Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 01:15 PM
DeeZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy new... i dont trust used sport cars
Old 01-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Fletch69z

I have an 03 and have been lucky to have no problems with it. I would say the chances of you having more problems are definitely more prevalent farther back. I would get an 04 or 05 if I was you. I bought my 03 when it was barely a year old so it was still as new as you could go without getting a new 04, .
Old 01-02-2006, 04:00 PM
Will Pwr

Thanks! you have confirmed what I thought was true...

I have sat and driven both an 03 and an 06 and noticed the big differences between the two. I have yet to spend any decent time in an 04-05 though. Basically, Im stuck between getting a new 06 enthusiast from Perf Nissan or an 03 track with >10k miles from a referral. I would like to get an 04-05, but I cant seem to find a nice PPW one

Originally Posted by 35oZephyR
From what I've seen,

The 03's have a more plastic and thin/ brittle feeling center console with a semi-gloss grey. The 04's -05's have a more rubber and soft contour and you're right, it is more black than charcoal and is more matte color.

-- The door swivels UP instead of IN, but is made a little more beefy.

04's are also when they started putting in the knee pads and seat-belt extenders so they don't hit the door/glass.

06's have an even nicer console, it feels like a more solid plastic instead of hollow. Still black like the 04 and 05. If it's nav it has no door at all. Just an opened and molded NAV window which looks pretty trick.
Old 01-02-2006, 04:14 PM
dogfacker

any years is ok..... but not a 03. i drove few 03 before i bought my 04, it really is a mistake from nissan.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:05 PM
JunJTan

get 06 if your budget is good for you. no doubt.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Osix350Z
Banned

me and my bro Both just bought 06 tourings 2 months ago!!! TRUST ME it doesnt get any better!!! we got them for 33 out the door, and for a stock BOSE system its awesome.. for 33k you cant get a better car for what you are offered with the touring package.. s2k doesnt compare its quick but as far as interior its a step down, the sti and evo are just kiddie cars IMO.. DEF go with the 06 if you can afford it its worth every penny!!! i love my car! comes stock with xenon hi defs and the led tails.. bose controls on the steering wheel.. 300 hp 260 torque, but for a good reason.. they put more power in the top end where the Z really shines!!I raced my brothers bone stock 06 with my civic coupe ITR swap that ran a 13.90.. we went from a first gear roll by the time we were in 4th he started pulling end of 5th he had a car on me.. but thats beside the point, the 06 is your best bet man!! sorry for rambling but I LOVE MY Z!!!
Old 01-03-2006, 02:06 AM
heezyo2o

Originally Posted by Will Pwr
Thanks! you have confirmed what I thought was true...

I have sat and driven both an 03 and an 06 and noticed the big differences between the two. I have yet to spend any decent time in an 04-05 though. Basically, Im stuck between getting a new 06 enthusiast from Perf Nissan or an 03 track with >10k miles from a referral. I would like to get an 04-05, but I cant seem to find a nice PPW one
So you're selling your modded M3 for a used Z? I remember reading that thread on m3forum about how you thought the boosted Z you have at work did not compare to the M3. I think I read a post or two about how you want to save money, but if you end up modding the Z, it seems your savings will be limited at best. Both great cars, but just wondering why you're making the switch.

Anyways, an '06 enthusiast seems to be the best bet, with the revup engine, bi-xenons and LED tails. There would be minimal savings over an '05 and an '03 track doesn't make sense since I assume you're going to mod it.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:42 AM
Tattude

05 or 06 for sure... 05's you can get for a REALLY good deal right now. Most likely your best bet. Performance between the two aren't are so close it's a coin flip to see how wins a race.
Go with the best deal between the 05-06.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:59 AM
Will Pwr

Originally Posted by heezyo2o
So you're selling your modded M3 for a used Z? I remember reading that thread on m3forum about how you thought the boosted Z you have at work did not compare to the M3. I think I read a post or two about how you want to save money, but if you end up modding the Z, it seems your savings will be limited at best. Both great cars, but just wondering why you're making the switch.

Anyways, an '06 enthusiast seems to be the best bet, with the revup engine, bi-xenons and LED tails. There would be minimal savings over an '05 and an '03 track doesn't make sense since I assume you're going to mod it.
Yeah, selling the modded M3 for a Z (used or new-depends on model and deal I can find). I did post that the boosted Z I had at work didnt compare...but there are different aspects to that senario now...the boosted Z is an SC'd one that is now "built up" and puts out near 400rwhp....and secondly, Ill be going turbo on my Z

Honestly, in the end Ill be saving money, especially with the power that Ill be putting out. Aside from that, I still owe money on the M3, but once I sell it, I will have enough cash in hand to buy a Z straight out (thus no more car payments)..and the money from the M3 mods will just transfer partly into the Z and the rest to pay off bills....odd logical it may be, but it works for me

Yeah, I really like the 06 enthusiast...creature comfort of the interior is what is luring me for sure...plus having a brand new car is nice. There are only a few things that are holding me back from the 06 (even though I will get the color I really want - PPW)....#1 the rev-up motor will "complicate" the turbo kit (Exh VTC, etc) but will not prevent it either - #2 rumor is that there is yet another engine update in 07...#3 Est. $5000 more is still $5000 in terms of parts money or bills..

None the less, your input is much appreciated and well taken any more would be just as welcomed
Old 01-03-2006, 09:09 AM
Haneyrm

I would look for a new '06 if the budget can swing it. You should be able to find an '06 Enthusiast 6MT for around $28,000 or so. Tremendous bang for the buck and the interior upgrades are really nice.

Mike
Old 01-03-2006, 09:11 AM
Haneyrm

Not to mention LED tail-lights, bi-zenon headlights, 18's standard, etc.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ and the illuminated steering wheel audio controls
Old 01-03-2006, 12:10 PM
xedes

First of all, You really can't come to a forum like this one and ask "what year is the best, or what model" everybody is so in love with their own cars, they are going to naturally say they have the best. It is my humble opinion that they are all great cars. It does not matter what year,model, or color. The cars are just beautiful and a blast to drive. Whatever you get, if its missing something that you want, you can always order an aftermarket part to replace or add to it.
I personally purchased a 03 touring (brickyard). it had 6k miles on it. it now has 29k miles on it and i have not had anything go wrong with it. The cars are built well. Now, if i'm missing 13hp compared to a '06, oh well, I still love my car, and I'm sure whatever you decide to get, you will love too!
Old 01-03-2006, 12:40 PM
saint01

Originally Posted by HighwaySpeed
'03/'04 with low mileage = too much time sitting in the service bay.
I don't believe this to be true at all. Up to this point, my 03 has only been in the shop once, for the tire feathering issues, which are not relevant any longer, as I have a different set of wheels. Otherwise, I haven't had any problems at all!
Old 01-03-2006, 12:48 PM
ZlleH

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the brickyard only was availble in '04? Maybe just a Canadian thing.

Also, you might be misisng 13HP compared to the 06, but you have 14 more Torque compared to the '06.

And like the old saying goes, HP sales the cars, TQ wins the races. Although it is a small amount of TQ Think about it this way, Wouldn't it be cool as a salesmen to say the car has 300HP instead of 287HP? Even though it's 13HP with the sacrifice of 14 less TQ, the emphasis is that you have reached the magical 300HP and that sales cars. Average people don't realize or notice that they sacrificed 14TQ to achieve that extra 13HP for sales.

03-05 non revup motors:
Horsepower: 287 bhp @ 6200 rpm
Torque: 274 lb-ft @ 4800 rpm

Revup motors and 06 motors:
Horsepower: 300 bhp @ 6400 rpm
Torque: 260 lb-ft @ 4800 rpm

Originally Posted by xedes
I personally purchased a 03 touring (brickyard). it had 6k miles on it. it now has 29k miles on it and i have not had anything go wrong with it. The cars are built well. Now, if i'm missing 13hp compared to a '06, oh well, I still love my car, and I'm sure whatever you decide to get, you will love too!

Last edited by ZlleH; 01-03-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:49 PM
35oZephyR

Originally Posted by xedes
First of all, You really can't come to a forum like this one and ask "what year is the best, or what model" everybody is so in love with their own cars, they are going to naturally say they have the best.
hahah not true!

For the dozens of biased opinions, you'll find at least a couple worthy constructive comments.

I for one, have an 04..and I've always loved my interior, I don't see all the fuss in all the "cheap" complaints from earlier owners.

I sat in an 06 this weekend at the International car show. Honestly, It almost felt like being in a different car, with a different luxury interior. Nissan really improved the interior trim giving it that extra edge over other cars in it's class.

With that said, I still prefer the no B.S. layout and weight savings on my 04 base since my car is a tuning car. I overlooked the G35C for those very reasons in which the Z is evolving into.

Like you, I absolutely love what I have. Looking at the big picture, it is a the "Zed" car and great no matter what trim or year.

Will Pwr,

If you were on the fence about the G35c and Z, the 06 is a good compromise. Especially if you're coming from an E46. The 06 does feel a little more posh with all the options. Unless of course, you're planning on some interior renovations.
Given the weight and the inevitable "tuning" you mentioned , that's the only beneficially overt thing I see if going with an 06 purchase.

Whatever it is, I'm SURE it will be a great specimen with the "company support."
Old 01-03-2006, 01:08 PM
BlackSpec02

I cant believe there are so many people saying "06 if you can afford it" its amazing to me that no one but 350zephyr and myself care about that small... 200 Lb. DIFFERENCE IN WEIGHT!!!!!!!! (150 maybe? I cant remember, but still!!!)

I wouldnt buy an 06 simply for the weight alone... the increase in HP is offset by the weight and the loss of TQ... i say 05 if you can afford it, otherwise get an 03 and save money.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Mazinger Z

Smile

All this is GREAT info, even though it's understandable that people will say that their car/model/year is the best, i've almost concluded that I will get an 05 (enthu/track). As for modding the car, of course I will! And I didnt' know that the 06 was MUCH heavier than the 05s. Even though luxury is an important part of my buying process, the 350 is a sports car after all. I hope it's quieter than the lancers/STIs, but hey, I can't really complain because getting a 300hp car for less than 25k you would have to expect some drawbacks. Again, please keep posting guys! It's awesome info, and hopefully I will get my car soon!
Old 01-04-2006, 01:02 AM
BlackSpec02

oh yeah and IF you can get an 05 track you can get the 300 hp motor w/o the 2006 weight... so that may be the car to shoot for.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:04 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Which 350Z did you get?

Quick Reply: 03 04 05 06 ? Which year should i get?