Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

What should you get when ordering a car?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 02:09 PM
jerryp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should you get when ordering a car?

I have a question reagrding what you should walk away with from the dealer when ordering a new car. I ordered an '07 350Z Touring model from one of my local dealers 2 weeks ago because they didn't have the combo of colors w/options that I wanted, and for this kind of money I wanted it exact and am willing to wait (to a point).

They demanded a $500 deposit, but I expected as much and was fine with that. I put the deposit on my CC. I was expecting to get some type of paperwork other than a generic $500 CC receipt but they gave me some story about not being able to do anything until the order was 'in the system'. I took that at face value but was uncomfortable just sitting around for the next 2-3 months not knowing if 1) they ever actually ordered it and 2) would it be 100% exactly what I requested. I did inform them when giving the deposit that if it wasn't ordered exactly as I wanted that I would walk from the deal, and whether they believe that or not I intend to do exactly that.

So today, 2 weeks later, I went to the dealership to find out if it had been ordered and also walk out with something showing what's coming so I can verify that it is correct. My fear is that it shows up with the wrong options and/or they try to bait & switch me. I'm not going to budge on the one I want and I don't want to lose 2 or 3 months of waiting only to be dissatisfied and then have to start all over (at another dealer). They tell me that they don't see the car in the system (for delivery), but they suely ordered it and it will be exact, uh huh!

What I want is some paper showing what they've ordered but they claim that they don't have this info and until an invoice is sent to them they are blind to the whole process, blah blah blah. I find this impossible to believe and unacceptable that they order 30k+ cars and then lose track of the details until Nissan decides to get back to them. I know it's BS but have no ammo to back this up.

Anyone on here work for a dealer and can tell me how it really works? I think it's one of two things 1) they don't really want me to see what's in there order system because it has pricing or other info they don't want me to see (nor do I care about it - just want my car info) or 2) they plan to bait/switch me and they know I'll walk now if that's the case. Option 3 is I'm worried about nothing, but I'v been waiting 6 months already for the '07 and now that's its heere I don't want to lose 6 months waiting for mine to show. Everyone makes mistakes from time to time, I want them to account for the order now so I dont have to wait all this time for a 'mistake' to show up at the door and now I start over.

Is it fair for me to demand some type of paperwork or walk on the deal? If they try to hold my deposit I feel I should be able to charge-back as they have not delivered me anything stating what I'm getting for my $500.

How does this work - I've never ordered a new car before.

Thanks!
Jerry

Last edited by jerryp; 02-24-2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You typically put down a deposit when placing an order. I put down $500 (as did you). I also received paperwork (Sales Order) when I bought mine. On there, it stated the $500 cash deposit and the amount of my trade in. The remaining amount will be due upon delivery.

If you back out of the deal, they keep your deposit.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:15 PM
HighwaySpeed

Exclamation

That Dealer Is Full Of ****.

Get A Refund.

Go To Another Dealer.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, and I would NOT put down any money unless you go through a sales agreement; negotiate the purchase price, options, trade-in, etc.

They will be able to get you an ETA of when to expect the vehicle. Luckily in my case, they were able to locate the exact car that I wanted already on a boat on its way over here. They made a deal with the dealer that was expecting it and had it routed to here.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:21 PM
davidv

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome. Great question before ordering a car.

a. What you get is a contract showing model, options, color and price.
b. What you ask to add is note which reads something like this:
If vehicle is not delivered on of before such-and-such date, this contact is void. Deposit will be returned within 24 hours.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:26 PM
jerryp

Default yep

Originally Posted by davidv
Welcome. Great question before ordering a car.

a. What you get is a contract showing model, options, color and price.
b. What you ask to add is note which reads something like this:
If vehicle is not delivered on of before such-and-such date, this contact is void. Deposit will be returned within 24 hours.
yep, I agree, I do have the cart before the horse. however, they did not ask me to sign any purchase agreement or anything. everything was very casual and there was no negotiation because I used the VPP (Vehicale Purcahse Program) so the price is pre-negotiated (PLAN D).

I get the feeling that I really don't have anything ordered base don not having an actual agreement. Maybe someone can comment on whether the VPP deals are different or not??? It definitely doesn't feel right to me. I'm not too worried about the $500 bacause I'm pretty sure I can cancel or worst-case charge-back given the circumstances, but I feel like I really haven't ordered a car at this point....
Old 02-24-2007, 02:27 PM
Z_Driver
Master

Sounds to me like they are trying to find one in the system and trade for it instead of ordering it. I ordered mine via internet. They confirmed it with a email copy of all the options retail and my price for each item.

Car was ordered - Cancelled the order the next day cause I found one exactly like I wanted on a lot. They refunded deposit..... I checked with them first. In California they have to return your deposit UNLESS it is clearly stated on the contract that it is a non-refundable deposit. Actually, I think even if it is called a non-refundable deposit in Calif they have to refund it.

I think Calif law actually says something like all deposits (Keyword) have to be refunded if item / service is not delivered or something like that. They just use it to shake you down a bit and make sure your really interested.
If the deal went bad and they are honorable they would most likely return your deposit saying ..... We're going to be nice here ... We want to keep our good name etc..... But, I think really they have to return it by law in Calif IF they call it a deposit.

I'd like to see a Calif Attorney chime in on this one....

Last edited by Z_Driver; 02-24-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:33 PM
davidv

Originally Posted by jerryp
yep, I agree, I do have the cart before the horse. however, they did not ask me to sign any purchase agreement or anything. everything was very casual and there was no negotiation because I used the VPP (Vehicale Purcahse Program) so the price is pre-negotiated (PLAN D).

I get the feeling that I really don't have anything ordered base don not having an actual agreement. Maybe someone can comment on whether the VPP deals are different or not??? It definitely doesn't feel right to me. I'm not too worried about the $500 bacause I'm pretty sure I can cancel or worst-case charge-back given the circumstances, but I feel like I really haven't ordered a car at this point....
It cool. Some dealers will work with a handshake, others a contract. Both work well. I just feel more comfortable with a contract. I doubt if VPP makes a difference. BTW we have debated VPP pricing several times. Some members have found that negotiating the price is better than the VPP price.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:07 PM
I1DER

I'm in WA. state and I always have ordered cars to get exactly what I want. Here it is true that you can get the deposit back, but it can be a hassle.

However, here is what happened when I ordered my Z last year:
Last week in March decided on color and options, made a $500 deposit in form of a check, and was given a piece of paper signed by the manager with the specific details of the order and told it takes about 3 months. It's ordered one month, built the second month and shipped the 3rd month. I'm sure they tried to find one on the West coast via a dealer trade and couldn't. There was one with the Nav option, but I didn't want it.
This particular dealer places all orders for the month at the same time which was the 1st week in April. They don't get the VIN number of the car until it is in production. In May they had from Nissan the estimated date of arrival and I think I had the VIN number in late May. The car's estimated arrival was set at end of July(4 months not 3). I believe the cars are shipped to CA. then trucked to WA. The car arrived earlier(July 14th). It was worth the wait. There was no official paperwork until Nissan(I assume in Japan) had the production of it scheduled and it was in their computer system(about 6 weeks after I ordered it).

Last edited by I1DER; 02-24-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:36 PM
rglbegl

The dealer is hoping and praying that they get one like what you ordered, or can trade for one.
Nissan dealers are allowed to place orders about 9 times a year. So ther is 1 month of waiing. Typically a nissan store may take up to 4 months to get an ORDERED a car. Especially one comeing from Japan.
But if they did not furnish you with at least a reciept for you $500 you may get worried now. ( bill of sale would be nice, even an order sheet. You are safe from fraud though )
Have fun waiting

Last edited by rglbegl; 02-24-2007 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:12 PM
jerryp

Default why play the game?

Originally Posted by rglbegl
The dealer is hoping and praying that they get one like what you ordered, or can trade for one.
Nissan dealers are allowed to place orders about 9 times a year. So ther is 1 month of waiing. Typically a nissan store may take up to 4 months to get an ORDERED a car. Especially one comeing from Japan.
But if they did not furnish you with at least a reciept for you $500 you may get worried now. ( bill of sale would be nice, even an order sheet. You are safe from fraud though )
Have fun waiting
What does the dealer gain my trying to find one for me instead of ordering one. I'm doing VPP so I know they are making minimum 5% on the deal - I don't see how swapping or trading with another dealer they could make more profit that just putting my order through, since the other dealer would want some cut. Only thing that could change is that they make the sale a month or two earlier, but I would assume at less profit....? They already searched the pipeline supposedly and couldn't locate a deal now. I would think it would be in their best interest to get me to sign a deal in ink....
Old 02-24-2007, 09:14 PM
rglbegl

What does the dealer gain my trying to find one for me instead of ordering one. I'm doing VPP so I know they are making minimum 5% on the deal - I don't see how swapping or trading with another dealer they could make more profit that just putting my order through, since the other dealer would want some cut. Only thing that could change is that they make the sale a month or two earlier, but I would assume at less profit....? They already searched the pipeline supposedly and couldn't locate a deal now. I would think it would be in their best interest to get me to sign a deal in ink....
They get the same either way. Order or dealertrade. But by making you give them $500 it insures you are buying there. Once you give them money, you stop shopping around. They told you what you wanted to hear so they could get the deal and prevent you from looking at other dealers
Old 02-24-2007, 09:25 PM
jerryp

They get the same either way. Order or dealertrade. But by making you give them $500 it insures you are buying there. Once you give them money, you stop shopping around. They told you what you wanted to hear so they could get the deal and prevent you from looking at other dealers
Yes, I agree. So why don't they just order one up for me and not play games? At the end of the day i *KNOW* I can get my $500 back. They have nothing signed from me, and have given me nothing. I paid with my CC so they really only have me on hassle factor, because the laws are in my favor living in CA and paying with CC. I'm pretty sure they haven't actually ordered me a car. If they have then they should be able to give me some data on it, and then I'll gladly take it. Otherwise they aren't out anything and can't hold my 'deposit'.

I'm not looking to haggle or play games, just write them a check for the exact car I want, at the VPP price. Seems simple, huh? They told me that they won't know how much the car will cost until they get the invoice, and since VPP is based off invoice, they can't even tell me how much this will cost. Does this make sense to anyone? Maybe they're so used to screwing everyone that they don't know how to do a square deal when they see one?

It's not a heart transplant, it's a car. As much as a I really want a Z, I'll walk before I get screwed, or even *think* I'm getting screwed. And I'm just about to cancel the whole thing with these guys.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:32 PM
davidv

What does the dealer gain my trying to find one for me instead of ordering one.
Nothing. No dealer is going to give up a 2007 in February. Maybe midyear with several on the lot but not February.
Old 02-25-2007, 01:19 AM
jerryp

Originally Posted by Z_Driver
Sounds to me like they are trying to find one in the system and trade for it instead of ordering it. I ordered mine via internet. They confirmed it with a email copy of all the options retail and my price for each item.

Car was ordered - Cancelled the order the next day cause I found one exactly like I wanted on a lot. They refunded deposit..... I checked with them first. In California they have to return your deposit UNLESS it is clearly stated on the contract that it is a non-refundable deposit. Actually, I think even if it is called a non-refundable deposit in Calif they have to refund it.

I think Calif law actually says something like all deposits (Keyword) have to be refunded if item / service is not delivered or something like that. They just use it to shake you down a bit and make sure your really interested.
If the deal went bad and they are honorable they would most likely return your deposit saying ..... We're going to be nice here ... We want to keep our good name etc..... But, I think really they have to return it by law in Calif IF they call it a deposit.

I'd like to see a Calif Attorney chime in on this one....
Hey ZDRIVER - If you don't mind me asking, which dealer did you end up going through and were you/are you happy? I'm in the Bay Area too so I thought I'd ask your opinion on the area dealers.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:17 AM
Lsmith9523

ZDriver,,,,paying a deposit as such is best with a CC as you did...You always have 60days to dispute any charge. I would use that as a tool with the dealership. If I were you,,,I would sit them down,,explain how I feel and ask them to please provide proof of order,,options, ect. ect. make sure the nego. price is listed. And in a polite, professional way,,,say if all things are not exact as listed,,,you would like your deposit back and go elsewhere...

If they say "sorry about your deposit",,,then mention, you will just dispute it with your CC company. Watch how quick the dealership comes around...LOL Trust me,,,I had a similar situation when I ordered my Nissan Titan three years ago.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:58 AM
rhaas

Originally Posted by camaro194
You typically put down a deposit when placing an order. I put down $500 (as did you). I also received paperwork (Sales Order) when I bought mine. On there, it stated the $500 cash deposit and the amount of my trade in. The remaining amount will be due upon delivery.

If you back out of the deal, they keep your deposit.
+1

I received a sales order as well as a receipt but neither listed the exact vehicle configuration. I did write all of the details on the check I gave them. Also, I received a printout from the Nissan NA inventory system. My situation was somewhat unique, though, in that my car had actually already been built but not yet claimed by/assigned to a dealer.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:23 AM
rglbegl

Hey Jerry - - -Where do you live and what Dealership is it?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:50 AM
jerryp

Hey Jerry - - -Where do you live and what Dealership is it?
San Jose. Stevens Creek Nissan.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:21 PM
aonyoung

i live in pleasant hill,ca. i just bought mine yesterday. i bought it in oakland (connell nissan). they also did say the same thing. they said that they couldn't do anything until they have the VIN number of the vehicle. and they told me that they will contact me and do the paperwork in 3 or 4 days until they got the VIN number of the car.
Actually i am kind of afraid too right now...

Quick Reply: What should you get when ordering a car?