Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Unique buying position...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 10:26 PM
gibbous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unique buying position...

Okay, here's my deal, I hope this all makes sense...

One of the (few) perks of working for my present employer is that I can purchase a new Nissan (or Infiniti for that matter) from a dealer for a flat 2.5% over invoice price + tax, license, destination charges & all that good stuff. So what I'm wondering is would I be crazy to try to buy a 350z with this? I can't help but think that any rational dealer would laugh at me and turn around and sell the car to someone who would give him enough money to make a profit instead of just covering his costs.

I would also have to take delivery from dealer stock, which makes it even tougher. Fortunately I live in the car capital of the known universe (Los Angeles) so with enough searching I could probably find the one I want. Also, I wouldn't actually be doing this for a few months, possibly not until the 04's hit the showroom, so maybe by that time these things won't be such a commodity among dealers.

Considering what I've read on here about treatment people get from dealers, I've become kind of skeptical about my chances of pulling this off. Anybody have any thoughts?
Old 01-18-2003, 10:32 PM
r34 racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

If you're waiting till 04 models are out, then i say go for it. If you have a dealer that moves a lot of Z's and has what you want in stock, i figure your chances are decent to good. They will be better if you try to get an 03 model when the 04's are out, that way the dealer will be trying to move the 03 and replace with an 04. Remember that there is a large volume of Z's coming in, and at the time you are describing, there may be lots of Z's piling up in dealer lots. And anyway, whats the harm in trying? The worst scenario is the dealer will say no, and you'll move on to the next one. Its not like they're gonna put you on America's Most Wanted!

Haha just for the laugh, I imagined them putting you on AMW:
"This week, on America's Most Wanted, a man who tried to get a good deal on a Z" *audible shock from studio audience*
Old 01-18-2003, 10:36 PM
gibbous

That's pretty much what I figured... And of course I'm going to try. I'll hit every dealer in southern california before I give up... And it's not so much that I'm waiting specifically for the 04's to come out, but by the time I get my financial situation in proper order it might be that late anyway.

Until then I guess there's not much to do but prepare for battle...
Old 01-19-2003, 05:20 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

If you are talking about the VPP program for suppliers, it doesn't apply yet to the Z. It does, however, apply to the G35C.

Not sure if that is what you are saying you have the opportunity to do, just thought I'd pass that along I tried myself.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:58 AM
soulswimmer

I understand that In SoCal prices are higher than most other places, but 2.5% on a 30K car is $750. Now given the fact that there is still profit for the dealer in selling at invoice, my point/question is this...How much should the dealer make on a car? I feel like the 2.5% over invoice is a reasonable deal for anyone to expect, not just someone who has an angle on price.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:15 PM
gibbous

Originally posted by MannishBoy
If you are talking about the VPP program for suppliers, it doesn't apply yet to the Z. It does, however, apply to the G35C.
Really.............. Perhaps I was given some bad information then. Might need to get back on the phone with the HR people...
Old 01-19-2003, 07:32 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

There have been several threads on it. here is the latest one.

I checked with several people locally, and all came back with the same story. I'm near the Smyrna, TN plant, so most of the dealers are pretty aware of the programs, and I had a couple Nissan employees look into it as well.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:05 PM
gibbous

Well I'll be damned... While I'm glad I know that now, it's pretty disappointing. Maybe by the time I'm ready to get another car they'll have made them eligible. Do you have any idea what that web page mentioned in the other thread is? I'd like to keep an eye on it...

Or maybe I'll just buck up and get a G35C...
Old 01-20-2003, 06:06 AM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

No, I don't. I was figuring to weasle my way in with one of the "friends" type deals. Once I found out it wasn't going to work, I started looking harder for a good deal through normal channels.

I ended up getting the car for within $100 of the VPP deal anyway.

I really started to get the G35C. In reality, the way I would have wanted it equiped, it would have been a better buy (assuming I could get it at the VPP price, or similar to how I got mine). The list price would have been less than my touring for a 6MT without the premium package (still with leather, 18" wheels, brembos, etc).

I had no desire for a sunroof, so that would have suited me fine.