Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Carmax

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 10:49 AM
kahuba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Carmax

For those looking for a new Z, go to Carmax.com and check out the price of their 2006 Z. $300 below invoice. If your on the east coast/near Baltimore/can find cheap airfare to Baltimore, it may be worth it to put an order in and weight the 90 days.

Last edited by kahuba; 11-19-2005 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:53 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

Birthday:
February 11, 1982 Z/G Owner:
No Location:
Cincinnati Occupation:
Designer @ GE Aircraft Engines

Are you flying to Baltimore to pick-up a new Z? I can give you a ride from the airport.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:00 PM
kahuba

Yeah, i'm thinking about it. Haven't quite worked out the details thus far. Appreciate the offer, will look you up when the time comes.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:41 AM
wvz

Hi all, I just bought the one remaining leftover 2005 350Z at Carmax in Baltimore. It is a redline touring 6 spd with black leather. Think I got a pretty good deal. Sticker was 34,750, got the car for 28700, +450 for installed sirius radio, plus 99 doc fee, plus 5% WV sales tax. Buying experience was decent, except for the following: there is a 3" deep scratch, and swirl marks apparently from bristly car wash. Regular tank of gas (she was knocking til I got in some premium), still no owners manual, and they did a lousy prep job too. OTHERWISE THIS CAR IS AWESOME!!!!!! I traded in my 2004 Pontiac GTO (incredible power but too cushy a ride and too big) for a minor loss. I have wanted a 350Z since they came out and finally I got mine!! Seems like the 2006 Touring is about 1500 cheaper sticker than the 2005, so I think I got a pretty good deal, but not deal of the century material. Oh well I love the car! Overall think the tweaks to the 2006 are not worth another grand or two to me.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:41 AM
davidv

Originally Posted by wvz
Hi all, I just bought the one remaining leftover 2005 350Z at Carmax in Baltimore. It is a redline touring 6 spd with black leather. Think I got a pretty good deal. Sticker was 34,750, got the car for 28700, +450 for installed sirius radio, plus 99 doc fee, plus 5% WV sales tax. Buying experience was decent, except for the following: there is a 3" deep scratch, and swirl marks apparently from bristly car wash. Regular tank of gas (she was knocking til I got in some premium), still no owners manual, and they did a lousy prep job too. OTHERWISE THIS CAR IS AWESOME!!!!!! I traded in my 2004 Pontiac GTO (incredible power but too cushy a ride and too big) for a minor loss. I have wanted a 350Z since they came out and finally I got mine!! Seems like the 2006 Touring is about 1500 cheaper sticker than the 2005, so I think I got a pretty good deal, but not deal of the century material. Oh well I love the car! Overall think the tweaks to the 2006 are not worth another grand or two to me.
Congratulations. It looks like kahuba will have to wait until CarMax stocks to lot with 2006. Enjoy your ride.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:53 AM
kahuba

I'm probably just going to end up ordering it. I want to be able to break it in properly without having anyone beat on it prior to my purchase. WVZ, did you find the car at Carmax because of this thread?
Old 12-04-2005, 05:52 AM
tonystark

Angry

I got my 2003 Z from a Carmax in Richmond a few months ago. They DIDN'T tell me that I could transfer the old extended warranty to myself for $25.00 bucks because they wanted me to buy the carmax warranty. That was @ssholish.

Worse the repair shop in the Bethesda, Maryland Carmax (brakes are STILL squeaking) sucks @ss. I had to take my car to a nissan dealer cause those d!ckheads at Carmax "forgot" to put shims on my brakes.

Other than that, the car has been fine (with a little feathering) but I just want you to know that carmax is not as great as you think it is.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:59 AM
kahuba

You're speaking from the perspective of a used car buyer. I like the fact that i can purchase the car under invoice without having to play games. I'll be able to replace the brakes myself when the time comes.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:15 AM
lightner22

I bought my 04 track from carmax for 5000 under Kelley blue book. Car is in perfect shape...now has feathering issues but thats not their fault and it didn't have them when I bought it.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:24 PM
wvz

Thanks all for the congrats. My Z is now parked while the east coast gets some snow, I'm driving my 96 240SX newly shod with blizzaks. Anyway, no, Carmax is not perfect, by a long shot. The delivery was pathetic, they filled it with regular fuel, and there are several scratches on it. But otherwise, I can probably live with that since I don't think the average Nissan dealer would have delivered the car at that price without endless hours or debating and haggling. In fact, the car I was originally going to get was a leftover enthuisiast at the Frederick MD dealer, and they would not even sell the car at invoice, let alone at below invoice like carmax, so the final price would have only been like 1500 cheaper than the touring model at carmax (when the stickers were more than 4 grand different). Oh, and I found out about the carmax site just from searching used Z's, I had originally had my eye on an 04 roadster with very low miles for a really good price. I missed that one since they transferred it to Florida (from Chicago where evidentally no one buys roadsters in winter.). Anyway, I would still recommend them for the no hassle and low dealer fees, they are even selling 06 Z's at below invoice prices!!
Old 12-05-2005, 11:29 PM
wvz

Oh, another problem with carmax, they are very strict with regard to outside financing, you can bring financing from your credit union, but they have to receive the certified check within 3 days, otherwise your loan reverts to a high interest carmax loan. That would be scary! They are also hard to get ahold of, I have called probably 5 times to try to get my owners manual and keep gettin sidestepped. I think they are like the largest volume nissan dealer on the east coast by the way, that is probably how they can afford to sell 'em at below invoice. The salesman told me they have people flying in from CA all the time.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:32 AM
wvz

Hey any perspective 350Z buyer! Check out carmax in baltimore now (white marsh store)...they have a new truckload of 06 350's in stock priced about 500 dollars below invoice! Only a 99 dollar doc fee. Sort of wish I'd passed on the leftover '05...altho I'm still fine with it too. I doubt there is a Nissan dealer in the country that would get close to those prices...
Old 12-15-2005, 12:33 AM
wvz

ps don't think they will give you quite that good a deal on a special order but i could be wrong. however they have a daytona blue, side airbags, 6 spd, hard to beat that setup!!!!
Old 12-18-2005, 11:47 PM
new_one

i was looking at carmax, and found a 05 z with 6k mi ss enth. the only problem is that its in clearwater ok. they said theyd ship it and itll take 28 days. say i order it and dont like it and its not what i was expecting. can i send it back or refuse it.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:56 AM
wvz

try changing your carmax search to only new nissan 350z and it should pull up the new ones in baltimore!
Old 12-20-2005, 01:17 PM
new_one

i live in cali though. and the sight said the only new cars they sell are americans
Old 12-20-2005, 03:29 PM
wahoo5

Originally Posted by new_one
i live in cali though. and the sight said the only new cars they sell are americans
If you are referring to the Carmax web site, then you misread it. If you select search new cars and then click on "Make", you will see that Carmax sells new Nissans, Toyotas, and Scions in addition to Chevy, Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:36 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by new_one
i was looking at carmax, and found a 05 z with 6k mi ss enth. the only problem is that its in clearwater ok. they said theyd ship it and itll take 28 days. say i order it and dont like it and its not what i was expecting. can i send it back or refuse it.
No. You will contract for the car before you see it. When the car arrives, you own it.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:04 AM
new_one

they only sell new nissans in baltimore. im in los angeles
Old 01-02-2006, 07:16 AM
bagwell

Hey guys for those of you you don't want to wait for a car to be shipped to you from a dealer, I'll drive it home for you or whereever you specify...for a fee...most of the time $500+gas money based on 25 MPG (a little more for east coast to west coast) PM me if interested.

Quick Reply: Carmax