Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

buying an 06 z

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Retistic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying an 06 z

I'm looking to get an 06 manual touring with navigation. Two questions that were brought up at the dealership and I'd really appreciate some help with them.
a) I've had a hard time finding that car in the color that I want. What is the procedure for installing a GPS? I really want the factory look and factory GPS. Is it possible to order it from the Nissan parts department and get it installed at a shop? I know that getting an aftermarket placed in the unit would incorporate audio and make the other audio controls useless so I don't want that. Any recommendations would be helpful
b) There is a Z with the configuration I want in Arizona. I live in California. The dealership told me that I couldn't register it in California because of emissions. My understanding was that all Z's produced for the U.S. were identical. If they are different then I still don't think it would be hard to just change the cat. I think the dealership may be saying this because they wouldn't recieve comission for a car purchased in Arizona, but I'm not sure
Suggestions welcome and thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:36 AM
SIRCRASHALOT

what do you want on your Z i can locate it! color equipment and everything lemme know
Old 03-29-2006, 11:29 PM
Retistic

they already tried to locate it and there are none available in ca
Old 03-30-2006, 04:20 AM
FreeBaGeL

Can't answer the second question, and I don't have experience with the first but just from what I've heard on the forums upgrading to the OEM Navi after purchase is very very expensive, more expensive than it's worth.

I believe I've heard something like (don't quote me here though I'm sure someone will chime in) $2000 just for the unit, and then at least another $1k for the install.

If you want the OEM Nav you're best off getting it at purchase time. If the car you want isn't available in Cali, why not just order it? You have to wait a couple months but it's worth it to get what you want. If you settle for something else a few months down the road when you could've had your ordered car in you may end up regretting it.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:16 AM
usmanasif

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FreeBaGel is correct about the cost of adding OEM nav after purchase. I personally like the OEM nav for its look, GUI, and little features like maintenance reminders, etc and that's why I ordered my Z with it. But if you are against aftermarket nav just due to the reason you have mentioned, you are misinformed. The aftermarket nav will replace the factory stereo entirely and use its spot. It will include audio, video, and navigation all-in-one.

As for the second question, yes, as far as I know, Z's are 50-state legal.