Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

What is it with the “mommy and daddy are buying this Z for me..” stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 12:34 PM
tacomaboy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by FluxedSpeed
Guess what, Im 17, Im getting a 2005 Pikes Peak White Touring 350z, jealous? Good.
LOL, for me jealousy has nothing to do with it. Like I said, I think it would be better if you got an Escalade or some other expensive vehicle that was not so dangerous.

I am 26, have a house, a wife, a dog, a Z, a Murano, and I worked for all of them. I am proud of what I have accomplished. And when I have my children, even if I am a mutli-millionaire, I wont get them a sports car, no matter how much they whine and cry to me. Sometimes as a parent you have to be an adult and not give in to such things.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:37 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

exactly,

I don't have kids yet and am not planning on them soon or even married yet (pretty soon though), but you see things different when you get to your mid 20's and start settling down with a girl
Old 02-23-2005, 12:37 PM
tacomaboy

Originally posted by Built2shredZ
Ya but can't a teen kill himself just a easily in a $15k civic as he can in a $28k 350z? I mean both cars can do 100 mph, given the civic will take a little longer to get there, but crash either car at 100 mph your going to be dead...

You might say a teen would be more tempted to race if he was driving a 350z then a civic.... well have ever been to a street race? Lots of teens in civics racing out there...

Actually the opposite argument could be used that a teen with a awesome car like a 350z would be more carefully driving it vs a crapper car he doesnt care anything about....

Your arguments would be more valid if you were using them to justy that teens have to have 2 years driving experience before they were given there license, and able to go out on there own..
2 years of driving with your mom in the passenger seat does not qualify you for Nascar. And it does not qulaify you for a 300HP sports car.

There is a WORLD of difference between a Civic and a 350Z. If you are trying to tell me a kid is just as safe with a 300HP rocket as they are in a 130HP economy car, then you need to reconsider your argument.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Racer Z
Banned

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SoBe
[B]this is by far the dumbest post ever...

Got my Z at 16 after driving a truck for six months. Have not recked it or scrathed it, nor have I gotton a single ticket in it. Why not get an amazing car at 16 as long as you respect what it can do and respect how fortunate you are for having a car like this. Sorry if your parents didnt make enough money to buy you a car like this and or just felt like you didnt deserve a nice car, because you probably did not.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

This KID is the reason WHY my insurance payments are so HIGH and WHY there are so many fatalities on the highways!

I see spoiled little brats driving Mommy and Daddy's Mercedes or BMW all the time....I hate this more than the teens driving the riced-up Honda Civics with the 20 foot spoiler.

Dude, you are a pretentious little *****...you know that?
Old 02-23-2005, 12:43 PM
sentry65
the burninator

yeah racing isn't safe in any car really - who knows what road conditions might be up ahead, who knows if you drive fine, but the other guy somehow plows into your side and you both crash.

When I was in high school, some kid I didn't know killed himself on a motorcycle down the street less than half a block from school. Crashed into a wall at 90mph and broke his neck - died instantly. I think a motorcycle is an even stupider vehicle to give your kid...

Last edited by sentry65; 02-23-2005 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:47 PM
tacomaboy

Kids down by my old high school kill themselves constantly in cars. Its really sad.

Alot of them drink and drive, and just dont know when and where it is safe to speed (if you consider speeding safe).

A lot of them get in bad accidents in vehicles that are mild enuogh, like trucks. But the ones who are in sports cars... its not pretty.

I would love my kids to much to risk that.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:53 PM
mr2fasterthanyo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, it is kids like this, that make our insurance high. oh well.. darwin always wins, maybe they will be eliminated from the gene pool if they are too dumb.

i agree with the older people here. i wouldn't have trusted myself with a fast car that young. i went form the pontiac to a 97 cavalier z24. that was a fine step. then to the first mr2, and in NA form. autocrossed or tracked it every other weekend for two years before i allowed myself to finalyl move up in power, transplant a turbo engine, and build it to 397 RWHP. even then it was probably a little nuts for a 22 year old to have a car with that much power..........

but i respected it. i knew how to handle the car. i knew how it would react if i hit a wet or icey spot and it started to get squirrely

young drivers just do not have the experience to know how to react in all these situations. personally i think RWD is easier to drive and control i bad weather, but these kids don't have any experience with it.

but it doesn't matter...... hopefully some day these kids will stop being supported by their parents, have to go into the real world, and realize how much stuff costs. these are the types you see all the time that have to declare bankruptcy..... and we wil be the ones laughing at them.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:56 PM
Built2shredZ

Originally posted by tacomaboy
2 years of driving with your mom in the passenger seat does not qualify you for Nascar. And it does not qulaify you for a 300HP sports car.

There is a WORLD of difference between a Civic and a 350Z. If you are trying to tell me a kid is just as safe with a 300HP rocket as they are in a 130HP economy car, then you need to reconsider your argument.
I guess the problem I have with your argument tacomaboy is that your saying that only someone of a certain age should be able to drive a 350z... In my opinion this is wrong... You can't just say that everyone under a certain age is a crappy driver and therefore are limited to driving yugo's.... Sure there's going to be crappy teen drivers. But guess what i've seen guys in there 30-50's who drive worse then my 16 year old nephew..

All Im saying that a stupid kid is just as dangerous in a 350z as he is in a civic... Look at this way, a 350z does the 1/4 mile in what 14.2 secs.. a honda civic does it in 15.7 secs... so were talking 1.5 secs diffrence? how does that 1.5 seconds make it safer to drive a civic vs a 350z? The way your acting you would think the 350z had jet engines attached to it..

In all honesty I rather see a stupid kid drive a 350z reckless then him driving a Hummer out of control... atleast if he crashes into me with a 350z i would have a chance.. he runs me over in a hummer, GAME OVER....

Last edited by Built2shredZ; 02-23-2005 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:04 PM
tacomaboy

I guess the problem I have with your argument tacomaboy is that your saying that only someone of a certain age should be able to drive a 350z... In my opinion this is wrong... You can't just say that everyone under a certain age is a crappy driver and therefore are limited to driving yugo's.... Sure there's going to be crappy teen drivers. But guess what i've seen guys in there 30-50's who drive worse then my 16 year old nephew..

All Im saying that a stupid kid is just as dangerous in a 350z as he is in a civic... Look at this way, a 350z does the 1/4 mile in what 14.2 secs.. a honda civic does it in 15.7 secs... so were talking 1.5 secs diffrence? how does that 1.5 seconds make it safer to drive a civic vs a 350z? The way your acting you would think the 350z had jet engines attached to it..
I am not pinpointing an age group here. I am specifying an age limit.

Happens with beer, cigarrettes, the military, even movies!

There is a VERY valid reason for this. And it has nothing to do with bias.

WHY would I be biased against teens? I was one once, and my sister is one now...

I have no problem with teens, and I know there are some very talented and respectful teens out there.

BUT STILL they do NOT have the experience and maturity to handle such a powerful car.

And you are arguing that the Civic is just as dangerous as the 350Z? Thats just wrong. even 1.5 secs (and its more than that) is 15 CAR LENGTHS.

Its a HUGE difference.

Look at it this way. Kinetic energy is exponentially related to speed.

The Z can easily do 150 in the amount of time it takes a Civic to do 80. That is 4 times more energy in the same amount of time.

Its completely illogical to say that the Z is not much faster and not more dangerous in the hands of an irresponsible driver (youth or otherwise).
Old 02-23-2005, 01:05 PM
sentry65
the burninator

i thought honda civics were more like 17.2-19.8 sec range in quarter mile? I guess if they're modded/riced?

17-19 vs 13-14's is a huge difference. It's not even a contest.

Last edited by sentry65; 02-23-2005 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:06 PM
tacomaboy

In all honesty I rather see a stupid kid drive a 350z reckless then him driving a Hummer out of control... atleast if he crashes into me with a 350z i would have a chance.. he runs me over in a hummer, GAME OVER....
You need a lesson in physics. A Z travelling twice as fast as a Hummer that weighs twice as much does twice as much damage as the Hummer would do.

I would MUCH rather have the Hummer. hit me (although I dont want either hehe).
Old 02-23-2005, 01:17 PM
mr2fasterthanyo

tacoma- you forget he is to young yet to have probably gotten to physics...... he is still learning basic addition
Old 02-23-2005, 01:18 PM
sentry65
the burninator

kinda like a bullet
Old 02-23-2005, 02:08 PM
Scott n Houston

I am kinda new around here and considering a Z purchase for a daily, but I'm going to weigh in on this just for fun b/c it's been on my mind a lot lately...

I am a new dad... here's my daughter: (bragging time!)

I can tell you exactly what her new car will be... I even have a pic:
http://216.39.194.177/explorer/1.jpg

That's kind of a joke, but not totally.

As a long time road racing fanatic with PCA (porsche club), I have learned one thing that no younger kids will understand:
"You are not a good driver at 16. Period."
Good driving is about seat time, practice, and experience. You don't have that at 16. Even if you've been practicing since you were 14, you still don't have enough.

Yes, some older people may still be terrible drivers, but NO 16 year old is a "good" driver.

And yes... having a faster car makes them more dangerous. To the comment above that a civic is just as dangerous as a Z, that's just untrue.

I'm doing decently financially, and God willing, will be doing much better in 16 years when my daughter can drive, but I know for sure that she's not driving anything new, or anything fast.
If she was a boy, that would be 100x more true.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:18 PM
CelticPride2

Originally posted by Scott n Houston
As a long time road racing fanatic with PCA (porsche club), I have learned one thing that no younger kids will understand:
Good driving is about seat time, practice, and experience. You don't have that at 16. Even if you've been practicing since you were 14, you still don't have enough.

Yes, some older people may still be terrible drivers, but NO 16 year old is a "good" driver.

And yes... having a faster car makes them more dangerous. To the comment above that a civic is just as dangerous as a Z, that's just untrue.

I'm doing decently financially, and God willing, will be doing much better in 16 years when my daughter can drive, but I know for sure that she's not driving anything new, or anything fast.
Well put...yes, it's true that that both crashing a Civic and crashing a Z can have fatal consequences. But in everyday driving, I'd be much more trusting of my kid if he had a civic...given that the Civic has half the HP and FWD, the chances of losing control in sticky road conditions are gonna be much lower.

As for the street racing, that's not an example I had in mind. I was simply referring to everyday driving and its usual hazards, which is going to be the more common scenario. Regardless of what you're driving, racing illegally at high speeds on public roads is simply writing your own application for a Darwin award.

--CP2

Last edited by CelticPride2; 02-23-2005 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:30 PM
kinjal

Back in 1998 when i was 16 , i was driving a 1991 honda accord lx. my friends were cruising in way nicer sportier cars, but my parents (who have alot of money) refused to buy me a nicer car. They said that I needed to work for nice things like a new car, and if they bought me one it wouldnt teach me anything. After the accord gave out in 2001, I was driving a 03 toyota corolla. I spent my college years cruising in a corolla. Fast forward to this year... after working for 9 months as a college graduate and making a few good investments, here I am driving my 4 month old 350z touring. Generally, people who drive a 350z have a passion for the specific car. Ever since the car was announced for production at the 01 auto show, it was my goal to own one. I dont know if I would have worked as hard in school if my parents had bought me a nice car at 16. the hard work in school translated into a good paying job for a year, and me entering medical school next fall. my point is that a car such as the 350z is something that people should strive and work hard for... it should be a goal, not a gift.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:59 PM
tacomaboy

Originally posted by Scott n Houston
I am kinda new around here and considering a Z purchase for a daily, but I'm going to weigh in on this just for fun b/c it's been on my mind a lot lately...

I am a new dad... here's my daughter: (bragging time!)

I can tell you exactly what her new car will be... I even have a pic:
http://216.39.194.177/explorer/1.jpg

That's kind of a joke, but not totally.

What a beautiful little girl, youre lucky man.

And I am glad to see that you are thinking about her future. Apparantly not all parents care for their children as much. Spoiling them does not mean loving them.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:02 PM
thrifiddytt

This is disgusting...I feel like I'm surrounded by teens at times on this forum...maybe I'm just an old fart. My first car was a 74 Chevy Malibu Coupe, cost me $400. Had a shoe string on the brake pedal, backfired, torn seats, blown speakers, faded paint, etc...the works...but it was fast as hell. Best part about that car was that it had portable spinners....my hubcaps would roll off on their own when doing turns too fast..I know most of you are totally in envy of that beast I used to own, til the engine blew and melted the hell out of it. My next car was a badass 87 tercel that ran on 4 cylinders when I first bought it, and then 3 cylinders after a month..0-60 in 29 seconds, then I took it offroading...beat the hell out of that car and drove it into the ground...yet it still kept on running. Ah yes, then my 98 Dakota pickup with over 13 recalls...won't get into that. Then my Acura Legend SE (climbing up the ladder now), but then fell off my ladder into a 96 civic without power steering...now my Z. so there's some sort of progression in the cars I owned..you just have to suffer a bit.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:07 PM
tacomaboy

Well also, keep in mind I am not saying kids need to drive a piece of crap.

My personal belief is in fact that a teenager should learn to earn their stuff.. but I am not going to argue that here.

I went to a private school with LOTS of RICH kids, and most of them ended up with prolems since they were spoiled and never learned how to fend for themselves.

But, my point is about safety... and its a very clear and correct point. There are no good arguments against it.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:15 PM
thrifiddytt

Originally posted by tacomaboy
Well also, keep in mind I am not saying kids need to drive a piece of crap.

My personal belief is in fact that a teenager should learn to earn their stuff.. but I am not going to argue that here.

I went to a private school with LOTS of RICH kids, and most of them ended up with prolems since they were spoiled and never learned how to fend for themselves.

But, my point is about safety... and its a very clear and correct point. There are no good arguments against it.
I definitely hear you here. My parents tried to send me to a private school for boys because it was Ivy League and top class. But here's the hilarious part I purposely tried to fail the multiple choice entrance exam ABBACADABBA all the way down...and I passed! Rich kids everywhere with trust funds from their parents like candy. Safety shouldn't have to be argued, but kids should drive a piece of crap. My first car was so, but it was a tank and had a horn like a fog horn. Having a piece of crap will teach them humility (as I was taught) when the car backfires in front of the school and the value of a dollar (when buying gas and parts for a gas guzzler that is unreliable)...

Quick Reply: What is it with the “mommy and daddy are buying this Z for me..” stuff?