Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Insurance, having it under your parent's name?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 09:30 AM
Mid117

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My insurance/title name is under my parents name, yet I pay it all. Thats why I pay only $850/6 months.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:48 PM
steven88

Originally Posted by Ky Z
Don't take this the wrong way...but, if you're having doubts of being able to afford the car. And by affording the car I mean ALL the costs, not just your monthly payment on the loan. If you're having doubts, then don't buy it. If you're relying on your parents for insurance help the next step is payment help...maintenance help...and on.

Again...not trying to flame.
I totally understand bro...but I do have confidence in buying a 350z
Old 07-25-2006, 10:59 AM
Festus

i got evry thang in my mama name, but im hood rich lada dada dada.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:20 PM
blitzinger1

I'm 18 and I'm getting my Z next week. Its an 06 base model. not sure what color I want yet. I'm under my moms name in insurance (its not really under the table, just a multi car plan) and the insurance will be about 220 a month for me and I have a clean record. My insurance will go down though in November (2 year mark). I'm hopefully getting the Z for around 25k brand new (the cars have been on the lot for a while and they're starting to pick up penalty and interest fees). If they dont go to 25k next week, we'll wait for the end of the month.
Old 08-17-2006, 12:47 PM
Spoiled Z

My parents pay 131 a month insurance for an 06 Touring MT insured in FL but I'm out of state. It seems cheaper to insure it there yay! But I plan to get my own insurance next year as soon as I pay off some of my bills. To make a long story short it's my a$$hole exbf...
Old 08-23-2006, 02:30 PM
ilyaat

Uhmm...I'm 22 and got a quote for full insurance - $200/month for 04 Z (g35c would cost the same). I wounder what my dad would pay...
Old 08-23-2006, 05:06 PM
steven88

Originally Posted by ilyaat
Uhmm...I'm 22 and got a quote for full insurance - $200/month for 04 Z (g35c would cost the same). I wounder what my dad would pay...
$200 a month seems pretty cheap? Then again, it's an older Z so maybe thats why? What company did you call, and which part of California do you live in? I'm in OC
Old 08-23-2006, 07:51 PM
ilyaat

Originally Posted by steven88
$200 a month seems pretty cheap? Then again, it's an older Z so maybe thats why? What company did you call, and which part of California do you live in? I'm in OC
If you want, I can give you name/phone of the Agent I used. He works with 30 different companies and he said that at least 10 of them will give good deal. And the price I got is full cost, which means I can still add 'student', multi car, parents and etc. PM me if interested. What got my attention is G and Z have same insurance rates (at least for me)
Old 08-23-2006, 08:16 PM
steven88

Originally Posted by ilyaat
If you want, I can give you name/phone of the Agent I used. He works with 30 different companies and he said that at least 10 of them will give good deal. And the price I got is full cost, which means I can still add 'student', multi car, parents and etc. PM me if interested. What got my attention is G and Z have same insurance rates (at least for me)
thanks for the offer...but i wont be getting my Z anytime soon...but i wanted to ask anyway...good to know Z insurance doesn't cost as much as i thought...well, actually, this doesn't directly apply to me...only becuz i'll be buying a BRAND NEW Z....and your quote was for an 04

but its still good to know, since my parents said they will help me out with insurance (co signer?)...and i'll just pay them monthly....its crazy how cheap older people can get insurance versus younger drivers!
Old 08-29-2006, 05:52 PM
dudegetalife

Here's the deal, if you are listed as a "secondary driver" they will cover you if you don't put a lot of mile on the car since you will be the secondary. i got in a wreck as a secondary driver ( 10%) on my mustang ( 110 a month 03 v6) hit a fence scraped it up and ****ed up front bumper.

First thing insurance dude looked at is the speedometer and recorded it, i had the car for close to 3 months by then and barely put 1500 miles on it. He was like okay and approved the claim on the spot.

Problems in the future, if you drive a lot or go "cruising" at night for no apparant reason and you like drive 10k+ a year it's not gonna look good if you are listed as secondary.

insurance savings are usually 2x-3x ( on mustangs at least)

oh and insurance company is aaa texas.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:01 PM
xthejokerx

Originally Posted by dudegetalife
Here's the deal, if you are listed as a "secondary driver" they will cover you if you don't put a lot of mile on the car since you will be the secondary. i got in a wreck as a secondary driver ( 10%) on my mustang ( 110 a month 03 v6) hit a fence scraped it up and ****ed up front bumper.

First thing insurance dude looked at is the speedometer and recorded it, i had the car for close to 3 months by then and barely put 1500 miles on it. He was like okay and approved the claim on the spot.

Problems in the future, if you drive a lot or go "cruising" at night for no apparant reason and you like drive 10k+ a year it's not gonna look good if you are listed as secondary.

insurance savings are usually 2x-3x ( on mustangs at least)

oh and insurance company is aaa texas.

sry to bump up old thread but ive got a question.

How will the insurance agent know how many miles u have driven in the car? I mean the car could have 90002 miles all driven by my dad and the last 2 miles driven by me, and I get into an accident.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Theatrix
Professional

First off, Insurance is regulated by state and underwriting rules and filings vary by state as well. What applies to one state may differ either slightly or a whole lot depending on what a carrier's stradegy is in that particular state. I read varing versions of what would be the case in NJ, but I do assume you know what the hell you are talking about.
Having said that, and I'll preface with the fact that I have owned and operated one of the countries largest Allstate books for 20 years, it all depends!
This year we may "buy" business because we want penitration. Next year we may penalize you for being on your parents policy.
In other words, sometimes it may be cheaper for the vehicle to be in your parents name and on your parents policy and when we have had our fill of Loss Ratio, we will file for a rate which discourages this behavior.
At the end of the day, its a business, we are here to make money and when loss ratios adversely affect us, we change.
And please spare me the "Insurance companies only rip off the consumer" speech. If companies did not make a profit, they wouldn't be here. And you would not be protected.
You best option would be to discuss your configuration with your agent/carrier in your state.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:41 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by xthejokerx
sry to bump up old thread but ive got a question.

How will the insurance agent know how many miles u have driven in the car? I mean the car could have 90002 miles all driven by my dad and the last 2 miles driven by me, and I get into an accident.
An agent would not know or care. But after an accident, an investigator would figure out who is the primary and who is the secondary driver. The policy may be declared invalid. You are stuck with the bill. The insurance company drops the entire family, and annotates fraud on your policy history.

Last edited by davidv; 01-06-2007 at 08:45 PM.