totalliy honest, the quality looks better than my Tein's. The entire body is anodized...vs. the cheap paint that Tein uses on the base of the struts. The fittings were flawless and clean. They just look reallyi good. He is pleased with the performance of them.

We are still trying to dial in the proper pre-load, which is so critical with coil overs.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:58 AM
Gsedan35

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by phoenixZ33
For what it's worth, my friend has a set on his 240SX. Overall they're very nice. Hardware is solid, build quality is great and overall a great setup for the price. HIs car rides pretty harsh, but it's really dependent on what spring rates you get. Go to tein.com and see what spring rates they use for a Tein Flex, as those are pretty soft usually. Tein HE's are really stiff, so see what ther D2 rates are and how they compare to those.
"Go to tein.com and see what spring rates they use for a Tein Flex, as those are pretty soft usually."

114% stiffer then oem isn't soft, several owners have said the setup boarders on harsh, to be expected when your spring stiffness is that much over oem. The D2's for the Z33 are stiffer still.
Tein Flex
672/672 F+114% R+98
Transfers +16% roll stiffness to front

Distributor's and resellers of D2 coilovers like to make people believe you can pic your spring rates. This is not true beyond D2's recommended rates, which no one bothers to research. Like any product that has shocks, dampners or whatever you will call them, their is no such thing as having such a built in range that you have the flexibility to change spring rates beyond a small amount of change. You MUST revalve. I spoke with the D2 factory rep in Taiwan, they do NOT revalve their products if you try to run other then the rates they recommend and they will tell you you can't run rates other then what they recommend. In fact one S15 owner that bought D2's with a extra set of stiffer springs got a note inside the box from D2 that said if he ran the higher rates that is dampners would "LEAK".

D2 standard recommended spring rate setup for the Z33 is extreamly high 840/728 their optional rate setup is still high
728/560. In fact when a sponcer of this board decided to carry the D2 coilovers and installed them on a 350Z, they felt the car rode so poorly that they pulled the coilovers off the car and compleately abandoned any idea of carrying the product.

Their are much more sensicle coilover products one can put on the Z33, chasing a price point in this case is not a win win situation.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:33 AM
MY350Z.COM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our sponsor EVO-R can get D2 products.

http://www.evo-r.net