Notices
Brakes & Suspension 350Z stoppers, coils, shocks/dampers

How difficult are springs to swap?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Talonvoodo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How difficult are springs to swap?

I have a spring compressor but I am not certain if there is anything 'unusual' about the 350z's suspension that would require a real shop to do it. Obviously I would need to get it aligned afterwards. How easy are springs to remove and install? Can a guy with a spring comressor and a garage do it fairly easy?
Old 12-26-2008, 12:38 PM
BiggieB15

It's real easy you don't even need a spring compressor but I guess its safer with a spring compressor...

I found this for you in the DIY section from drsifu....
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-susp...g35-coupe.html

Last edited by BiggieB15; 12-26-2008 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:38 PM
foreignsoda

i needed a spring compressor. i don't know how i could of done it without it. it was a PITA even with it. bloody hands afterward. maybe i just suck at installing things - but it was not fun.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:27 PM
SS728

Fronts are a PITA. You have to put a lot of load (or have someone jump) on the wheel hub to actually slide the complete assembly out.
That was probably the most difficult part of changing springs.
Rears are a snap.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:50 PM
beetlejuice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, a regular guy who has decent automotive knowledge with a garage (and tools) can swap out the springs on the G/Z.

Rears are easy (no spring compressor or special tools needed).

Fronts are harder (but doable). If you don't have air tools, you'll need the spring compressor to take apart the fronts.

I installed Tanabe GF210 on my 350Z. Didn't need the spring compressor to install the front springs (but I had to press down with some force on the upper mount when putting the fronts back together). And I'm decent sized (6'2" 230 lbs).

This gives you an idea of the most difficult part (removing the front shock/spring out of the wheel well):

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yQ35i_1EP1M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yQ35i_1EP1M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BTW, not my video...just found it on youtube when doing research on spring installation for this car.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:12 PM
SchismX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't have to disconnect the a-arm when removing the front shock, but is recommended. I got mine out and back in without disconnecting it. It as a pita though to take out. Takes a lot of persuasion. Make sure to also disconnect the sway bars.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:26 PM
MikeyG

Not too bad to do without too much knowledge. There is a good DIY on here about it but I find it easier to do like in the videop above with the exception of instead of disconnecting the a-arm, just disconnect the upper ball joint so the upeer arm can be moved upward out of the way.

You need to do the following for the fronts

1) to take off the strut bar under the hood
2) unscrew the bolts on the strut tower
3) unbolt the sway bar
4) unbolt the lower shock mount
5) remove the brake lines and ABS sensor off the shocks
6) pull down on the shock to get it out of the upper shock mount. You do have to pull hard as others mention.
7) you can now remove the spring/strut being somewhat creative. Space is tight.

swap springs I needed a spring compressor as well got my Tanabe GF210 on the stock shocks and on Tociko blues. We had 2 of us pushing down on the springs and had anout another inch to go to get the upper spring mount back on.

Rears are really ease to do. I would just follow the DIY in the suspension forum.
https://my350z.com/forum/brakes-susp...d-yusoslo.html
Old 12-27-2008, 05:39 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier MemberSuper Moderator

Received 2,333 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by foreignsoda
i needed a spring compressor. i don't know how i could of done it without it. it was a PITA even with it. bloody hands afterward. maybe i just suck at installing things - but it was not fun.
I'm a phone call and cheap prices away. Easy and fun for me to do.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:13 PM
bapestah

It's a basic concept but I don't think I'd try it w.o power tools and a lift..... I've done a couple of strut and shock replacements on different cars and it's not rocket science or anything but be prepared for bloody knuckes and the urge to curse outloud often. GL
Old 12-27-2008, 08:22 PM
lil_shaun

Its really easy, alot of people say the fronts are a PITA but its really not if you use your head. People have people step on the hub, hang on it, push it down, and still have a hard time gettings it low enough to slide the shock out...this is rediculous...if you know anything about levers and physics youll find it to be much easier. Just use the handle of your jack stand (the part that you move up and down...pretty much a bar) and wedge it btw the control arm and sway bar (or anything else hard and secure enough to give you leverage) and push down, then viola! You can now move the control arm low enough for you to slide the fork of the shock out...yup, no primitive jumping and balancing on the hub! Im 5'4" and not necessarily a big dude so its not like i had to be strong to push the bar down...if i can do it anyone can
Old 12-27-2008, 08:38 PM
Concave
Banned

i never had to push the hub down but the fronts still sucked *****!