Buying a 350z? First car? - Page 2 - MY350Z.COM - Nissan 350Z and 370Z Forum Discussion

Notices
Buying/Leasing 350Z/370Z Purchasing Info

Buying a 350z? First car?

Old 03-20-2007, 09:22 PM
Blacryan

Originally Posted by ant18290
Please, I have showed all the members here respect, please do the same to me. It may have been a repeated question in the past, but if questions werent asked there would be no forum. I mean to start no flame war but I respect every here, and you seem to have many posts and maybe a known member and i do respect you, but I think you wouldnt like to be talked down to if you were new. I think you would like to be treated the same.

Back to topic.

I looked up Evo's and there around the same price as 350's so theres no point in that, but maybe im looking at the wrong ones.

The Subaru WRX I saw were...Well very ugly and I dont want that.

Also, Can anyone give me some more pointers, Thanks everyone I really appreciate this
People were suggesting the Evo's for a reason. Not because of hte price but because they are AWD and not RWD. They have many added safety features and options. They are 4doors, can have friends ride with you. And they are faster than the Z, and the price to mod is nothing compared to the Z.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:09 PM
redsoxfan184524
Nts Nts Nts Nts

get an rsx...

im turning 19 in july, and am saving up for a z. but that wont be for a year. i drive a 1996 chevy beretta w/ 186K miles on her.

i know your in HS and want all your friends and the ladies to love your car...but your only 17, you dont need a car w/ so much HP as your 1st car. like everyone else said, get a cheap car.

with you having 13K, get a credit card, buy a cheap car, and pay off the card to build good credit. thats my plan so hopefully it works out.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:37 AM
KManZ
Banned

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
3. I know you think you know better. I know you think you will be / already are a responsible driver. It doesn't matter. You lack experience and this should not be your first car.

4. I know you think you know better, but I'm right.

5. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear. So you are going to ignore me. You will hear many people who agree with me, and a few 17 year old (kids) who will tell you not to listen to me.
Priceless

Seriously, a RWD car is a different beast than a FWD. Treat it like a FWD in the rain, and you are toast. Try to drive it in any type of snow, toast. Let off the throttle on a fast corner.. possibility of toast. Lots of variables that you haven't experienced... learn to drive a FWD first, then graduate to a RWD Sports car.

My advice: RSX Type-S. They are discontinued now, prices are falling. Fun car, excellent interior and reliability. Very mod friendly too.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:15 PM
davidv

Question

How is the shopping coming along?
Old 04-22-2007, 12:13 AM
TheGest

dont do it, buy a fwd car for a first car, you have plenty of time
Old 04-22-2007, 01:34 AM
I1DER

This thread has the best advice I've seen given in a helpful way to such a young poster. This should be a sticky and a lesson to the youngest generation that making a well thought out post, maturely written will get you the most caring answers/opinions.

OP, if your heart is set on a sports car then an older one like the 240 or 260Z is great advice. Probably easier to work on with less high tech equipment, lower insurance, and enough power to be comfortable with. You won't be a slave to your car for payments, and will learn whether or not the unique, somewhat limiting, characteristics of a small 2 seat, RWD car is your style. You will still have money for mods and enjoying your youth which can't be replaced later.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:04 AM
ARCHANGEL

Thumbs up

I would say get a 2001- 2002 Miata. Quite possibly one of the most reliable and fun to drive RWD cars on the road today. You can also mod the crap out of them . The possiblilities are limitless, Auto X monster, daily driver, easy to supercharge or Turbo, they are FANTASTIC cars. Parts are dirt cheap and that engine is literally bulletproof. I have owned two and I think I will own many more. Dont let other people tell you its a "*****" car or it doesnt have "*****" everyone who makes that typical statement has never driven one. Also a 240sx is an EXCELLENT choice if you can find one that hasnt been abused which is getting to be rare nowdays.

Last edited by ARCHANGEL; 04-22-2007 at 06:06 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:15 PM
bryanbarclay15

my advice being i am 19 and i got my license at 16 and my first vehicle was a f-150 lightning and it took me 3 months before i rear ended someone.. then not long after that i moved to my car i have now which is a toyota celica gt... its not very fast but it is a good looking car which the 350z design came from or so i heard.. but it is a reliable car and u can afford the GT-S model which comes with a 6MT and 180 hp and can run 14s in teh 1/4 mile that would be a good first car to learn in and it has 4 seats so you can bring a few of your friends around in.. plus you can pay off one and mod it the way you want.. just my .02
Old 04-26-2007, 11:33 AM
・・・Z・・・

I'm 19 and don't have a Z or a sports car at the moment because I listened to the words from my parents. They finally have enough trust in me now to drive around a 2 door sports car so I'll be buying one over the summer. Everything Wired 24/7 and more was mentioned to me 3 years ago. My parents were willing to spend money on my first car, but not on a RWD sports car. I'm sure your parents feel the same way with the safety of their son in mind. Definitely not trying to be a dick about it, but you're definitely not experienced enough as a driver. Why not buy a class D Impreza 2.5RS (AWD 4 door sedans with a lot of potential)?

・・・Z・・・
Old 04-28-2007, 04:45 PM
The Brickyard Rat
350Z-holic

While I agree with others that an older car would be better for your first car at your age, it is not the critical issue. The latter is whether your brain can control your hormones and right foot rather than the other way.

We have seen countless threads on here about guys your age being killed or maimed driving the current Z.

Some young guys can handle it; others can't. We can never tell the difference until its too late. We really do not want to be reading about your funeral.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:06 PM
quicki

insurance will rape you!
Old 05-02-2007, 12:20 PM
Dbleupr

Insurance rapes me in a dirty, dirty way. I'm still young at 23 but if I were 6 years younger I would have loose stools by now.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:37 PM
CodyTheBowler

Originally Posted by quicki
insurance will rape you!
Not entirely true. I was quoted $200/month at 18 years old. However, I don't have any tickets/accidents.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Mid117

Originally Posted by Shabba2
No one has mentioned a nice '03-'05 Spec V. Fantastic car, 4 seater, great mpg and fairly cheap insurance...a very good first car imo and something this young man would appreciate in many ways.
My friend has one of those, very fun to drive, has loads of torque for a 4-banger.

^That's probably the best idea here
Old 05-06-2007, 11:34 PM
jb86

Default .

get a lexus sc400 or sc300 a very nice clean one can be bought for 13k or less, and they aren't slow by any means. I currently drive an sc4 looking to get into a g35 or a Z

(not mine)

Last edited by jb86; 05-07-2007 at 02:43 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:19 PM
billedoc

i agree with you wired about not being his first car, but the z was my first car when i was 16 and ive won scca solo2 championship events. im probably the youngest in socal to win. so i dont think you can say i dont have experience. i know how understeer feels, oversteer feels, and torque steer. you never know. this guy may be a autocross champion. lol
Old 05-08-2007, 05:37 AM
zeekle

billedoc for every one of you there are 100 kids "flipping their car at 20 miles an hour or because the wind made them lose control"

Congrats btw
Old 05-12-2007, 08:19 AM
Kegsbane

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
1. A 350Z, or any high powered sports car, should not be your first car. I'm not saying this because I'm a jerk. I was where you are, and after living through my teenage and college years, I believe this to be true.

2. You should not build up debt at your age. Forget about down payments. Take the 13k cash you have, and buy a used car. 13k will buy you a very nice used car.

3. I know you think you know better. I know you think you will be / already are a responsible driver. It doesn't matter. You lack experience and this should not be your first car.

4. I know you think you know better, but I'm right.

5. I know this isn't what you wanted to hear. So you are going to ignore me. You will hear many people who agree with me, and a few 17 year old (kids) who will tell you not to listen to me.

6. It's your life, do what you want. But I'm not warning you because I am jealous of you. I was a spoiled brat too and I got a car from the parents right after getting my license, but I never got a sports car as my first car (even though I wanted one badly) and I'm glad for it now that I'm 24.
+1000

I fully expect you to be like most of the other kids on here though and not listen to anything you don't want to hear. God knows I did the same thing.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:51 PM
StylesCD

Originally Posted by ant18290
Btw, Im not 15. Im 17, NJ law is currently 17 for licensing(16 for permit but i got mine alittle late) and soon to be 18 if a law passes, But the 18 law is a rumor ive heard for a while now.
I like the A4 though
out here its 17 for license.....

i'd say get a saab....my parents gave me their old saab as my first car and it was awsome....cause it like luxury and has a little button on the shifter that says S.....click it and you have a sports car

and chix lover leather heated seats in the winter
Old 05-14-2007, 03:03 PM
larfboy

good first car is a tc...personally i had a civic as my first...but it got totalled because some dude swerved into my lane on the freeway. so i got money for the civic and used it to downpay a tc...tc is a very good car with no engine problems. it's an awesome first car. i've been driving it for 2 years and not one problem yet. im currently 21 and saving up for a z hopefully by next year. want to trade in my tc for downpayment. alright good luck with your purchase.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a 350z? First car?

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: